German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue Stories & Where are they now? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-stories-where-they-now/)
-   -   Vent regarding old dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-stories-where-they-now/430034-vent-regarding-old-dog.html)

Bridget 03-27-2014 10:25 AM

Vent regarding old dog

At the shelter where we volunteer, we have a 14 YEAR OLD Cori who just came in recently, 14 YEARS OLD! What kind of a person gives up a 14 year old dog?? My husband is dog foster coordinator and I am going to see if he can't find a foster home for her, as this old girl shouldn't have to possibly live her last few months in a shelter, even a good one like ours. We have some really miraculous adoptions take place, and I know there are people who like to adopt seniors; still, at that age, I can't imagine she won't be with us for a while. I could never do intakes, I would just lose it.

Okin 03-27-2014 10:27 AM

That is terrible. I understand an old dog is a lot of work, heartbreak and can be a lot of money. I would give a toe to have my 14.5 year old back for even a month!

Courtney 03-27-2014 10:28 AM

Gosh- I have such a soft spot for senior dogs.

Your post reminded me of this recent news story.

Elderly couple surrender their 13-year-old dog with heartbreaking note | MyFOX8.com

Shade 03-27-2014 10:48 AM

That's awful, I hope she can find a loving home for the last few years of her life

SuperG 03-27-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridget (Post 5276986)
What kind of a person gives up a 14 year old dog??

I always like to think there are two sides to most every situation ....one being the most obvious and the other side which might not be as obvious. Yes, most folks with a knee jerk reaction would comment such as you did but if we do not know the truth behind the situation, we are speculating....and chances might be our "guess" is accurate. However, thinking about the type of person that gives up a 14 year old dog...assuming they had the dog for the vast majority of those 14 years leads me to believe they did it out of necessity not out of selfishness. Perhaps, the only option they had was to surrender their beloved companion to a shelter rather than simply put the dog down??... I certainly do not know but there are situations which exist, forcing humans to do things which others really scratch their heads about...and this is a good example. Please understand, the opinion I submit is defending the exception not the rule when it comes to dogs ending up in a shelter. And I also salute you for donating your time at the shelter as it must be emotionally difficult at times seeing the hardships human impose on dogs.

SuperG

LaRen616 03-27-2014 11:11 AM

When I see older dogs in rescues I often wonder if the previous owner was elderly and passed away and either animal control took the dog to the shelter or a family member that couldn't or wouldn't take the dog in had to take it to the shelter.

It's still extremely sad though.

MiaMoo 03-27-2014 12:16 PM

I am always sad to see senior animals in animal shelters, but I try not to be mad at the owner. You never know the situatuon that led them to be surrendered. For all you know you could be angry at someone that has passed, someone that became too ill to care for the dog, or someone that ran into financial problems and could no longer give the dog the care they needed/deserved. I like to believe that anyone that has raised a dog for so ling wouldn't give them up if there wasn't a pretty good reason.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

sehrgutcsg 03-27-2014 12:23 PM

It would be nice that you could do the best you can, for this animal, no one knows, if the owner passed away - we don't know the story. Do we ?

RebelGSD 03-27-2014 12:58 PM

And there are the countless owners that give up dogs because they are "too old" in favor of getting a new puppy. Since nobody has mentioned this option yet. Or lifestyle changes, moving, allergies, etc...

JakodaCD OA 03-27-2014 02:44 PM

people stink:(

I have a 14 yr old aussie, I could NEVER EVER give her up, or ANY of my animals no matter the age..