Atlanta, GA - Giga, F 4yrs, Perianal Fistula - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Atlanta, GA - Giga, F 4yrs, Perianal Fistula

***PERMISSION GIVEN TO CROSSPOST
From: "Carla Brown" <bigskymail@earthlink.net> phone: 770-307-60

Giga is a German Shepherd, and will be 4 years old December 17. She was abandoned March 31st of this year, along with what was probably her pup, at a local "vet clinic"/boarding facility. I use that term loosely, as any true vet clinic would have treated this girl and not let her suffer. After keeping her for 7 months- not treating her and not even feeding her well.... they dropped her and the younger dog off at our local animal control. The younger dog was adopted, Giga was stressed and did not do well in the shelter environment. I pulled her in order to save her - only to immediately discover that she had been suffering from perianal fistula, a painful condition when left untreated. The stress from the shelter only made it worse.

Perianal fistulas, also known as Anal Furunculosis, are ulcerated tracts that develop around the anus. The tracts are similar to the root system of a plant, spreading out in all directions. These abscesses eat out the flesh around the anus and often into the intestinal tract. There are often unseen, but deeply infiltrating fistulous tracts that can spread up inside the tail and down into the back legs, along the rectal wall up to 3 and 4 inches deep, and into the dog’s internal organs, eventually causing death. Perianal fistulas are becoming more widespread by the day, and they hit without care to gender or age. They are most commonly diagnosed between the ages of two and five, but have been diagnosed in dogs as old as ten.

The symptoms of the primary lesions are deep, draining, fistulous openings around the anus which will not heal. They may spread to involve a large portion of the perianal area. Some dogs will show few signs of discomfort other than licking the anal region. But as the problem advances, there may be damage and scarring that prevents normal defecation. These dogs may experience fever, constipation, pain when passing feces, bloody feces, diarrhea, weight loss, lethargy, butt scooting, and open sores often with a malodorous discharge, similar to the odor of having the anal sacs expressed. Some dogs with severe perianal fistulas may not be able to close the anus properly, leading to incontinence.

Here is info on ways to treat a PF. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/pf3.html

The most common treatment today is a combination of Cyclosporin and Ketokonazole- usually the first round of treatment is 16 weeks, some dogs never have a recurrence, but about 40% do. The second round of treatment is generally shorter than the first. Giga has been on this treatment for approx 4 weeks. Meds are approx $110 per month. I have almost a full month worth of meds that I recently purchased for her. Giga is gaining weight and seems to be responding well to the treatment. She is a dream to give her meds to, just put them in the back of her mouth and she will swallow. She gets along all my dogs, can be a little dominant with the females but there has never been a fight. Giga is crate trained and house trained, although the PF can make it difficult for her if she has to go a long time without going outside. She is a VERY protective dog. Her best home would be with a single person or couple- she does prefer women to men. I would not put her in a home with children, as I think it would be too much activity for her.

Giga needs a home- or a foster home that is a little quieter and suitable to doctoring her through her recovery period. Any help is appreciated. Giga is located in Gwinnett County, GA.

Carla
770-307-6057
gsdjoann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Atlanta, GA - Giga, F 4yrs, Perianal Fistula

Quote:
Quote: I pulled her in order to save her
I am moving this thread to Non-Urgent as Giga is <u>not in a High Kill shelter.</u>

Karl's Kids Program Inc Animal Services 2000
ADAP Facebook
ADAP Blog
Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Putnam County Emergency Animal Support/Pet-Friendly Evacuation Shelters
Gov. Agency Member of FL State Agricultural Response Team
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Today I received a call from Last Hope Safe Haven that they had a dog in transport that the receiving person backed out on. I met the transport and took the dog and found out that it is Giga. She is at my home now and will be put up for adoption through Lilac Groves. I will post photos soon!

Fortunate K9 Dog & Owner Training
German Shepherd Rescue of New England
Lilac Grove Pampered Pups-All Breed Rescue

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
Strana1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Why in the world would they back out on her?!?!? Ugh! Thank you for taking her in. The poor thing is probably so lost and confused right now. to Giga.
Baby Girl Dec 07 Blind Tortie Shell Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Trooper Jan 93-0ct 03 my heart, my soul
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
maggs30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor Giga!! How awful! Thank you so much Strana for taking her in and getting her under the auspices of rescue.

Carla Brown is now signed up as a member here....maybe she can tell us what happened with poor Giga
How terrible that someone backed out on this poor girl
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
Myamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Apparently the foster home had a personal emergency and was unable to follow through on their commitment.

I have spoken to Carla several time and she has been very helpful with information on Giga. I'm glad she made it on this board.

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Re: Atlanta, GA - Giga, F 4yrs, PF, Photos added

Here are some pictures of Giga. She likes the snow! At least I hope she does, we are due for 12-16 inches tomorrow!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

More photos & video clip

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via ICQ to kathyb

Thank you for taking in this girll it is so good of you to step in for her at the last minute. I am also glad to see your other dogs, they all seem to be having a great time.
kathyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Great News! Giga is going to her forever home today! She bonded with her new owner the momnet they met.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.