Is this realistic? (video) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
So if my dog does a perfect obedience routine but his tail is not wagging and he is not prancing next to me like a horse then he will never score well enough to be competitive?
my dog doesn't prance like a horse either, but the attitude and focus is definitely there. If your dog isn't at least somewhat animated and isn't not showing any "power" or attitude in the work, then NO you most likely will not score well enough to be in contention for a podium spot at a national competition. Because there will be plenty of other dogs that do.

Nowhere did I say a dog must dance like a horse to be competitive or look exactly like this dog, but this dog is showing "something" in it's work. Watch some more dogs, you can see the ones that have something and those that don't. If it doesn't, you won't be competitive unless the other dogs completely fail something else.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Just take a look at the Bundessiegerpruefung and the ones that scored the first 10 ranks. That shows you what kind of level is expected at such an event.

This is the current Bundessieger

to be absolutely honest, I prefer the routine of the video crackem posted but that is personal preference.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 07-09-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Both videos just prove that we have a long way to go!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

it's not just attitude, but genetics and ability of the dog. Or as someone said this weekend, TALENT. yet, obviously, training does have a huge imput on how you bring out the talent.

That is the look I strive for and I also have dancing horses so the analogy doesn't bother me.

German Shepherd Obedience for BH and IPO Practice - YouTube link to youtube video practicing.
realworkingdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

My flashiest and most impressive obedience dogs were not my craziest drive dogs. Drive helps, yes, but, IMO, it has much to do with the skills of the handler. Crazy drive can also be a hindrance if the handler doesn't have the skills to channel that drive into the needed behaviors. Sometimes that crazy drive can also cause other issues like dogs who don't think when jumping or doing the wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
My flashiest and most impressive obedience dogs were not my craziest drive dogs. Drive helps, yes, but, IMO, it has much to do with the skills of the handler. Crazy drive can also be a hindrance if the handler doesn't have the skills to channel that drive into the needed behaviors. Sometimes that crazy drive can also cause other issues like dogs who don't think when jumping or doing the wall.
So true! My male has not the same ball obsession as my female, yet his obedience is better because my relationship with him is better. That high drive of hers, paired with a nerve less than stellar is the cause of many errors, specially in the retrieve exercises.

In a recent seminar, Edgar Scherkl said: 70 points for doing everything, 89 points for doing them with quality and 11 more points for doing them motivated = 100 points.

Last edited by Catu; 07-17-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It it realistic for me to expect this level of enthusiasm in obedience? When I watch this, I get both excited about what I am seeing and depressed because my dog has no where near the level of enthusiasm as the dog in this video. Is this what I have to strive for to be competitive at a regional or national level? What are your thoughts?

Vongalanberg Kai Obedience at GSDL-WDG UK National Championships - YouTube
I actually found this forum looking through the references on this video thinking "why have we got so many views off this website I don't remember posting it on there!".

Vongalanberg Kai is our dog (he's trained by my dad and I did the helper work training for him)! Its really nice to see all the lovely comments about him from half way across the world from people I don't even know on a website I'd never heard of!

He's definitely a one off in the UK. No other British GSD has ever got into the top 40 at the WUSV World Championships before and this year Kai made 7th place which was unbelievable.

He holds the record for the best ever Obedience round at the UK National Championship (98/100) and he Qualified in 1st Place in the UK World Championship Team Selection Trial

He's also the first British Working GSD to achieve Koerklasse 1 under the SV system.

And if I want to be really braggy he's also a movie star as he features in Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (very briefly as one of the bad guys dogs).

To answer your question about how attainable this level of Obedience it is very difficult and its taken dad 25 years to learn how to train a dog like this and you need the right dog.

- This is a video of one of Kai's litters training from 12 weeks to 9 months and you can see even at this early age they've all got the same potential, the final and most important ingredient is the trainer and how much time is put into them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Vislor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the site Vislor! I really enjoy the vids you've posted, thanks for the input!!

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Welcome to the site Vislor! I really enjoy the vids you've posted, thanks for the input!!
Thanks very much its a very nice site and I'm not just saying that

|
|
Vislor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Just take a look at the Bundessiegerpruefung and the ones that scored the first 10 ranks. That shows you what kind of level is expected at such an event.

This is the current Bundessieger

Ginoginelli von Karthago Bundessieger 2011 - YouTube

to be absolutely honest, I prefer the routine of the video crackem posted but that is personal preference.
She didn't dress up much for the BSP did she?
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.