Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
cid
Master Member

Default Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels!

This thread is dedicated to those volunteers who would like to transport but have LOTS of questions!

Please jot down your favorite tips for the beginner, or seasoned veteran, and I'll add it to this comprehensive list!

&lt;/font&gt;<ul>[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;When transporting a pupper, make sure you have all of the applicable papers such as proof of rabies, surrender forms, adoption papers, health certificate, health records, etc. - Cid
(Jackie Comment: and REMEMBERING to PASS ON the papers!)
---------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Bring along a leash for each pupper! And if you are first on the list, you might want to bring a collar too in case they arrive without one. - Cid
----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Water (for the pups) the last transport I did no one sent water. Oh and ADVIL for the coordinator -LaurieB
(Cid comment: And a bowl! You might want to consider a disposable bowl to eliminate any chance that your pack could encounter germs from the bowl)
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;You'll want to have handy some dog biscuits to "make friends." - Zee's Mom
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;I also like to take a tasty chew toy of some sort for the nervous types. No rawhide, please! - Zee's Mom
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Usually I have a companion ride with me to keep an eye on the pup(s) since I can't accomodate a crate, but I did invest in a dog harness for times when I travel by myself with a dog. It's easy to put on them, and they can lay down (at least in my car) even with it on. - Zee's Mom
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Fill your gas tank before you get started that day. You may think you have time while en route, but if the leg ahead of you runs late, you'll be trying to make up time. - Zee's Mom
----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;If I have been fostering the dog, I pass on at least a few days' supply of the food I've been feeding to ease with transition at the new home. - Zee's Mom
----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;If you run late, please, please, call the next leg and the transport coordinator and let them know. I waited 30 minutes one time for a leg before calling to see if she was okay, and found out she was another 10 minutes away! -Zee's Mom
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Cut off the puppers food intake the night before and do not feed the morning of the transport. Too much excitement with a full colon does not make for a happy transport! -Cid
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;I keep a bag in my car loaded with transport gear. I highly recommend a roll of paper towels for yack attacks and other unfortunate incidents. I would also recommend handy wipes for freshening up after a transport as we are sometimes involved in those unfortunate incidents. -Cid
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Pick a meeting place that is both well traveled, yet has remote locations for walking dogs and doggie nature business. Rest areas are good, or restaurants with truck parking like Cracker Barrel. Park away from the road, and away from people. People WILL try to pet the dog, so eliminate that opportunity. These dogs will be wound up and excited due to the transport, and you simply do not know what the dog will do. Keep the dog safe, yourself safe and innocent bystanders safe by keeping the dog to itself. -Cid
-----------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;I have a special transport backpack ready to go at all times. It has a leash & collar, some treats, a pair of stainless steel bowls, extra poo-bags and a brush. Then all I have to add to get out the door is a bottle of water and some kibble for just in case. And the digicam, Daddy and I like to take a snap of our guest. - Sandra902 (Sandy the Poo Lady)
-----------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Daddy drives and Mommy spoils. - Sandra902
-----------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;I check in with the transport coordinator as I'm leaving the house. I also check in with the person I'm meeting on each end at this time as well. That way people can coordinate their departure and arrival a little more closely. I also check in with the person as I'm nearing each handoff place. And I let the transport coordinator know when I've picked up and dropped off. It's a lot of phone calls but what if there were an accident or something? I've read about a lot of crazy little things that can delay a handoff and raise people's anxiety levels. So I try to take that extra few minutes and keep everyone posted as to what-where-when. - Sandra902
------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;This may seem really obvious, but everyone needs to have a cell. I recently did a transport where there was a major problem with the leg ahead of me. The person with the dog didn't have a cell. There was a miscommunication somewhere about the meeting location, so both transporters ended up at different gas stations in the same town. For TWO HOURS!!! The person with the dog found a pay phone but didn't have the cell number of the person she was supposed to meet. No one knew where the dog was all this time. It eventually worked out but......ARGHHHHHHHH!! - agilegsds
(Cid Note: If you don't have a cell phone, or can't borrow one, buy an inexpensive phone card to use at a pay phone!)
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;Believe it or not.... I keep a few saltines in the car for upset tummies (just a few as to not overdo the salt). - gsd1234
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;If using your own crate for the transport, consider sanitizing it when returning home. I use the ol' Clorox wash. Also wash/sanitize any towels, bedding, bowls. Kill those germs and keep them from your own pack! - Cid
-----------------&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;I like to put a tarp under the crate (especially with pups) in case someone vomits or defecates through the crate. This will cut down on the chance that parvo, distemper, etc. gets embedded into your car carpeting. - Tracy&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[/list]&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"&gt;

