German Shepherds Forum banner

SAVED: Male Beauty Bing NY Not much time!

80K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  MatsiRed 
#1 ·
This is Duke, the last of the Binghamton NY neglect case dogs I will be posting. He was one of 66 dogs, who were kept in cages with the doors WELDED shut, so that he was never allowed out, nor any human contact. Duke is a beauty,a gorgeous big male, and I LOVE THIS GUY. He is EXTRA EXTRA scared, but has shown no aggression at all in the two months he's been at the shelter. Now, a deadline is looming over him, and euthanasia is a very very real possiblity for him quite soon. I have thought long and hard about posting Duke here, as he is a special case, and will need serious socializing and committment. I wondered -- is it fair to him -- to force him to socialize with humans when he is so unused to us? Today, I spent a full hour socializing with him, and when I saw him actually give a teeny tiny kiss to a volunteer who'd been walking him all week -- I just KNEW I had to give him a chance and post him. He DESERVES a chance to find the special someone out there, willing to show him what love is about. Duke is a large, beautiful male and neutered. He has been dewormed and has had shots. Transport (partial) and pull available. He spent a good 15 minutes sitting with me in the cat cage area while I talked with volunteers and he ignored even the hissing cats. He lets other dogs (including a straining barking pit) walk by him on the leash while we are out walking. He will allow himself to be petted, but, cowers. When walking, he tries to walk as far away from me as possible and does NOT choose to be NEAR me. HE NEEDS SERIOUS SOCIALIZING and someone with PATIENCE to teach him love at his own pace. I do believe he has potential, and would be a joy to rehabilitate. He even endured a mishap when a volunteer let a slip lead get too tight and couldn't get it off. It took 3 people hovering over him and 2 pair of scissors to cut him out. Though he was sooooo scared, he showed no agression. Is Duke's savior out there??? I just LOVE Duke, please emai if you hae any questions, and I will do my best to help him!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Male Beauty Bing NY Not much time! SCARED

I love that face! I just want to hug this poor guy!

#5 ·

Ummmm.. weight, I would say 85-90. That's a guess, as I think he's just a bit smaller than my guy who's 104. He's like the 'average big male gsd' if that makes any sense! Age -- mid range, not old, not young. A local breeder/trainer is going to look at him for me on Monday, and I will have her look at his teeth to get a better idea if possible! I will also post whatever eval she gives on him.

#7 ·

I've been looking for a place to take a short vacation. Binghamton is 6 hours from Boston, I think. Don't know anything about the area.

How long do all these dogs have, and does anyone know if there is any place to stay in that area with my 6yo female? I'd especially like to meet this boy. Just meet him. NO committments. While I'm there, I can help walk and socialize the rest. Couldn't think of a better way for some well needed, long overdue, R&R.

#10 ·

Donna - Binghamton is a big college town - I'm sure you'd be able to find someplace to stay ....

(pinches self for breaking promise to DH NOT to look on these forums)

#12 ·

I want to also mention that my Red failed his initial temperament test while he sat in a shelter for six months, was a backyard dog for an empty piece of property, and was quite aloof when I met him initially. I was afraid he wouldn't like me. He turned out to be a certified therapy dog and the love of my life. Thankfully, the shelter had asked for a second opinion on the evaluation based on gut instinct. Of course, he passed away recently at about nine years old.

Be interesting to see if the second opionion matches your gut instinct. He's very lucky to have you in his corner. I'm glad you're holding out for him.

#13 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Donna - Binghamton is a big college town - I'm sure you'd be able to find someplace to stay ....

(pinches self for breaking promise to DH NOT to look on these forums)

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, sounds like a safe place to be. I'm going to start checking into places that will allow dogs (I know that all the Motel 6 allow them and some Days Inns). I've got to check my work schedule tonight to figure out the logistics. And you can be sure, I'm going to take my camera. I've been so incredible stressed, this trip seems really inviting to me right now, even if just for a few days.

#15 ·

I'd say Kari's weight estimate is likely close. These dogs are actually a little fat, surprisingly. But not healthy. Their coats are matted with years of dead fur, some with feces and urine still.
Poor GrannyMolly, her chest and neck are bald leather.
*sigh*

#16 ·

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say Kari's weight estimate is likely close. These dogs are actually a little fat, surprisingly. But not healthy. Their coats are matted with years of dead fur, some with feces and urine still.
Poor GrannyMolly, her chest and neck are bald leather.
*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

Is GrannyMolly at this shelter too?

#17 ·

YES! There are 14 dogs, of those we think 6 have a chance and could be adopted. The other 9 will most likely not make it out. Of the 6 that are friendly, and have potential, there are 2 males - Flax, Duke, and 4 females, one of which now has a foster. Left are GrannyMolly, Split Ear MJ, and Sheena. Of these dogs, I would estimate Duke has the least chance to get out, I would say, as he needs such a SPECIAL home. He will be a case similiar to Jean's Anna Banana I would think, where patience and love and then more patience will make all the difference! The others are all very scared too!!! I am going down to spend an hour with Duke again today.....and will walk Granny Molly and Split Ear. Sheena and Flax are slightly less scared. Granny Molly's post is in the NON-URGENT section, though she is now urgent also. A new "deadline" was imposed with a new director coming in. (Granny Molly is housed right next to Duke! In fact, in the SECOND picture above.. can you see her just cutely peeking out at me!?)

#18 ·

In the bottom pix, that's Flax, they moved GrannyMolly over next to Duke-- she's next to him in the first pix, above. She's so loving, when I had him out for an hour yesterday, when we got back, she was kissing and licking him through the cage greeting him and welcoming him back. He seemed to like that more than my petting him, for sure. He will allow himself to get petted, but, he just cowers and is sooo scared. I noticed last time, as I scratched behind his ears, he was just starting to realize it feels GOOD and seemed to have an inkling of maybe, just maybe liking it!

#19 ·

Donna, there is a picture of Duke in the Binghamton 17 post (the one with ALL of their photos), that will give you an idea of what I mean by 'he cowers and is scared, but, non aggressive". The second picture of him, shows a kennel worker in there with him working on his cage.. he just puts his head down and kind of looks away.... he is soooo scared.

#20 ·

It's official. I'm heading to Binghamton to help socialize and photograph all these guys on Sunday, staying just a few days. Anyone want to join me? Photographing dogs is always easier with an extra set of hands...or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/16_shrug.gif

#21 ·

So many of us will be with you in spirit, Donna; you will certinly be remembered in my prayers.

May you and all rescuers be blessed with everything good; <u>thank you</u> for helping those who most sorely need your aid.

#22 ·

I am in Ithaca next weekend. Not so far for me to take a look and then report back to Donna. Can't promise but will try.

#23 ·

[ QUOTE ]
I am in Ithaca next weekend. Not so far for me to take a look and then report back to Donna. Can't promise but will try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donna's already going. She wants to look for herself.

#24 ·

Yes, I'm just responding to the call for help in socializing them. I have a few days off and was looking for a place to escape to and the nice scenic drive and hanging with needy dogs seemed perfect.

Of course, I'm never without my camera, so hopefully we'll get some nice pictures as an added bonus. Anyone want to help pose them for me?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/12_help.gif

#25 ·

Donna, I am sure Kari will do her best to be free when you are there. What days are you going?
Mel

#26 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Donna, I am sure Kari will do her best to be free when you are there. What days are you going?
Mel

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thanks, we've been in touch. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, will be at shelter Monday and probably Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.