German Shepherds Forum banner

Baltimore/DC Metro Sweet Senior Sisters Need Foster Home or Permenant Placmt -adopted

22K views 122 replies 23 participants last post by  Karin 
#1 ·
I evaluated these two with my confident/neutral GSD "Tip". They are not dog, people resource or cat aggressive. They are absolutely starved for attention. Abandoned in foreclosure situation. College age daughter found the two of them in garage, starving and hopping with fleas. Ex-wife (substance abuser) of one of guardians left property and dogs without informing ex husband and current wife they were still there.

Current guardians have provided basic veterinary care and food/water/bathroom breaks, however they reside in garage. They are simply put not "animal people" and are providing care primarily for sake of daughter. Dogs have been upgraded to grain free food and given additional bedding as rescue requested. ROR is financing spay/ senior bloodwork and evaluation/medication of ear infections. These gals, litter-mates, have been together for 9 1/2 years through thick and thin. and are bonded like peas in a pod. After all these dogs have been through together, they just must be placed together.

The perfect situation does exist. They are VERY EASY KEEPERS. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT MEDICAL COSTS, PLEASE CONSIDER FOSTERING, YOU PROVIDE AN INSIDE HOME, FOOD, WATER AND LOVE : ).

FROM EVALUATION:

They are really, nice, sweet dogs. Extremely friendly to strangers, they just want to be petted. When I squatted down to take pictures they would lick my face and gently nudge their muzzles under my hands. No resource protecting, I could pet them and remove their food bowls while they were eating. Let me touch them all over, could remove balls/toys from mouth.

Training is lax, they will sit, they kind of come, mostly bonded to college age daughter. They walked nicely on leash, a little pulling but not excessive. Cheverly is the dominant sister, Thunder is the follower, they are like two peas in a pod, really cute together. They are reported to have lived with cats and don't go crazy when they see them out on street

Thunder was accepting of Tip, Cheverly took more time to settle, there was normal GSD barking and establishing who would be boss of who. Tip is confident and avoids conflict, he has never picked a fight, but will not cower or roll over. They did not play together, there was not safe area to have them all off leash, but could be walked peacefully together.

The reported story is the dogs were left behind by ex-wife (substance abuser) in jointly owned home. She did not tell current guardian she was leaving them. Daughter discovered them there, very skinny and invested with fleas, large bald patches. Guardians have had possession of them since August, vetted them and are taking OK care of them. They live in a two car garage on a concrete floor with a blanket. The garage smelled neutral, dogs are reliably house trained. Both were persistently shaking heads and ears were bothering them. Fur was dry and wooly. Feeding "Beneful" dry kibble.

Guardian said she would take them to your vet for the spay/bloodwork and pay separately for the ear treatment. They do seem like straight shooters and have provided basic care for dogs for the daughter's sake. Husband offered to contribute to the rescue a modest sum to help cover upkeep for them.

Thats pretty much it, if you have any questions I haven't covered do let me know, I was there for about an hour and a half.

Attachments

See less See more
#61 ·
OK I will upload pictures. I lost my first attempt so here goes another try:
The girls: Chevy and Thunder

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Thunder . She is the extrovert cover girl

Vertebrate Mammal Black Dog breed Canidae
Cheverily or now Chevy the I hate cameras girl

Mammal Dog breed Canidae Dog Carnivore
The girls on their space

Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Dog
The girls walking in the yard

#64 ·
Thanks. I napped with them last night for awhile. They like couches. Lucky is tolerating but I have to make sure he doesnt get left out. We are waiting another week maybe longer for the meet. Thunder has runny stool but we will work that out.

#67 ·
Every time I see this thread, it makes me smile.

You are so very special for keeping these girls together and giving them a chance.

Another name has been added to my list of heroes!
Thanks. We have one girl,Chevy, w/ diaherra other then that they are fine.Still on Lock down. They come in the house when you say Come on and they follow you in.Day #5

#68 ·
Day#7: Went to the vets. Wow havent had a day like that in alot of years. The girls barked and growled at each other tried to chase a cat that had walked into the hall where they were being weighed. Oh and Thunder went after the statue of a blacl lab on the outside of the office scared two boxer mixes and their parent. I quickly apologized and asked if we could be in a office. They got us one.Girls are not H/W will start meds. have to go back to get them Monday. I swear Daisy is upstairs in heaven rolling over b/c they were her at 18 months. OMG We need a trainer. They snark at each other to the point Im ready to rename them Joan Crawford and Betty Davis.For the younger crew Nicki Monogue and Mariah .Thunder is definitely Bette and Cheverily is Joan.We will try seperate appts next. Due to the diaherra I didnt bring treats even though its slowed down but Thunder still has a runny stool.Lockdown Week2 continues!

