Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels!

believe it or not.... I keep a few saltines in the car for upset tummies (just a few as to not overdo the salt).
I have a tape/cd of mellow music in case you hit a stretch of a no-music area - helps to calm doggies too!
give your vehicle a quick check - water, oil, tires.
gsd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Re: Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angels! *DELETED*

Post deleted by cid
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I like to put a tarp under the crate (especially with pups) in case someone vomits or defecates through the crate. This will cut down on the chance that parvo, distemper, etc. gets embedded into your car carpeting.
NWS_Haven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Survial Guide and Tips for the Transport Angel

Bumping this up.
Remington, 9yr old, (dob 09/2000, Gotcha day Christmas 2005.)
sunnygirl272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Always print out the run sheet with dogs listed and MOST IMPORTANT - names and cell numbers of the legs before and after yours. You WILL need them. Arrange meeting places ahead of time and try to scope them out if you can. We found the McDonald's was an urban one with no parking. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twitch.gif[/img] Fortunately there was a little park in the next block.

Find out EXACTLY how many dogs in the transport. I signed on for 2, was told it was 4 and 5 + a crate of puppies arrived! If we had not called the leg ahead just to check in we would have been in deep doggy doo. As it was we needed to take both cars.

Pack everything you think you could possibly need and then some. ALWAYS pack chocolate -- for the driver. Take two Excedrin followed by a Hershey bar and hit the road... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rotflmao.gif[/img]

Peace,
Jane

<font color="blue">Rescue is about the good, the bad, the ugly and the old, the deaf, and the blind. </font>
JaneGael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Exact directions.
Maps.

Driving tip (not everyone knows this) if driving in rain or snowy roads DO NOT use cruise control. If you hydroplane or hit ice you need to let off the gas and with cruise you can't - it ends up increasing your speed towards an accident.

A slip collar or leash that can be fashioned to one...it helped with a transport that the dog tried slipping his collar off...once he saw he couldn't get the collar off he was fine. Chasing a loose unfamilar sometimes scared dog is not fun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/02_frown.gif[/img]
JanH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

[I posted this last year after I did my first transport. Very nice for anyone traveling the I-75 corridor]

I just found this site when looking for a meeting site for a transport in Kentucky.

This site is a listing of every exit on I-75 organized by state. It lists each exit and what ammenities there are off the exit (restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc).

http://www.i75exitguide.com/index.htm

Mom to:
Dieter (GSD)
Mr. Bojangles (black DLH kitty)
Ginger (baby blk & gray tabby)
LuvsDieter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to butterfingers

Here is a link to the PA Turnpike map showing all exits and any construction.

http://www.paturnpike.com/webmap/PTCIE.htm

http://www.germanshepherdworld.net
butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Cell phones are a MUST but more than that...CHARGE THEM AND TURN THEM ON! Or bring a charger that plugs into the cig lighter. I have a transport this weekend and one of the drivers doesn't have a cell...&lt;argh&gt;.

Know your state's (county etc.) law on driving while talking on cells. In CT you will be ticketed if caught talking on a cell unless it's a handless device. (I learned this as a driver told me (on the cell) as a cop passed by )

Know your state's (county etc) law on dogs with heads out the window. I don't think I need to say that NO dog should have their head out the window since we are all driving highways, but if they are, you can be ticketed depending on laws for restraint.

Do NOT post meeting locations or any personal info on public boards (including this one)!! Only coordinators and drivers should know meeting locations and vehicle info via private emails. While transferring dogs, drivers are very vulnerable as all our attention are on the dogs and not so much what is going on around us. I do keep an eye to make certain people don't approach the dogs, but not so much on my vehicle. Keep wallets and purses in a safe place.

When leaving your vehicle KEEP YOUR KEYS ON YOU and NOT in the car. I was coordinating a transport where the driver got locked out of her vehicle when the dog stepped on the button. Thank goodness the windows were slightly down or it could have turned bad as it was during the summer.

I'm sure there are other things I've come across but nothing more comes to mind right now or have already been mentioned.
fuzzmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: NWS_HavenI like to put a tarp under the crate (especially with pups) in case someone vomits or defecates through the crate. This will cut down on the chance that parvo, distemper, etc. gets embedded into your car carpeting.
AWESOME IDEA- I used to use just a blanket//large towel- this is way better ....no permeation!!!!!!!!!
Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/214035
Roxie Shennannigan
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/263827
RILEY
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1061253
LadyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.