German Shepherds Forum banner

Atticus, Hemivertebrae Pup

9K views 79 replies 26 participants last post by  RebelGSD 
#1 ·
Atticus is now safe in foster care and adjusting quickly. This week he is going for his preliminary work up to the hospital so a treatment plan can be developed for him. This is a scary experience for him as well as a crucial diagnostic phase for determining his longer term care - he needs your positive thoughts.

Here is the link to Atticus's videos:
http://www.southerncrossgsd.com/pages/dogstories/atticus.shtml

See less See more
#4 ·
Atticus has a blog!!

http://atticusgsd.blogspot.com/

The not-so-good news - Atticus's condition is the result of trauma, not a birth defect - possibly hit by a car? His spine is very delicate and even with surgery, only stabilisation is possible - he will eventually be paralysed. Estimated medical costs on Atticus are ~$6000. His rescuer and foster mom are in close touch with his doctors and are trying to make the right decisions to ensure his future mobility.

#9 ·
#18 ·
Let me tell you, Atticus pooping out of his crate may be great for him, but not for my kitchen table or poor Eli who the poop is "aimed at". A couple of times I have come home and found Eli squashed in a corner of his crate, with what I can only describe as a look of absolute disgust on his face.

Surgery has now been postponed to November 4th as the neurosurgeon can't make Oct 28th.

#19 ·
This is funny with the pooping. In my case, I kept accusing my other dogs of peeing at the foster dogs crate and marking him - until I caught him in action. It was certainly not good for my rugs, but I could not help but laugh. I am surprised that not many dogs figure out the pottying out of the "bedroom". Why would one "hold it" if the problem can be taken care of by appropriate aiming?

I wish all the best for Atticus for his surgery.

#26 ·
Thank you! The contest runs through January, so they will need all the help they can get. I think it's important to remember ALL the special needs dogs that have passed through Southern Cross this past couple of years: Hannah (pregnant, starving and heartworm positive with sarcoptic mange), Annie (broken leg that had been left untreated), Darcy Mae (ingrown collar), Phoenix (severe demodex and emaciation), Prancer (9 years on a chain), Atticus - and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.