List of German Schutzhund commands? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Eichler View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have a great GSD named Andy. The guy I got him from had sent him for some basic Schutzhund training, nut I was not able to find out the extent of it or what commands he knew besides sitz, platz and komm. Finding the list of commands on the forum was great. When I throw sticks for him he would always bring it back but never want to give it up, so we would have tug-o-war. I tried using "drop" to no avail. Then I found "aus" on the list and decided to give it a try. I threw the stick, and when he brought it back I took hold of it and said "Aus!" He immediately let go of it, and has done so every time! Very awesome!
He is very obedient and we have a good bond. My only problem with him is that he is extremely protective of me and our home. If anyone comes down our driveway, he barks at them all the way and barks at them very aggressively when they get out of their car, even if I tell him they are ok. He will often try to take their hand or arm in his mouth, not wanting to bite them, but it still freaks people out. I have 2 former friends who won't come to my house anymore! It is as if he treats every visitor like a decoy. Is there some command or technique I can use to break him of this bad behavior? Even when I tell him NO very sternly he ignores me, and though he is normally obedient in coming to me when I call him, if a car shows up he totally ignores me and goes for it.
I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions. Thanks!
You should start your own thread rather than hyjack a very old one so you can get help for your problem.
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What an interesting thread.
Thank you for the phonetics and pronounciation....I have problems in English...*sigh*
Thanks for the laugh too:

Quote:
Least not forget...
Ruhig (roo ig).... Quiet
Halt deine klappe..... shut your mouth
And if I ever join a club, I will not end up having to buy everyone a drink with the "Stupid Mutt" and "Stupid Hound"

It's funny as "brave" is one of my praise words and have never worked my dog in German.
(Now I'll use the "Halt deine klappe" I agree very important.
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
You should start your own thread rather than hyjack a very old one so you can get help for your problem.
Sorry- I am a new member... didn't realize I was "hyjacking" anything, just wondering if there was an appropriate command for my situation.
Stephan Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The problem is stephan, the majority of people will read the original post and respond to that and not all will read through 4 or 5 pages to see your question. If you start your own thread, everyone will see it.

Regarding your dog - sounds like either some fear aggression or lack of obedience, (or both). At the very least, a serious lack of obedience. Instead of telling him "no" - have you tried giving him a down/stay command? Keep him on lead so you can enforce it.

It doesn't sound like you're currently taking him to any of the clubs that might be in your area or any kind of training? Just because he was trained in another language doesn't mean you can't train him things in the language of your choice. There's no reason you had to wait to discover the german "out" command. I would've just taught him "out" in whatever word I wanted. I would try a down/stay command and definitely a leash. Do NOT let him put people hands and arms in his mouth - EVER! Totally unacceptable, and really bad that you're making an excuse for him. He does not think they are a decoy and it doesn't matter that he's "only" mouthing them. I wouldn't come back to your house either if you were my friend. If you can't control him right now, then CONTAIN him. Either in a crate, bedroom, backyard, etc.

And seek out a qualified trainer experienced in schutzhund. This dog may not have had the nerve for it or may have been trained improperly. But chances are, this is handler (you) error in controlling him and enforcing obedience.

Last edited by Rerun; 05-16-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am teaching 'wache es' to watch the helper, and currently use 'watch' to pay attention to me. Want to switch to something else though... maybe achtung.

Any reason you can't just teach the dog to look when you say his name?
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #46 (permalink)

Rerun- Thanks very much for your advice. Yes, you are right about it being a handler problem. I think his training is solid- his sire works for the Michigan State Police. I have been trying Schutzhund commands on him and he seems to know them. I also have been using the NILIF technique and have already seen improvement. We have had several different workmen around this week, and when he starts going at their vehicles barking I say "Andy, Komm!" and he has come right to me. Then I introduce him to them and if he acts aggressively, "No!" and it is working. I have been able to leave him out with the workmen and they are petting him etc. with no problem. I would like to find a local club. Thanks!

"Andy" Black & Red GSD
19 April 2007
Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
I am teaching 'wache es' to watch the helper, and currently use 'watch' to pay attention to me. Want to switch to something else though... maybe achtung.

Any reason you can't just teach the dog to look when you say his name?
No reason not to use his name. I find it works well, if he is distracted or doing something else to say his name followed by the command.

"Andy" Black & Red GSD
19 April 2007
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

@hunter: wache es, is not really german. "Pass auf" is what you mean
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

Funny you say that Mrs k. The first time a girl in titons puppy obedience class heard that, she kept saying piss off. I was rolling for a long time in that class.

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
TitonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Eichler View Post
No reason not to use his name. I find it works well, if he is distracted or doing something else to say his name followed by the command.
Also, if you have more than one dog, using the name to get attention lets the dogs know which one you are addressing.

"Andy" Black & Red GSD
19 April 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.