#69 ·
As much as I would like to double up on vet appointments to save money I keep them seperate on different days. That way I only have to focus on one rather then two :)

It sounds like you're doing just fine, some dogs settle faster then others :). Stress can cause issues (like the snarkiness) but a consistent schedule and training should help it subside as they learn the ropes

#70 ·
As much as I would like to double up on vet appointments to save money I keep them seperate on different days. That way I only have to focus on one rather then two :)

It sounds like you're doing just fine, some dogs settle faster then others :). Stress can cause issues (like the snarkiness) but a consistent schedule and training should help it subside as they learn the ropes
Thats what Im hoping.
The girls were weighed
Thunder is 67 lbs and Chevy is 80lbs.

#71 ·
Well here in Three Dog Day #10/11 the girls finally have firm stool. We switched them to Lucky's food Blue Buffaslo Chicken and Rice and the runs stopped. They got their new beds. They have denium covered ortheopedic memory foam. As soon as i put them down Chevy was on it.Thunder kind of bounced on hers. They will start H/W this Saturday so they and Lucky are on the same schedule. Need to call to set up training.Today Thunder picked up a toy and began throwing it in the air. Will need to put up all toys as Lucky does not like to share. Thunder behaves much younger.

#73 ·
The two weeks arent up yet and I wanted to wait till everybody was home and we didnt have alot going.Lucky barks at them when he sees them through the patio door but he doesnt try to get down to them. I now get up at 5:45 to be at work at 8:30AM that way everyone has time to eat ,poop and play. On top of that making sure Lucky still gets his time w/ me.

#75 ·
Another update . Its been two weeks Here is what Ive learned about the girls.

Thunder- Much more active ,seems to have aged kind of like Lucky ,a slow process. She does not have the pain issues that Chevy does.Thunder is a kissy i need to cuddle girl.
Chevy- Slower ,mobility issues. Will see Doc tuesday for Vacs and will discuss her hips and such. Chevy reminds me alot of Daisy.She shows more age then Thunder. She seems like the Alpha but like all females that position is always changeable. Chevy seems like she loves to cuddle but I think her pain issues make her want to stretch out by herself. She loves having her belly and chest scratched and is the queen of dog beds. She talks constantly.
Both girls seem to like being brushed. Thats new for me as brushing Daisy or Lucky meant restraining them or doing an aerobic run w/ the tools. The girls are not happy w/ the new calves in the pasture next to us but as two fences seperate not a safety issue. I just need to desensitize them.Both slipped on the ice that formed overnight. Thunder screamed and lifted her left paw. I herded her over to the patio and by the time we made it she was walking much better but we will rest her today. Chevy was fine but had a slip coming from the concrete into the screen room. She yelped but her movement looked OK . Will watch her thunder may be as dramatically gifted as Lucky. Will see.

As for our lone boy. He gets quite upset when the girls ,Thunder play w/ his toys and actually after barking and whining threw himself down on the floor and whined and cried until our son could redirect him w/ his indoor balls.
So thats the story so far of the Baltimore sisters and the Browns dog Lucky.

Oh yea. The girls got into it yesterday both trying the gate. Both drew blood but no real medical issue arose. Can barely see the marks on either today. My husband yelled at them from the top ogf the stairs it stopped . Son went down and saw the blood. Sprayed each w/ come antiseptic or rather wiped as Thunder's wound was near her eye.
Future plans;
1. get a trainer; Left a VM for a recommended trainer waiting on call back.

#76 ·
Well I have a couple minutes so here is a recap for those interested: Thunder ,Chevy and Lucky had an offical meet and greet w/ a trainer. The girls rode in one car and Lucky and I were in another. Went to the training center and met Karen. Chevy went nuts barking which sparked Thunder. Took Chevy out of the mix tried another meet just Thunder and Luck. She snapped at his rear. At this time Lucky started lifting his lip. Took Luck and Thunder on a walk alternating which one in front. Lots of high value trweats. That is the plan for along time.Learned stuff I knew like not face to face side ways meetings like a T but seeing it and doing it w/ a trainer is much more helpful.
Chevy has some real weakness in her hips and appeared to the Trainer to be in pain.As a result we backed off having Chev do anything and our son played w/ chevy and fed her some treats while we walked. Chevy it looks like will be a stay at home dog and as Karen advised use some Interactive toys to help her cope when Lucky and Thunder are out or just Thunder, Chevyy loves her dog bed and the couch when my kingsize 4 stripe blanket is on it and she loves to curl up like a fox on Daisy's old fleecey topped lumpy bed.
Am hoping to get to the pet store today to get the prong collars for Thunder ( who should be called Gator as she pulls ) and Lucky.Thunder pulls so much she could be a small draft horse. The girls have calmed down and we havent had any spats between them,especially since Chevy started the pain meds.. The girls got their first raw bone today and they are currently chomping away. I think Thunder is going to get some private lessons hopefuly followed by a class.She is very active I think maybe some low impact agility. I have a tunnel and a small box thats 3 in high if I can find it . I need to help her find some ways to get tired. The Interactive toy wil help Chevy.
The girls are wearing Daisy's slightly used collars. Chevy has a pink leather studded one on that is actually very sophisticated. Thunder is wearing a greeen one but I want a purple one for her or red.
Chevy is almost done w/ her pain meds Provacid and she is on 6 beef treats which have chondroitin and glucosamine for her arthritis. The girls are Ok and both are very talkative. Lucky is coping. Today we are starting the next stage of desentization. When more then one of us is home we leave the basement door open and gate the top of the basement stairs w/ the gate shut at the bottome of the steps so they can see each other in passing So we continue the integration.
Honestly I think it will always be somewhat seperate . I hope though that on Christmas eve the 3 dogs are adjusted enought that w/ being tightly supervised they can watch our traditional Christmas movies w/ us.The girls will always have a place w/ us but I think there will always need to be some degree of seperation and rotation.That is Ok and we will work to make this as comfortable as possible for everybody.

