German Shepherds Forum banner

Trial and error; Our first fail in IPO

9K views 67 replies 30 participants last post by  Betty 
#1 ·
So as some of you know, Aiden and I were prepping for our IPO2. The trial was a little over two weeks ago and I decided that I wanted to share our story in case there are any other novice Schutzhund handlers out there trialing with their first dog that feel the way I do.

Many of you know about Aiden's handler sensitivity. He's relatively soft when it comes to some corrections. He's had a history of shutting down on me in tracking and lacks some serious confidence, but we have been working on it quite a bit and I am happy to report some major improvement!

Tracking conditions were absolutely perfect. It was about 45-50 degrees with very moist grass. I could pretty much see every step. Aiden tracked beautifully up to the first article on the second leg. He had a fast indication, but started before I actually sent him after showing the article. It kind of screwed us up and he shorted the second turn but went straight to the third leg and went trucking down to the second article. 81 points was a full ten points higher than our IPO1! I was thrilled.

Start

Second turn

Third leg

Obedience was fun. His heeling was off (not the greatest head position) but he stayed with me. His motion exercises were beautiful. We had a brief moment of panic when I threw the dumbbell and it rolled all the way over the where the wall is, so I took the re-throw. When I sent him over the jump he ran over to the wall, realized he was wrong, and then came back to the jump. He was so close to it at that point that it was probably the most awkward jump I had ever seen, but it did it. :) He did a gorgeous, fast, straight send out with a quick down. 84 points..12 points higher than our IPO1!

Ready to go!

Flat retrieve

Retrieve over the hurdle

Retrieve over the wall

Send out

Then protection..Well he entered the blind with a super bark and hold. Nice and confident without the usual "BooWOOWOO" that he sometimes does. Excellent call out and set up for the escape. Nice bite and clean out with a great guard. And then the drive..He was stepped on and came off the sleeve with a pitiful and heartbreaking scream. Knowing how sensitive he can be, I realized that he wasn't actually injured but really just confused, since that has never ever happened before and he is a vocal guy. He went back for the bite again and the two of them ended up getting tangled up again and he came off. Started doing a bark and hold and I just walked up and sat him before anything else happened. Judge was nice enough to let me send him to the car with the sleeve. Aiden was fine and I was devastated.

Bark and Hold

Escape

Out and Guard

We were so close to something that I never even conceived as an achievable title before! After a few days of thinking, I came to the realization that although Aiden is not a hard dog whatsoever, there was nothing that we could have trained for to prevent a situation like that from happening. A soft dog isn't going to change at heart, but that isn't really a training failure on my part either. We gave it our best **** shot and we rocked it pretty good. So in light of that, we will be trying again in two weeks. He's as ready as he'll ever be, so long as the helper doesn't step on him.

I've heard a few people say to me that he shouldn't be competing and I shouldn't even be training him because he is such a soft dog, but I have come to the realization that I really don't give two craps what other people think of my dog. ;) He came from a pretty terrible upbringing with some seriously squirrelly genetics and we became a pretty decent team in IPO in the last few years. No, he will not be going to Nationals or even Regionals, but we will get our IPO2 and IPO3 and we will be **** proud. It's not a breeding title for me and I don't need to hear about the fact that Schutzhund is a breed suitability test, because I already know that and I honestly don't think it applies in this situation whatsoever considering the fact that he will never be bred. But I think the fact that I took a dog who came from nothing and took him this far says something. Especially considering the fact that he is my first Schutzhund dog and German Shepherd ever, and most people would have given up on him a long, long time ago.

I'm not going to lie, I've never really failed much at anything before. Usually if I put my mind to it, I succeed however, I have never worked with another living being before in this aspect. Bottom line is, he is a dog and the helper is a human and things are going to happen that are completely out of my control. I feel good knowing that we weren't run off the field and that Aiden really didn't know the difference between getting his IPO2 or failing that day. I still love the bajeezus out of him and I know that we are still very capable of getting that title. I was so upset after failing because it was the last phase after getting two really good scores (for us) and we were just so darn close, but then I realized that it means nothing to him, and he loves me just the same.

I just wanted to spread some encouraging words to other people like me, who know what they have in their dog and are sometimes made to feel ashamed of it. There is nothing wrong about having a dog who isn't the greatest Schutzhund dog ever. The fact that I went out there and trialed and failed made me feel like an ever stronger handler than the sideline critics. Aiden and I are working our butts off in this sport, and we deserve every little chance that we can get. Just because he isn't from titled parents or a working line breeder doesn't mean that we shouldn't be allowed to try.

