Oh for crying out loud (Germany is about to ban the prong) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
It's ok Sunflowers, Mrs.K. said they would still make them. They're legal to own, so people will still buy them. Yay, we don't have to worry about using crappy imitations, lol.
Not to mention, they probably sell as many outside of Germany, or more. I think there will always be a way to get them.
blackshep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Not to mention, they probably sell as many outside of Germany, or more. I think there will always be a way to get them.
Exactly.

Plus, this was brought to my attention:
Deutscher Bundestag: Regierung will Stachelhalsbänder nicht verbieten

Looks like there are some people with common sense. I apologize that this wasn't available in english.

This is with the google translator.
Google Translate
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
That is how bad it has gotten that the sleeve has to be a toy because of the publics perception that the dogs are turned into sharp attack dogs. They also talked about the soft stick and why it seems that the helper hits the dog. Sometimes I wonder if all these changes have been made because of the dogs or because of the publics pressure and perception.
I think that it is probably a feedback loop.

Public perception of SchH may not only change the the sport, but the dogs as well. If they want to portray GSDs as happy dogs playing with toys, that is what the public will want too... and so breeders may cater to that market... and then the sport has to be softened so the dogs can still compete... and softened more by the AR groups... so hardness in the dogs is no longer selected for... ad nauseum.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I think that it is probably a feedback loop.

Public perception of SchH may not only change the the sport, but the dogs as well. If they want to portray GSDs as happy dogs playing with toys, that is what the public will want too... and so breeders may cater to that market... and then the sport has to be softened so the dogs can still compete... and softened more by the AR groups... so hardness in the dogs is no longer selected for... ad nauseum.
There is a growing "underground" movement that has abandoned SchH and trains dogs to be "real" protections dogs not playing with toys. So long as they keep breeding, real dogs will always exist, albeit be harder to find
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Is pubic perception really driving the changes in Schutzhund? At least around here, the "public" has no idea what Schutzhund is. When they ask "what does your dog do?" and I say "well, mainly Schutzhund and lots of other dog sports..." they say "schutzwhat??" so I explain what it is. I can't say I've ever met someone as part of the general public that 1) knows what Schutzhund is and 2) has an opinion on how it is trained. I do see lots and lots of people who have years of experience doing it driving a change in training style.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Is pubic perception really driving the changes in Schutzhund? At least around here, the "public" has no idea what Schutzhund is. When they ask "what does your dog do?" and I say "well, mainly Schutzhund and lots of other dog sports..." they say "schutzwhat??" so I explain what it is. I can't say I've ever met someone as part of the general public that 1) knows what Schutzhund is and 2) has an opinion on how it is trained. I do see lots and lots of people who have years of experience doing it driving a change in training style.
I think we are talking about Germany.

But it could happen here, too, if it isn't already.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Pubic perception, at the core, drives all men's behaviors lol
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry, my joke drive has very low threshold for activation
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I agree. The emphasis is on "happy" and the road to happy is less stress nowadays. When you remove the stress, you lose the ability to see how well the dog can think/function under stress. Ideally, you want temperament that can deal with stress and still be upbeat and cooperative and able to bond with the handler. You also want a dog who can use his aggression and fight drive and not lose his mind. It is a different story teaching "control" when a dog really means it vs when he is playing. The good dogs, they can control themselves in one regard while going "all out" in another.

Of course, there are beasts out there who train dogs and can kill just about any dog's spirit, but.... there were such trainers years ago and many of the dogs could handle it much better than the dogs now.
There was a level of toughness and a strong desire in the dogs to work for the handler. Those character traits allowed them to overcome the adversity. A GSD should have a certain amount of fortitude and there should be a test that will put it more clearly on display. Either way though, you have to be a trainer to see who your dogs are and the methods matters in that regard.

I expect my dogs to be able to think when I apply a little stress and I do that from the very start. I prefer to see who they are before they have the benefit of training. The really good dogs work their way through things very quickly. Their attitude is not bruised by it and usually, they take that stress and make some fuel out of it. The good ones have the ability to channel it, without becoming resistent, nasty, frightened or panicked. Only takes a few minutes and they have figured it out and moved on.

These things can't be seen with other methods and that's not saying people should not use them. However, I think breeders should not be looking for the ability to earn points, they should be looking at the dog and actually undertstand what they are seeing. Again, for me, that requires that I train dogs and have an ability, to read them. That is a skill that has been going away for some time now. The emphasis has shifted more to training designed to make the dogs appear to be something that they might not really be.

Anne
www.adlerstein.com

Last edited by Vandal; 11-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.