&lt;small&gt;[ April 11, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: cid ]&lt;/small&gt;
cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels!

I'm SO glad you had this idea Cid. I've never transported but yes, do have questions. I hope you get a lot of responses because if the opportunity ever comes along I would really LOVE to help!
jlwiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
cid
Master Member

Default Re: Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels! *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Jacqui
cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Water (for the pups) the last transport I did no one sent water. Oh and ADVIL for the coordinator [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Laurie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2004, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As usual, Cid (and Moongazr) step up to the task!

Let's see, how about REMEMBERING to PASS ON the papers... [img]graemlins/rotflmao.gif[/img]

I like to take along a bottle of water and a bowl as these pups get thirsty traveling.

You'll want to have handy some dog biscuits to "make friends."

I also like to take a tasty chew toy of some sort for the nervous types. No rawhide, please!

Usually I have a companion ride with me to keep an eye on the pup(s) since I can't accomodate a crate, but I did invest in a dog harness for times when I travel by myself with a dog. It's easy to put on them, and they can lay down (at least in my car) even with it on.

Fill your gas tank before you get started that day. You may think you have time while en route, but if the leg ahead of you runs late, you'll be trying to make up time.

If I have been fostering the dog, I pass on at least a few days' supply of the food I've been feeding to ease with transition at the new home.

If you run late, please, please, call the next leg and the transport coordinator and let them know. I waited 30 minutes one time for a leg before calling to see if she was okay, and found out she was another 10 minutes away!

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more later! [img]graemlins/hello.gif[/img]
Zee's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurieB:
Oh and ADVIL for the coordinator [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I SECOND THAT!

[img]graemlins/rotflmao.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotflmao.gif[/img]

By the way, Laurie, how IS that transport of yours coming...? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Zee's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2004, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you're the only person around in OH this Saturday, it's not looking good [img]graemlins/bawling.gif[/img]
Laurie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

i have a special transport backpack ready to go at all times. it has a leash & collar, some treats, a pair of stainless steel bowls, extra poo-bags (yep it's me, sandra the poo lady), and a brush.

then all i have to add to get out the door is a bottle of water and some kibble for just in case.
and the digicam, daddy and i like to take a snap of our guest.

good idea about the wipes! i'll toss those in the backpack as well. 99 cents of utility there!

daddy drives and mommy spoils.

oh and one more thing...i check in with the transport coordinator as i'm leaving the house. i also check in with the person i'm meeting on each end at this time as well. that way people can coordinate their departure and arrival a little more closely. i also check in with the person as i'm nearing each handoff place. and i let the transport coordinator know when i've picked up and dropped off.

it's a lot of phone calls but what if there were an accident or something? i've read about a lot of crazy little things that can delay a handoff and raise people's anxiety levels. so i try to take that extra few minutes and keep everyone posted as to what-where-when.

[ February 15, 2004, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: sandra902 ]
sandra902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This may seem really obvious, but everyone needs to have a cell. I recently did a transport where there was a major problem with the leg ahead of me. The person with the dog didn't have a cell. There was a miscommunication somewhere about the meeting location, so both transporters ended up at different gas stations in the same town. For TWO HOURS!!! The person with the dog found a pay phone but didn't have the cell number of the person she was supposed to meet. No one knew where the dog was all this time. It eventually worked out but......ARGHHHHHHHH!!
agilegsds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll have a stash of dog
stuff for the trip this week.
Thanks all,

JoJo [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
MoongazrNH04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.