I'd also like to encourage more people to get out there and trial. There's no shame in failing if you truly think that your dog is ready. Sure, they can chose to pull out the crazy moves on trial day and it can cost you the title, but at least you will be out there and doing it. Not many people can say that. So we will try again. Wish us some better luck this time around!

Thanks for listening to our story/rant. Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest quality, but I'll post the link to the actual trial photo site. My Uncle Rob was nice enough to take them for the club.

Rob Gierthy Photography : Other : Schutzhund 10/20/2012

See less See more
#3 ·
You have so freakin' much to be proud of!! Good for you, girl! You and Aiden are an amazing team and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says, as long as you two are growing and having fun! I am inspired by you both, he's an amazing dog and you are an amazing handler. Way to go! A title is a title - what really matters is how you two perform together as a team against the odds; considering the obstacles you have with him in terms of his softness, etc.

Good job!!

#5 ·
Thanks for sharing! You should be very proud of yourself and your dog. It is very evident in your posts that although aiden may not be the greatest IPO dog ever born, that you two are an awesome team!:) I would take that over a strong dog any day.

#6 ·
I am so very happy and proud of you two!

I have a dog who could not continue in the sport, as hard as I and my trainers tried. I know what it takes and honestly - MUCH RESPECT - for how far you guys have come!

I had to start over with another dog and the disappointment that caused is really upsetting sometimes - I get what you desire and only YOU know what YOUR dog can do!

Congrats on the 1, and on trying for the 2 and a HUGE "GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN on the redo of the 2!"!!!! ;)

#7 ·
Kudos to you both for having the guts to compete in the sport. Competing out here is really hard on people. Basically nobody will take a newbie! There is always room for improvement - you can only get a higher score next trial!

Be proud that you have a dog who will work for you! Some dogs are such a joy to work.. keep at it and good luck

#9 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement and support guys! :)

It's tough being new in this sport, and even tougher when you start out with the wrong 'tool'..Aiden's made it pretty difficult for me, but I honestly think it has taught me so much more than an easy dog would have. I'm thankful that I even have the chance to trial again.

Let's just cross our fingers that it turns out better this time around! And if for some freak reason it doesn't, then I guess there's always next year.

#11 ·
You guys are super and think about how awesome you will do with your next dog learning with a dog that really tests you. I understand what the naysayers are saying...except you will not breed aiden. I guess I understand the point that if you WERE planning on breeding you could con some people into thinking he was a crazy hard dog because of his titles. But the bottom line is this sport has to be "friendly" to all on a club level in order to survive. If we only allowed people with perfect dogs to give it a go then hardly anyone could do the sport.

#12 ·
Thanks for sharing!

I don't know if you saw my thread in this forum, but I have a bit of a soft dog and I really want to give schutzhund a try, so I'm really glad you shared your experience! Wishing you all the best at your next attempt, I know you can do it!

If it makes you feel any better, I just watched a trial on the weekend, and there was a Rottie who actually fled from the handler. I'm sure his owner was crushed, the dog looked like such a sweetie and his handlers love for him was very evident, so I was really rooting for them. There was also a guy there who's dog went over the wall, but on the way back went around it and he yanked the dumbell out of his mouth. Nobody was impressed with that poor display of sportsmanship.

I'm glad you're looking at the big picture. Sounds like you had a bit of bad luck, but hopefully next time will be better!

#13 ·
I read this quote someone posted after the Nationals this past weekend. It really is fitting and you should be very proud of your accomplishments with Aiden!
THE MAN IN THE ARENA
Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"
delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

#14 ·
to the OP
I know that Schutzhund people prefer harder dogs. The strongest people in my club would probably be very happy that you had no intention of breeding your dog. So given that --
If you and your dog enjoy the work, if you are both happy with training and working towards a title or anything else -- go for it! My bottom line is that I do what makes me and my dog happy. My dog isn't soft but I try to work without compulsion. I take a lot of noise about it. I am old. I grew up an outspoken odd ball in a small town. So what of their noise? Sometimes I think Schutzhund is more what kind of stattic the handlers can give one another.
If you enjoy the work, if you and your dog are having a good time - keep doing it.

#15 ·
Congratulations on the excellent improvements in A and B. Stuff happens and you have a wonderful attitude about your dog and yourself. Too many people would have given up or been mad at the dog.

At a trial I attended recently one of the teams failed tracking. The handler put the dog up for sale right then and there. No thought for the dog, no consideration for circumstances or maybe for the failing of their own training. The dog is junk and needs to go. It made me so sad, and angry, because these dogs give us everything they have yet it never seems to be good enough for many people.

