German Shepherds Forum banner

Baltimore/DC Metro Sweet Senior Sisters Need Foster Home or Permenant Placmt -adopted

22K views 122 replies 23 participants last post by  Karin 
#1 ·
I evaluated these two with my confident/neutral GSD "Tip". They are not dog, people resource or cat aggressive. They are absolutely starved for attention. Abandoned in foreclosure situation. College age daughter found the two of them in garage, starving and hopping with fleas. Ex-wife (substance abuser) of one of guardians left property and dogs without informing ex husband and current wife they were still there.

Current guardians have provided basic veterinary care and food/water/bathroom breaks, however they reside in garage. They are simply put not "animal people" and are providing care primarily for sake of daughter. Dogs have been upgraded to grain free food and given additional bedding as rescue requested. ROR is financing spay/ senior bloodwork and evaluation/medication of ear infections. These gals, litter-mates, have been together for 9 1/2 years through thick and thin. and are bonded like peas in a pod. After all these dogs have been through together, they just must be placed together.

The perfect situation does exist. They are VERY EASY KEEPERS. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT MEDICAL COSTS, PLEASE CONSIDER FOSTERING, YOU PROVIDE AN INSIDE HOME, FOOD, WATER AND LOVE : ).

FROM EVALUATION:

They are really, nice, sweet dogs. Extremely friendly to strangers, they just want to be petted. When I squatted down to take pictures they would lick my face and gently nudge their muzzles under my hands. No resource protecting, I could pet them and remove their food bowls while they were eating. Let me touch them all over, could remove balls/toys from mouth.

Training is lax, they will sit, they kind of come, mostly bonded to college age daughter. They walked nicely on leash, a little pulling but not excessive. Cheverly is the dominant sister, Thunder is the follower, they are like two peas in a pod, really cute together. They are reported to have lived with cats and don't go crazy when they see them out on street

Thunder was accepting of Tip, Cheverly took more time to settle, there was normal GSD barking and establishing who would be boss of who. Tip is confident and avoids conflict, he has never picked a fight, but will not cower or roll over. They did not play together, there was not safe area to have them all off leash, but could be walked peacefully together.

The reported story is the dogs were left behind by ex-wife (substance abuser) in jointly owned home. She did not tell current guardian she was leaving them. Daughter discovered them there, very skinny and invested with fleas, large bald patches. Guardians have had possession of them since August, vetted them and are taking OK care of them. They live in a two car garage on a concrete floor with a blanket. The garage smelled neutral, dogs are reliably house trained. Both were persistently shaking heads and ears were bothering them. Fur was dry and wooly. Feeding "Beneful" dry kibble.

Guardian said she would take them to your vet for the spay/bloodwork and pay separately for the ear treatment. They do seem like straight shooters and have provided basic care for dogs for the daughter's sake. Husband offered to contribute to the rescue a modest sum to help cover upkeep for them.

Thats pretty much it, if you have any questions I haven't covered do let me know, I was there for about an hour and a half.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Yes, I have inquired with both VGSR, MAGSR and my home rescue ASR. VGSR is very senior heavy right now...ROR is financing them ... so if anyone is concerned about health costs in the future..FOSTER could be a great way to give these dear ladies the security and peace in they need..

They are really spry fun dogs, they are not high maintanence at all.. EASY KEEPERS, if anyone has a little more space....

Please ladies network for them. I know a situation is out there : )) They just need advocates and attention. My direct email is courtesypost@allshepherdrescue.com i will follow any lead for them. :)

#10 ·
Thanks so much ladies, this forum was the reason for an absoluted miracle adoption of an epileptic Shepherd into a DREAM home. They are a very special case and will touch the right heart...

These gals would be appropriate for apartment living or human seniors. They have a lot to give and just want a set of eyes looking back at them to tell them they are loved.

#12 ·
OK just talked to hubby we would love to help these 2 girls by fostering them and hopefully becoming foster fails. He is a trucker and runs the eastcoast could try to schedule a run to philly or something to get the girls as we are interested. However I have Lucky and he is less then predictable. I would love see these two. I would need an agency to who if it wasnot the right placement would continue to look for a place for them. There are so many questions and issues that would need worked on chiefly would lucky accept them and they him? Everything else is doable.

#15 ·
check with Weeping Willow as well

#17 ·
This is a great forum! Will keep updates coming along.

Have been in touch with Daisy & Lucky's mom as a potential foster/adopter and thank you Dharma's mom for the link to the GSDfacebook community...it is one I have not tried.

Kindest,

Ria

#18 ·
I got the foster app and am filing it out and talked to RPLe. Hope to turn in by Friday. We have a few bumps here as my motherinlaw is in ICU here after a coronary and things are not real good. We hope to use the weekend before New Years to drive down and meet but its still pretty up in the air.

#20 ·
I hope everything works out and Lucky likes the girls. I felt so bad for those 2 girls when I saw the post. Specially if they were to be split up. Good luck.

#24 ·
You are a star for taking these two babies in for Xmas.

#26 ·
I am happy to make a donation in early Jan towards their vetting costs.

#27 ·
Thank you
Reach Out Rescue is the rescue if you go to there website or you can contact the OP of this thread and she can let you know how best to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.