German Shepherds Forum banner

*Urgent-Should I Adopt Her?

13K views 75 replies 36 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Kaiya is a beautiful and sweet 2 year old AKC registered GSD that I came across at a kill shelter 2 hours ago. Kaiya's previous owner was killed in Afghanistan and she was inherited to the owner's parents. Kaiya was used as a bomb dog to detect any hidden explosives as the troops went on missions. The parents of the owner were too old to keep up with Kaiya and placed her in a kill shelter. I was doing paperwork for one of my GSD's when I saw her. She was such a sweet girl and her and I bonded quick. I would take her in a heartbeat, but I already have 4 GSD's and one of them I adopted only a month ago (Hunter). I'm debating whether or not I should just say "yes" and bring her home because today is when she is supposed to be euthanized. I'm in my car driving now and am ready to turn around and get her, but would it better for her to be put to rest than face 4 GSD's? Advice?

#65 ·
bomb dog or no bomb dog...thank you for saving her, just be careful and don't come to any conclusions until you've checked out all the possibilities and looked at the situation from all points of view.

#66 ·
I wouldn't really say too much about the back story that you were given about the dog. On the forum you said "go" and point at something, she will sniff around and will lie down when she thinks she has found a "bomb".
Try that in public spaces and you will frighten and panic people . That's like yelling FIRE in a theatre .

#67 ·
If the dog is responding to something besides odor, it's false responding, which is no big deal for you because the dog is not operational. It only takes a few repetitions for the dog to figure out it can get rewarded for false responding.

If you want to continue the detection work for fun, you can get into Nosework, which you and the dog may really enjoy. I would recommend getting the Andrew Ramsey DVDs (at a minimum) and finding a trainer in your area. Any LE trainer will be able to show you the ropes of doing detection, and Nosework is getting more popular.

If the dog is only 2, it was probably dropped from the program for various reasons. I wouldn't worry about why too much unless it was for nerve issues. Just train the dog in front of you and don't get too wrapped up in the back story IMO.

#73 ·
I think Jusdy took a break from the forum after another thread took a negative tone?

#75 ·
The other thing I have to say a furever home this will be. My GSD all have lived to be at least 10 most 12 -15. Except Max who caught Blue Tongue which invaded our valley in 03 50 dogs died that year. A lot of deer and elk also died and some cattle. SHe would have a good and loving home. Thanks Merle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.