"Crawling" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Crawling"

This was brought up in another thread and I'm curious but it should probably have its own topic. What do you make of dogs that "crawl" next to their handler, usually when heeling towards the blind before an attack?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've not seen it enough to know why the dog was crawling...though if it is a creepy crawl, I'd say it is not something I'd want and train the dog NOT to do it.

I've seen stalking behavior but that is the dog moving forward low stealthily.

Anyone have vid's to share?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I've not seen it enough to know why the dog was crawling...though if it is a creepy crawl, I'd say it is not something I'd want and train the dog NOT to do it.

I've seen stalking behavior but that is the dog moving forward low stealthily.

Anyone have vid's to share?
Ditto the ones I've seen were always in a stealth mode, excited, anxious moving forward to get that darn bite already.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

in the old days of training some of the hardest toughest dogs were trained with a great deal of compulsion , a picture of a well known dog comes to mind but for the life of me I cannot recall the name of this particular dog -- the drive for the fight was so strong , the compulsion was needed for the control in the heel prior to launch for attack -- lots of "obedience" looked like the dog was being suppressed, because they were -- this however is not the crawl or reduction in size out of timidity or softness !!
This was prior to dogs being tricked into obedience with balls and treats.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I like it. Tells me the dog wants to get his bite so badly that he has had a good amount of compulsion put into him to control his drive and keep him in obedience. But then again, I have seen soft dogs do this because they are just being shifty. But generally, I like it. I actually hate seeing a perfect heel to the blind or when trying to pass bitework for shows. Those dogs don't bring it like the ones that stalk and stealth their prey
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

By crawl do you mean "stalk"?
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I've seen dogs crawl and I've seen dogs stalk, and there is a definitely, obvious difference between the two. With stalking, it is just that.. the dog is stalking the helper. I have a female who tends to always heel this way in protection (but never in obedience) and that is exactly what she is doing. It wasn't created through compulsion, of which she needed very little.

Then there are dogs who are crawling because they feel pressure. That pressure could be from the handler, could be from the helper and situation. Might be pressure felt just that day, might be a long term pattern of pressure due to compulsive training. Maybe the dog really had a lot of compulsion put on him. Maybe he didn't but is a softer dog and feels pressure more keenly than he should.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I like it. Tells me the dog wants to get his bite so badly that he has had a good amount of compulsion put into him to control his drive and keep him in obedience.
Interesting opinion. One I certainly don't share. I don't want a dog who has needed a good deal of compulsion to keep him in control. The GSD isn't supposed to be a breed that requires constant threat of correction to keep him doing what his handler says, no matter what else he may want to do. And there are plenty of very hard, powerful, serious dogs out there who do not need that level of compulsion to maintain control. The ability to stay in control without excessive complusion certainly doesn't equate to a dog who doesn't want to engage the helper. And needing compulsion to stay in control isn't to me a way to measure if it's a tough, drivey dog.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you use compulsion in your dogs?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Of course some corrections are required to train a dog in this venue. But it shouldn't take extreme compulsion over the long haul.. to the point that creates crawling... to gain compliance. With too many dogs, control is a constant, daily battle. That is not the way it should be. Nor is it something that should be considered to automatically go with the territory if it's a tough dog, or be considered proof of the dog's drive and toughness. There are plenty of tough dogs that do not need it and do not battle their handler.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.