German Shepherds Forum banner

*Urgent-Should I Adopt Her?

13K views 75 replies 36 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Kaiya is a beautiful and sweet 2 year old AKC registered GSD that I came across at a kill shelter 2 hours ago. Kaiya's previous owner was killed in Afghanistan and she was inherited to the owner's parents. Kaiya was used as a bomb dog to detect any hidden explosives as the troops went on missions. The parents of the owner were too old to keep up with Kaiya and placed her in a kill shelter. I was doing paperwork for one of my GSD's when I saw her. She was such a sweet girl and her and I bonded quick. I would take her in a heartbeat, but I already have 4 GSD's and one of them I adopted only a month ago (Hunter). I'm debating whether or not I should just say "yes" and bring her home because today is when she is supposed to be euthanized. I'm in my car driving now and am ready to turn around and get her, but would it better for her to be put to rest than face 4 GSD's? Advice?

#5 ·
I would love to say yes, but I don't know the specifics of your situation. So really, only you can answer that. It does sound like you have your hands full but would you be able to take her and find her a loving home?

Definitely a tough choice for you and a sad situation for her after serving our country. I wish you the best whatever you decide.

#6 ·
My suggestion is to foster this dog until someone can be found to adopt her. I just sent a PM to someone on this board who is a bomb dog handler. He may be able to offer additional advice.

It would be a shame to see a bomb dog like this put down. I consider bomb detection dogs to be heroes.

#7 ·
How will your 4 GSDs do w/ Kaiya? Is there a way to for you to keep her till a home might come . There is alot of interest in Military dogsespecially those who served. ,Like everybody else my knee jerk reaction is get her but you know your dogs your home. I wish there was time to start a rescue thread for this sweet veteran.

#8 ·
Well, three out of the four GSD's I have are dog friendly, but my one female, Ivy, is highly aggressive towards other dogs because of the way her previous owner treated her and she had to wear a muzzle for a while when I adopted Hunter( 7 months old) until she got used to him. I also don't know Kaiya's personality towards other dogs. Other than that, I have ten acres of fenced in yard, have the patience and experience for dogs, and would be able to afford all five dogs. I think I'm going to turn around and grab her.

#10 ·
You might also want to contact Northwest German Shepherd Rescue and alert them to the fact that she is there and see if they will go get her and rehome her. I am a foster over here on the Seattle side. I'm sure that it wouldn't take long for you to rehome her if you were to foster her until you could find her a suitable family.

#11 ·
Okay, I just pulled into the drive-way of the shelter and am walking in now. I'll probley just foster her until I can find a home. I post pictures of her when I have her at my house.

#15 ·
I'm surprised that the Armed Forces would send a trained bomb dog back to the USA and turn her over to people that really couldn't take care of her. I thought they just went to another serviceman. Really great of you to take her out of the shelter but is there any chance that they are just making up a story?

#19 ·
I am surprised at this as well, especially since she is very young.

I would try to get a rescue involved if I felt that my current group was as much as I want to handle.

I hope everything goes smoothly.

#18 · (Edited)
My guess is Armed Forces gave the option if the parents of son (who died Afghanistan) wanted to take her in or not. I don't know but I'm walking out the door with her now and you could tell she is happy, but as I was putting her in my car, she started sniffing around everything like crazy. At first I thought it was just regular dog behavior but then she started sniffing under seats and weird non-dog-smelling places. She then laid down by my laptop that was in the way back seat. Must be doing her bomb job. :D

#23 ·
My guess is Armed Forces gave the option if the parents of son who died Afghanistan to take her in or not. I don't know but I'm walking out the door with her now and you could tell she is happy, but as I was putting her in my car, she started sniffing around everything like crazy. At first I thought it was just regular dog behavior but then she started sniffing under seats and weird non-dog-smelling places. She then laid down by my laptop that was in the way back seat. Must be doing her bomb job. :D
Thank you so much for saving her :hugs:

I have seen so many sad stories this week and this story really made my day!!!

#27 ·
Okay, I'll be home in 10 minutes. I live 15 miles from the shelter and will post pictures.

#28 ·
When we got home I put my GSD's outside in the backyard and then brought her in. She immediately started sniffing around in weird places. She eventually jumped on my couch and as soon as I said "lay down" she followed the command. She must be very well trained.
Here she is:

Attachments

#33 ·
My God - that is heartless!!!! To dump their sons dog in a KILL SHELTER????!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking her on.....with her training maybe one of the rescue groups can network into a working home for her if she is young!!!! She looks happy to be on the couch, so hopefully she can go to a real home, worked or not!

Lee

#34 ·
When I win the lottery :D I'm going to build a place for these guys to go. It's just tragic what happens to some working dogs after their professional career is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.