German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue Transport. How YOU can HELP (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-transport-how-you-can-help/)
-   -   Doing my 1st rescue transport (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-transport-how-you-can-help/408082-doing-my-1st-rescue-transport.html)

arby665 02-07-2014 04:00 PM

Doing my 1st rescue transport

1 Attachment(s)
Tomorrow morning I am doing my first rescue transport from Huntsville to Chattanooga. I am so excited yet so nervous at the same time. I saw the picture of this dog and my heart just broke for him. I wish I could just bring him home.

Lilie 02-07-2014 04:01 PM

Oh...Good Lord! I can see why your heart broke! I'm so glad he found a rescue. What a GREAT thing you are doing for him! Good Luck!

Brando & Julietta's Dad 02-07-2014 04:58 PM

I'm sure you will do just fine. You are doing a great thing for this boy and he is really going to be forever grateful..

Wild Wolf 02-07-2014 05:00 PM

That is definitely heartbreaking... poor thing! Thank you for helping transport this poor boy.

Harry and Lola 02-07-2014 05:30 PM

you have got to be joking, poor dog. I don't know if he has just been starved or if he has EPI. He looks like a dog that has not been treated for EPI. I hope your rescue group will be able to get a blood test for him to eliminate or confirm the presence of EPI, and they are in a position to give him replacement enzymes if positive.

If he is positive, I am not familiar with the cheapest replacement enzymes in the US, however I know that I buy a bottle of Creon 10,000 online for around $40.00, has 100 capsules and I feed Harry twice a day, so he gets 2 Creon and with OB training and his 2 meals a day, the bottle will last 3 months - so is $13 a month.

If you are able to, I wonder if it might be a good idea to take some replacement enzymes with you and give him one just before you give him some food? Even if he tests negative for EPI and has been starved, replacement enzymes won't hurt him and it may help him better digest the food and then feeling relaxed and full? I wish I was in the US, near you because I would give you a bottle.

arby665 02-07-2014 06:14 PM

I don't know a whole lot about him. He has a name now, "Trooper". I know he has been checked by a vet. He has been starved and is heartworm positive. I was told he is so weak he can barely stand up. I was also told they normally do not want you to feed transports but due to his condition that it is ok to offer him food. I'm trying to determine what would be the easiest on his stomach and give him the most nutritional benefit. I'm wondering if some green tripe would be ok for him.

Mister C 02-07-2014 06:25 PM

Poor dog! You have my respect and admiration.

With such a caring attitude I am sure you will do fine. Thank you on behalf of the poor dog you are helping.

Harry and Lola 02-07-2014 06:29 PM

green tripe would be very nutritious, any raw meat you give will hold a little of the slaughtered animals enzymes.

otherwise, maybe steamed or boiled chicken and a little steamed rice.

arby665 02-07-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 4985258)
green tripe would be very nutritious, any raw meat you give will hold a little of the slaughtered animals enzymes.

otherwise, maybe steamed or boiled chicken and a little steamed rice.

All I feed my dogs is raw so I have plenty to share with this boy. I know he's not supposed to be fed a lot at one time and he will only be with me a few hours. Do you think I should make him up a complete meal and just let him eat a little at a time or just give him some tripe? I want to do the best for him in the short time that I have him.

Jax08 02-07-2014 06:38 PM

So glad he found transport quickly! I saw him listed for transport on FB earlier today