Transport Needed: Allegan, Michigan to Southern Indiana - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member
 
Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 3,441
Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Default

what rescue? Because there currently isn't really any GSD rescues in Indiana. There's echo and thats the only solid reputable rescue. There's another one in NW Indiana thats fairly new and I'm not very familiar with. None in the southern half of the state though. I think thats part of Rerun's concern.
__________________
Assistance Dog Advocacy Project member in education and Service Dog Handler.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
arabian_nights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
rerun, arabian nights says they are working with a rescue here (michigan) and a rescue there (indiana).
Katieliz is correct but they are humane associations on both ends. Everything was checked and rechecked.

Rerun I have had enough experience with German Shepherds to base my decision off of the personality tests and comments from the staff. Every issue that he has have been discussed not only between myself and the adoption coordinator but the whole team. My sources were checked not only from their side but the humane association here as well.

And btw they DID do reference checks.

I understand your need for concern but I feel like that concern is turning into complete negativity because I don't have certain "credentials". Everything was arranged with care by multiple organizations.
arabian_nights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member
 
Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 3,441
Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Default

Its really not about you, credentials etc. I'm sorry that it feels that way. The primary issue I see, and I think is what Rerun is getting at, is the fit of the specific dog to your specific home. Thats quite a distance for an adoption when you've never met the dog. You can only learn so much about the dogs personality by discussing on the phone or email. So, what happens if you find out after a few weeks that the dog isn't a good fit for your home? Its bad for both the dog and the owner if the fit isn't right. When I was fostering for the Indiana Italian Greyhound Rescue, my rep told me a story about a dog placed with one of the foster homes... But it turned out to be a poor fit. The person didn't want to admit it, and tried for 3 years while the rep worked on convincing her to rehome the dog. In the end the rehome was the best option for both dog and owner.

So, where would the dog go if this isn't a good fit? Would you be prepared to return them all the way to Michigan? Or would the humane society that checked you out take the dog?
__________________
Assistance Dog Advocacy Project member in education and Service Dog Handler.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
arabian_nights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Its really not about you, credentials etc. I'm sorry that it feels that way. The primary issue I see, and I think is what Rerun is getting at, is the fit of the specific dog to your specific home. Thats quite a distance for an adoption when you've never met the dog. You can only learn so much about the dogs personality by discussing on the phone or email. So, what happens if you find out after a few weeks that the dog isn't a good fit for your home? Its bad for both the dog and the owner if the fit isn't right. When I was fostering for the Indiana Italian Greyhound Rescue, my rep told me a story about a dog placed with one of the foster homes... But it turned out to be a poor fit. The person didn't want to admit it, and tried for 3 years while the rep worked on convincing her to rehome the dog. In the end the rehome was the best option for both dog and owner.

So, where would the dog go if this isn't a good fit? Would you be prepared to return them all the way to Michigan? Or would the humane society that checked you out take the dog?
The best way I can think of it Lin is consider a rescue. Lots of German Shepherds from around the country go from a shelter to a rescue without the owner/coordinator of the rescue going to see the dog, correct? While I am in no way a rescue, this happens a lot. What about breeders who ship dogs to buyers? Or what about dogs that are imported? I know some people on this forum who have had a dog imported from overseas, they never met the dog correct? Our family has been raising GSDs for generations.

Not only that but I worked with both the michigan humane society and two organizations here to get him here. My sources were checked and rechecked; Cesar was only allowed to be adopted out to a Shepherd savvy home and that's what we are.

I understand all of you are making sure he's okay but I've assured and have been updating and will continue to update when I can. But that's all I'm going to say in terms of that topic; Cesar is at his permanent home that was approved by knowledgable sources so that's that.

Anyway Cesar is doing great! He does have cage aggression so when the transport first arrived he snarled at us when we tried to come near his crate. We knew already that he is known to bond with males and my fiance really worked magic on him. Though he growled a little bit at the house (we found out quickly he does NOT like being in small spaces including a crate) he was immediately corrected and he slept like a baby.

He's doing wonderfully today! He did not bond with myself yesterday, he is known to take time to get attached to females, but with some quality time he's getting better he absolutely ADORES my fiance though. I've been calling him his shadow because he literally follows him wherever he goes.

Have not introduced him to the kitty yet, we want him to settle down and feel at home before we introduce something else.