#16 ·
Thanks!

I've actually had more than one person tell me to just give him up and buy a new dog. I my opinion, I think that any handler or trainer with that attitude is really just lazy and selfish. If you can't accept your dog for who they are and figure out a different way to make it work, then you're in it for all the wrong reasons. And if you really can't come up with any way to train a soft dog, then what kind of trainer are you really?

Anytime someone judges Aiden and I, I ask to see them take a dog like him and prep for an IPO2. Having a dog who's good at IPO is cake in comparison to what I have had to to through with this dog. I love him to death, but I really can't wait to get a puppy in the future and see the difference between training him and a working line dog bred for the sport. I think it'll be very interesting..

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#19 · (Edited)
Such an amazing display of sportsmanship and proper conduct. I myself have a lot to learn from your post! I just want to say that you are handling yourself beautifully. I've seen and know people that would lash out at the helper if he/she stepped on their dog's foot during the trial, people that would pout, piss and moan, and cry foul over such events.

You, however, remember why you got into the sport and know how to handle yourself in the face of adversity. Great job!

Keep it up, not many dog-handler teams reach BH level, let alone IPO1 and trying for the IPO2 - you have a lot to be proud of!

I am going to bookmark this thread, and review it before / after trials to remind myself what this is all about, and what sportsmanship is all about.

Great job, and keep it up!

Just wanted to add: I've seen the same thing happen before, either during training or trials, with both hard and softer dogs. They are all babies when it comes to their feet :) I've seen some really nice dogs yelp like puppies when you accidentally step on them, as well as come off the sleeve. I'm not saying this always happens, and I'm not saying this is the norm, what I am saying is that *I* seen it happen before.

#21 ·
I hear you on the handler sensitivity!! This weekend Akela refused to bring in both the hurdle and the wall. It was like I say "bring" and he was like "are you sure you are not going to hit me with a shovel?". Me again: "Bring!" and Akela closer to my tigh "Mom... you are looking stressed..." I made him do them with a signal help, but points had been already lost. If not for that it would had been our best obedience. All because I scolded him once a week ago for going to retrieve the dumbbell without the command. :crazy:

Yet regardless of points you have to be more than proud of yourself. I know too many people who speak loudly in real life and/or the internet about how much they know yet they don't ever trial because people would notice they are only human...

#23 ·
From someone who doesn't do anything at the moment with their dog, your determination and dedication that you put into your training with Aiden is very admirable and commendable. For you to reach the level that you have so far knowing what you have in your dog is very encouraging for those of us to "just try"!
Congratulations on what you have acheived so far and have yet to acheive in the future!

#25 ·
Whenever I have a training set back, I find that I have to remind myself that I don't train for monster grips, the deepest nose, or the perfect positioning. I train because it allows me to enhance and evolve the relationship that I have with my best friend, my dog... I hope to never lose sight of this.

The "well THAT'S never happened before" moments happen. Use adversity to grow... It's all apart of the experience. Congrats on the considerably better obedience and tracking scores! Good luck on your next trial!

#26 ·
I agree with others, you should be VERY proud of what you have accomplished and how far you have come.. You should also be VERY proud to be able to say "HA" to those nay sayers, those that said you wouldn't get this far..BS , you've done it, and you'll do it again:)

BTW wanted to also say I LOVE the pictures, my favorites tho are the tracking ones, they are stunning with that misty morning air:)

#30 · (Edited)
Anytime someone judges Aiden and I, I ask to see them take a dog like him and prep for an IPO2. Having a dog who's good at IPO is cake in comparison to what I have had to to through with this dog. I love him to death, but I really can't wait to get a puppy in the future and see the difference between training him and a working line dog bred for the sport. I think it'll be very interesting.
Dogs like this make a trainer. The next one will probably be a piece of cake to you. You'll have to take care that you don't miss steps with a dog easy to train LOL Our dogs are who they are...schutzhund is not not the be all/end all. They have so much more to offer than what the sport asks. Great kudos to you and Aiden....you two are obviously in it together! :)
Sue

#31 ·
I always tell people...The only poeple that have not failed an IPO trial are the ones that don't trial.... It happens. Period. Good for you to get out there and show your dog. My current competition dog is VERY handler senistive, although he has the drive to get through it but I also have to be very careful leading up to competitions. My first dog was very soft, you will learn more about being a trainer and handler from this dog then you can imagine.

Good luck next time...Where and when is the trial?

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.