Schutzhund Club DAYTON OHIO - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Schutzhund Club DAYTON OHIO

Looks good, though I would try to find out the manufacturer of the sleeves to see if you can get replacement covers for them.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I see a lot of stuff in that kit that likely wouldn't get used at most clubs. Also, without knowing the manufacturer it's hard to determine quality and if replacement parts (like sleeve covers) area available or if the standard ones available from other vendors will fit.

I think you'd be better off to purchase things a'la carte as you need them, from proven and reliable vendors. This prevents getting possibly shoddy equipment and also prevents shelling out a lot of money for things you think you may need, but that just end up in someone's garage or the bottom of a training bag getting moldy.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

some of it you'd prob have to sell to club members, e.g. all the collars and leashes, lol.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

We started up our own club a couple years ago, so it being fresh in my memory I'll give you a list of what equipment we had to start with.

3 sleeves - one hard, one broken in hard, one intermediate
bite wedge
large tug for puppy bite work
burlap for puppy bite work
leather rag for puppy bite work
set of 6 blinds
set of dumbbells
jump and a-frame (made, not purchased)
a couple different tie outs, one bungee, one not
a couple schlagger sticks, reed sticks and whips
hanging tree for send out (also made, not purchased)
boat load of sleeve covers

That's it. A lot of that stuff we already had ourselves when we started the club, some had to be purchased.

Club members were all responsible for providing their own equipment to work their dogs, including collars, harnesses, leashes, long lines, balls and tugs, tracking flags and articles, etc.... We were happy to provide recommendations to the novices on what sort of equipment to buy, but they were all responsible for equipment for their own dogs and of course were free to shop around and exercise their own preferences with regard to color, style, etc.... Initially for newbies were were happy to loan out our own harnesses, lines and aggitation collars but once they knew they were committed to training they were happy to buy their own.

Helpers were responsible for providing their own scratch pants, though we did have a helper apron and old set of scratch pants that were loaned to the newbie helpers until they got to the point where they were ready to work more dogs, and had been able to determine if helper work was something they'd stick with and getting their own was a worthwhile investment.

Since then we've accumulated quite a bit more equipment: more sleeves, including a right arm, a bite suit, more tie out lines, linen sleeve covers in addition to jute, more dumbbells and a dumbbell rack, more jumps of different kinds, hand protectors and gauntlets and various other safety/comfort equipment for doing suit work, more sticks/whips. But that has been obtained over time as the club saw the need for it. It wasn't stuff that was needed to start up the club.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info and advice ladies. I just contacted our club members to get an inventory of what they have. Chris you are right, if we can pool our equipment together we will be best served until we can begin purchasing what is needed as opposed to what is wanted.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

I've looked at that sellers stuff before and know a couple of people who have used it.

Their bite suits and products out of the same material are good. So their soft sleeves and tugs are good.

However, their trial or hard sleeves seem very flimsy. Frankly I feel their scratch pants are downright useless, even dangerous as they have no bib and don't extend above the waist. I would avoid the pants at all costs.

Chris's list is pretty complete. Anything not on her list but in this kit would just be a dust collector. You can get by with even less for quite a while as your club saves up the funds for the major purchases.
Wulf SchH1 P1 PD1 T1 URO2 CGC TT,
Raven SchH3 AWD2 PD1 P1 PA T1 UCD URO2 CGC TT,
Della SchHA TR1 PD1 P1 PA T1 URO2 CGC TT,
Heidi,
Jasmine
Wildtim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Daryle,

Yes, definitely pool together what equipment club members have and are willing to let the club use as that will help provide guidance when putting together your shopping list. If funds are tight (and they usually are with newly forming clubs) you might also check with other clubs or even private trainers in the area to see if they have any used equipment in good condition that they don't really use anymore and just collects dust. They may be willing to part with it for a reasonable price, or even donate it to your group. Wouldn't hurt to inquire about whether vendors were willing to donate. I rather doubt most would, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

While it is expensive, I would also look into the insurance Angela mentioned earlier. Especially you train on private property and not public land.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

and be a bit creative - if someone (or their wife) has an old suede vest or skirt - it can be cut up to make puppy rag, find an agway feed store and see if you can get a burlap sack....watch ebay for sleeves, horse supply stores will have long lines and you can make your tie outs with them and a heavy bicycle tire innertube (or motorcycle inner tube)

hit the upcoming Sieger show for vendors and haggle...it is not all that far I don't think

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.

I am currently taken an inventory of what ecah club member has and it looks like we will have most of the bite items, harnesses, intermediate sleeves, 1 jump, a member has offered to purchase the blinds and donate them to the club and offered a 10 utillity trailer for storing equipment. Wolfstraum......one of your pups will be in the club.....HAVEN...owned by the Horns...in Vandalia. I am wokring with them and Haven on obedience. She is very very nice. We hope to make you proud.

Chris, we have requested an info packet from the site Angela_W. suggested. We are moving right along.

What would you all suggest be a cap for membership numbers. I know I don't want to many until we have enough Helpers to handle the work load. I am a helper in training.....I have not worked out this much in a long time. But I know i need to be in some serious shape to work with these dogs.

I think we are going to use ELITE-K9 for some things....I buy most of my items from there..trust them as they have lasted a long time.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Look at the funds you need to pay National, Regional dues and for insurance - decide how much you need to charge for membership; look at the helper situation, and decide how many dogs can be effectively worked - set your membership numbers wtih these things in mind.

Thanks for the compliment on Haven, Daryle! She is a very typical pup from my Basha, and what I strive to produce...a dog who can fill the role of a family companion and be a nice working sport dog as well! I am very happy that the Horn's have found some training avenues as I know Dave was interested in sport work!

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.