Anyway I think that this topic should probably be closed. I can update with photos in the update section of the forum I took some pictures on my cell phone today I'll try to get them up sometime.
arabian_nights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member
 
Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 3,441
Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Default

I don't think you're understanding. For example, one of the things you mentioned was a breeder. A reputable breeder will always take a dog back if something happens. And importing a dog is very different from adopting from a rescue. A rescue transfering a dog to another rescue doesn't apply at all, as rescues are only temporary and a permanent fit isn't necessary.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with you or your fitness as an owner or credentials being checked out. Its purely a matter of where would the dog go if you find out down the line its not a good match. Are you responsible for driving it all the way back to Michigan? Or would the local rescue be taking the dog back? A rescue's contract generally requires the dog to be returned if something happens.

Its just more likely that the fit wouldn't be right when adopting a dog sight unseen. For example I just placed a dog in Terre Haute, we arranged 2 separate meetings before they decided to adopt.

Thats all that people were trying to say. Nobody has said you aren't shepherd savvy or aren't a suitable owner.
__________________
Assistance Dog Advocacy Project member in education and Service Dog Handler.

Last edited by Lin; 05-28-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator
 
gsdraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mont Co, PA
Posts: 5,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian_nights View Post
The best way I can think of it Lin is consider a rescue. Lots of German Shepherds from around the country go from a shelter to a rescue without the owner/coordinator of the rescue going to see the dog, correct?
Incorrect. In reputable rescues, an experienced volunteer will do a temperament test on the dog before the Board decides to take the dog on. In the rescue I volunteer for, two temperament tests are required and we have a minimum 30 days in foster care to evaluate the dog before thy are eligible for adoption. Reputable breeders evaluate the temperament of the dog for 8 weeks before making placements. Both groups do thorough interviews with the potential adopter/buyer. In rescues, the dog would not be places with a buyer that hasn't actually met the dog.
__________________
Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
arabian_nights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Incorrect. In reputable rescues, an experienced volunteer will do a temperament test on the dog before the Board decides to take the dog on. In the rescue I volunteer for, two temperament tests are required and we have a minimum 30 days in foster care to evaluate the dog before thy are eligible for adoption. Reputable breeders evaluate the temperament of the dog for 8 weeks before making placements. Both groups do thorough interviews with the potential adopter/buyer. In rescues, the dog would not be places with a buyer that hasn't actually met the dog.
Lin yes you are correct the Allegan Shelter has stated for all of the people who adopt from them that if it does not work out they can bring the dog back. In fact, this has already happened to Cesar once.

gsdraven I've stated on more than one occasion that not 1 but 2 temperament tests were conducted. Who said they didn't do a thorough interview? Hours and hours of communication made this adoption possible.

Okay I'm really growing tired of having to explain. If anything, this information is between those who adopted him to us and us the adoptees. I'm sure that these people were MORE than qualified to make the decision and thought of everything that you have all stated here and everything has been discussed.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off a bit rude but if you look at most of the posts I've done on this board you'll find pages and pages of this. I have no obligation on this board; the only obligation I have is to Cesar and to the supportive staff in both states who have helped to make this possible. I am here because I thought that this was a board to talk about this wonderful breed as well as offer support.
arabian_nights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator
 
gsdraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mont Co, PA
Posts: 5,661
Default

Arabian_nights, I said nothing about you or your dog in my post. Just cleared up the misunderstanding that reputable rescue groups routinely take dogs without ever seeing them or testing them.

I'm glad that you were committed to rescuing and sincerely hope that things work out for everyone involved.

You will find that many of us on this board will point out incorrect statements when we see them even if they aren't directed to the OP because this is a public board and for every person that posts, hundreds more are reading.
__________________
Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
arabian_nights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Arabian_nights, I said nothing about you or your dog in my post. Just cleared up the misunderstanding that reputable rescue groups routinely take dogs without ever seeing them or testing them.

I'm glad that you were committed to rescuing and sincerely hope that things work out for everyone involved.

You will find that many of us on this board will point out incorrect statements when we see them even if they aren't directed to the OP because this is a public board and for every person that posts, hundreds more are reading.

I understand. I just hope you see where I'm coming from as well though we may just have to agree to disagree on certain things.
arabian_nights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 23,939
Default

One thing to keep in mind,especially with this breed. You will not see the true personality of the dog for several weeks. Shelter life is very stressful, so temperament tests done there can be skewed. That is why it is a good idea to go thru a rescue for adoption, because the dog has spent time with a foster for a proper evaluation.
Already Cesar is growling, I hope it doesn't escalate and you can bond with him so he is set up to succeed!
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com