#77 ·
BTW the daughter of Chevy and Thunder's rescuers who was raised w/ the girls told me the girls when younger were 4aised w/ a fenced in yard. They also loved Busy Bones and in general are treat hounds. they got fed alot of chicken and steak so they can handle some human food. Boy waS SHE RIGHT. jShe also called Thunder "curious george. She was defintely right on that. Thunder decided last week to go through my husband trash can next to his desk. it was filled w/ lots of paper and some cardboard. She being quite savy didnot stand going through the trash ,nope she hauled the can over to her bed and rooted through it at her leisure and in comfort.

#78 ·
you are such an angel doing what your doing:) Those two are very lucky to have you. thanks for the update!

#80 ·
Thanks guys,I would hope that someday if god forbid a dog of mine needs help karma will be on my side.. Got a little lazy today so no walks but w/ the door open they arent even looking up or down the stairs.

#82 ·
just catching up on some WATN's...what a wonderful example of what commitment to a rescue dog is, x2(!!). beautiful job, bless their hearts, and your's too.

#83 ·
Well the girls and Lucky went to our small park. It has a gazebo and fire dept pavilluion there. We walked. Chevy only barked once .Lucky did some staring but then there were so many trees to pee on that well you know!Anyways the no no bad dog was Thunder who barked, cried and in general did a Gator walk worthy of our Daisy. I know Daisy was watching from the bridge rolling in laughter watching her dad get pulled. We forgot to put Thunder's prong collaron. No growls just lots of whining from Lucky when we sat on bencheds back to back . Thunder tried to sniff over the bench ,Lucky under the bench and Chevy just watched. We will try again tommorrow (supposed to be 60degrees) and then sit on the deck w/ them on leash when we get back. Chevy finished her pain meds this week and today walked for about a half to 3/4 of a mile before she was done. Everybody is sleeping now.Thunder is a handful and a half ,she gators and barks and cries and snarled when getting her leash on. She however did calm down, She has to have a seatbelt in the car . Oh shades of Daisy's adolescence are coming back to me.Im drinking a Corona now!

#85 ·
news flash: when we got home from our little walk the girls went inside and Chevy looked beat gave them some treats ,bully stick and fresh water. They came back outside and then it was Lucky's turn. It had gotten late and dark so our son was looking for Luck . Lucky was curled up next to the door to the basementand the girls were curled us next to it inside the basement and the storm door was not damaged. We will keep trying the slow but steady exposure.
Rebel We originally had were going to do that plan but as it was so nice we took them all and no big problems. Chevy will stay home tommorrow w/ dad and lay on the upstairs couch getting belly rubs while Thunder the gator dog and Lucky will do another walk .
Rebel GSD Thanks its a process. Lucky freaks out w/ muzzles and Im not sure about the girls. I think the fact that Lucky wants to be with them is good right and the fact that they are all laying down in sight of each other.

#88 · (Edited)
Well the day went a little differently then my plan but alls well that ends well right? everyone got their breakfast and time outside this am. then i went outside to play ball w/ lucky and then he sat out on the deck and hubby and i fed ourselves. The girls popped the gate and made their way up the stairs at which point we closed the door to the outside let the girls up and they got to eat an egg and half a pc of toast .Meanwhile Lucky just looked through the glass. later we switched Lucky inside girls out on deck and only a little lip curling by the girls. We then did a walk around our yard w/ three dogs ,then Lucky and Thunder and then Chevy and Lucky.By this time everyone was a little tired and the girls went downstairs and Lucky got a car ride nd walk. Every one is now in bed except the two legged members of the family. Anyways the intergration continues. BTW Lucky has been a true gentlemen thru all the intros. Today we used a screen door w/ the dog door in it w/ its hard plastic cover on and I still have a screen door. So stay tune for the next segement of Going from one too three.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.