Misty blind and losing control of her legs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Misty blind and losing control of her legs.

We rescued Misty from a monster. He went to prison who pushing his pregnant wife out of a moving car. He tortured Misty. He choked her until he cut off oxygen to her brain. She was mostly blind at 6 months when we got her. She eventually became totally blind. Even now she still hates for anyone to touch her feet. She cries when she has her toe nails cut. Misty is now over 12 and can hardly walk. She is falling down as her hind legs and front leg fail her. She cries and moans a lot from the pain. We treat the pain. I can't stand to see her suffer.

We have made the decision to put her to sleep. She is such a sweetie. My heart is broken once more. Alas, there is room for a new dog to take up residence in my heart. I am so glad we were able to give her the love and care she needed. I am looking for another GSD in the Pacific Northwest area. I would like to find a rescue GSD in the next week or so. The dog will have to get along with our English Springer Spaniel who is also blind. I do not want another blind dog. I had three blind dogs for a while. Probably a female.... doesn't have to be a pup, probably would prefer a dog with some training. Anyone know of a dog please let me know. Older is ok. I have gotten two dogs through this forum over the years. Thanks for any help given.
msstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am so sorry you have come to the point where your girl is to rest, but I rejoice that she did not live with that monster but rather knew love and kindness. What you have done for her is wonderful. You will easily find a GSD to rescue and bring a new love to share. Best wishes. My thoughts are with you and Misty.
Cara Fusinato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Cara. A dog that comes to live with us is going to be spoiled rotten. Most likely... rarely alone or just with Marty our Springer. I am disabled and confined to the house because of pollution. They are with me just about 24/7. I want to think about a new dog so Misty will not feel how upset I am. She is an amazing dog considering what was done to her. My husband and I are very upset about Misty but we know it is time. No sense in her suffering.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow three blind dogs? That's incredible and bless you and also, so sorry for your loss. But you know you did an incredible job!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am getting ready to make the call to set up Misty's appointment. I can barely see the keys to type. Thanks Chip 18 for your comment. I know I don't visit here often. I know this is one place I can share my grief and people will understand. Anyone knowing a GDS who needs good home in the pacific Northwest. Please let me know. I know that someone has a baby (not specifically a puppy actually prefer not a puppy) out there for us to love and comfort, play with and share our home with. I can't put off calling the vet any longer. Thanks everyone in advance for your support.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so sorry to hear about Misty's condition. You have helped give three dogs a forever family and rescued Misty from a horrible existence. I believe that letting go is the hardest but most generous thing we can do for these beautiful loving companions. Take care.
Maggi

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for Misty's condition. She had a wonderful life and she is very lucky to have you. Hang in there...
Three blind dogs, that is tough. Hopefully a new pup will come your way soon.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm sorry to read this. Thank you for giving Misty such a loving home for the time she had with you.
sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

We put Misty to sleep yesterday. I cried even my husband had a tear or two. I found out that Becky doesn't do well with other dogs. So I am going to have to forget her. Anyone know of a female GSD over a year prefer some training, crate, leash, and housebroken. I can train the rest of the commands if needed. Must like or be able to get along with our 13 year old, blind, English Springer Spaniel. A rescue In the Pacific Northwest area. We have no kids, no cats. Nor do we get any children visitors. We have a fences back yard but it is terraced and not for our blind ESS. He would run into the terraces and fall down the terraces. We know how he is. The yard would be alright for a sighted dog. I bought a gate to close off our covered front porch so we can sit out side with the dogs and not worry about them running off. We, of course would never leave them outside alone on the porch. Thanks for all the support about Misty.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I am sorry for your loss of Misty. So glad she had a long loving life with you. I'm sure she'll help in sending the right dog your way.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.