New Puppy Training Schedule? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Puppy Training Schedule?

I have a brand new puppy (Wesson) that I want to do schutzhund with, so I really want to be sure that he has a strong base to start off with and that I don't skip something that he will need for later. A training schedule or calendar would be perfect, especially if it could tell me when different activities are age appropriate!

I know to feed him his meals on a scent pad, and do bite work with a rag, and get him stayed on his focus, but what else do I need to be sure I am incorporating right now? I want to make sure I don't miss any steps as this is my first try at this! Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me!
EverSummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Italian One

Have you found a club to train with yet? Probably the best advice I could give is to go out and find a club you feel comfortable with. Visit a few different clubs if you can. Bring the puppy with on visits for socialization.

USCA Clubs in TX
USA - South Central Clubs

GSDCA-WDA Clubs in TX
clubs_reg6

I can’t find any DVG Clubs in TX sorry.

I also like Louise Jollyman’s site. Here’s the puppy page with some good tips;
Schutzhund-Training.com - Puppy Tips

Good luck and enjoy!

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are varying opinions on how much or how little to do with a puppy, but in my opinion the most important thing is that no matter what methods you choose, make your puppy feel like he's the most awesome thing in the world. That doesn't mean getting away with bad behaviors, but there should always be a positive end in your training and make sure to always reinforce desirable behaviors and encourage him to play and interact with you.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had already searched for clubs in my area, but none of them are close enough for me to be able to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Have you found a club to train with yet? Probably the best advice I could give is to go out and find a club you feel comfortable with. Visit a few different clubs if you can. Bring the puppy with on visits for socialization.

USCA Clubs in TX
USA - South Central Clubs

GSDCA-WDA Clubs in TX
clubs_reg6

I canít find any DVG Clubs in TX sorry.

I also like Louise Jollymanís site. Hereís the puppy page with some good tips;
Schutzhund-Training.com - Puppy Tips

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Italian One

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverSummer View Post
I had already searched for clubs in my area, but none of them are close enough for me to be able to attend.
Sorry if this is a dumb question then but I'm curious, how are you going to train the puppy in SchH if all the clubs are too far away for you?

It might be more feasible to look for a sport/training that is more obtainable for you. There are so many different things to do and train with your dog.

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am hoping to be able to train Wesson all of the early, basic maneuvers on my own. I could drive to one of the clubs, but not often due to distance, so the more advanced training will be slowed down. I just want to make sure my pup has the best foundation I can give him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question then but I'm curious, how are you going to train the puppy in SchH if all the clubs are too far away for you?

It might be more feasible to look for a sport/training that is more obtainable for you. There are so many different things to do and train with your dog.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Contact the clubs, there may be someone in a club that lives nearer to you that you could train with. Many club members travel a couple hours to train and are spread out from where the club actually meets(you may have someone right in your location!).
I'd rather have some instruction and support as a newbie than try to figure it out on my own.

I agree with Liesje's post, your pup needs to think he is all that and then some. So build the confidence and build your bond while shaping his manners.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Go visit the clubs NOW, before you get your puppy. Zip your lips for the first hour, watch and learn, then start asking questions
You can start learning now, before your pup arrives. You may even find a generous soul at one of the clubs that will let you hold the line on one of their dogs etc to get the full experience. I'm sure once you show a real interest, more than one person will sit and talk you through some good puppy raising ideas. The very first step though, is getting a puppy thats genetically predisposed to actually do the work. Otherwise you are in for a long hard road.
Make sure you get the puppy out to see and experience different sights, sounds and footing etc. Downtown sidewalks, Starbucks etc etc.
coldwetnose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Each puppy is going to be different based on their temperment. What you could do with one dog at 4 months old- you may not be able to do with another dog until 6 months. I drive an hour every weekend to go to our Schutzhund/Protection trainer. We have people that only come once a month or so due to cost, busy schedules etc. I agree- go to the club and watch and learn. You should try to bring the pup to a training session at least once or month or so so you can adjust the training to your pups progress and abilities. Good luck and be forwarned.. it is very very addictive!
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Dooney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.