German Shepherds Forum banner

Baltimore/DC Metro Sweet Senior Sisters Need Foster Home or Permenant Placmt -adopted

22K views 122 replies 23 participants last post by  Karin 
#1 ·
I evaluated these two with my confident/neutral GSD "Tip". They are not dog, people resource or cat aggressive. They are absolutely starved for attention. Abandoned in foreclosure situation. College age daughter found the two of them in garage, starving and hopping with fleas. Ex-wife (substance abuser) of one of guardians left property and dogs without informing ex husband and current wife they were still there.

Current guardians have provided basic veterinary care and food/water/bathroom breaks, however they reside in garage. They are simply put not "animal people" and are providing care primarily for sake of daughter. Dogs have been upgraded to grain free food and given additional bedding as rescue requested. ROR is financing spay/ senior bloodwork and evaluation/medication of ear infections. These gals, litter-mates, have been together for 9 1/2 years through thick and thin. and are bonded like peas in a pod. After all these dogs have been through together, they just must be placed together.

The perfect situation does exist. They are VERY EASY KEEPERS. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT MEDICAL COSTS, PLEASE CONSIDER FOSTERING, YOU PROVIDE AN INSIDE HOME, FOOD, WATER AND LOVE : ).

FROM EVALUATION:

They are really, nice, sweet dogs. Extremely friendly to strangers, they just want to be petted. When I squatted down to take pictures they would lick my face and gently nudge their muzzles under my hands. No resource protecting, I could pet them and remove their food bowls while they were eating. Let me touch them all over, could remove balls/toys from mouth.

Training is lax, they will sit, they kind of come, mostly bonded to college age daughter. They walked nicely on leash, a little pulling but not excessive. Cheverly is the dominant sister, Thunder is the follower, they are like two peas in a pod, really cute together. They are reported to have lived with cats and don't go crazy when they see them out on street

Thunder was accepting of Tip, Cheverly took more time to settle, there was normal GSD barking and establishing who would be boss of who. Tip is confident and avoids conflict, he has never picked a fight, but will not cower or roll over. They did not play together, there was not safe area to have them all off leash, but could be walked peacefully together.

The reported story is the dogs were left behind by ex-wife (substance abuser) in jointly owned home. She did not tell current guardian she was leaving them. Daughter discovered them there, very skinny and invested with fleas, large bald patches. Guardians have had possession of them since August, vetted them and are taking OK care of them. They live in a two car garage on a concrete floor with a blanket. The garage smelled neutral, dogs are reliably house trained. Both were persistently shaking heads and ears were bothering them. Fur was dry and wooly. Feeding "Beneful" dry kibble.

Guardian said she would take them to your vet for the spay/bloodwork and pay separately for the ear treatment. They do seem like straight shooters and have provided basic care for dogs for the daughter's sake. Husband offered to contribute to the rescue a modest sum to help cover upkeep for them.

Thats pretty much it, if you have any questions I haven't covered do let me know, I was there for about an hour and a half.

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
The girls ,Thunder and Cheverly might get here on Saturday as long as I pass the home study. Wow I think Ill start a thread asking for advice on how to do this. We are fostering for two weeks and then they are ours.

#37 ·
ok we will need to meet the transport about 2.5 hours away and we dont have anyone to help us introduce them . So anyone know some bone in NE ohio who in the late afternoon could help us w/ introductions? or give some advice?

#39 ·
leave your dog at home when you go get the girls, take the girls home, keep the girls separated from your dog and do the 2 week shutdown , then slowly one dog at a time after a few weeks have your husband walk one girl and you walk your dog and slowly do intros that way, it might take a month or 2, but slow and steady is the way to go....

#41 ·
We chose not to have the girls come this weekend . We would like to meet them ,transport ourselves and foster them and hopefully fail.The concern was no one to help introdyce 3 dogs and Lucky is unpredictable.We are approved and will do everything we can to get the girls here.

#43 ·
they shouldnt meet ur dog for a bit anyway, let them settle in for a few weeks then do one on one walks with u and ur husband with slow intros over a month time after they have a 2 week shutdown. i have had a few that didnt meet my crew for over a month then i did slow one to one intros with a friend helping

#45 ·
The girls are THRIVING on their grain free food and their coats look so much better than just 6 weeks ago. The spays were also successful in that their were some ovarian cysts removed to boot. Guardian reports energy levels are up and they are ready for some fun :):) All ear infections are resolved and they are no longer shaking their heads from the discomfort.

Looking forward to end of the month and meeting up with Daisy & Lucky's Mom!!

#47 ·
The girls are THRIVING on their grain free food and their coats look so much better than just 6 weeks ago. The spays were also successful in that their were some ovarian cysts removed to boot. Guardian reports energy levels are up and they are ready for some fun :):) All ear infections are resolved and they are no longer shaking their heads from the discomfort.

Looking forward to end of the month and meeting up with Daisy & Lucky's Mom!!
We are too!

#48 ·
Bon Voyage!!

Cheverly & Thunder are on their way to Foster to Adopt Home Today!!

Daisy's Mom had the back seat of the truck all tricked out for a comfy ride home complete with a ramp and safety restraints. Girls have spent their last night in the garage:happyboogie::happyboogie::happyboogie::happyboogie::happyboogie:and have dream parents to love them now.

Good Luck with the slow intro's to Lucky and hope he comes to love (or at least get along with) his new sisters :). He is a rescue brother.

#52 ·
Praying for lots of sibling love. LOL! Great news!
Thanks ! Just got home. The rotation schedule has started. Everybody but Lucky is tired! Ill post later. They will spend the next two weeks here and on leash in the yard as we dont know what their recall. Will try intros later. Right now its like protective custody at our house. Steven & Zach's Mom Im joining you in the prayer that they recognize they are all brother and sisters.Now to play w/ Lucky and check on the girls.

#55 ·
Thanks Everybody.Just said goodnite to the girls, Poor Chevy(Cheverily) is very stiff from the ride as Thunder took 80 % of the seat. Laid some of our old beds down but Chevy is sleeping on her blankets the folks who saved them gave us. Lucky had his last trip out now the girls. Lucky is whining but our son and nephew stopped by and they plsayed w/ him as I did. Im headed to bed.

#58 ·
please do not introduce the fosters to your dog now, just do the 2 week shutdown and let the girls relax in their new environment, and go slow with them and your dog, if you rush things there will be problems and it wont work out
Definitely! We will probablu wait at least a week and have them meet at a park on leash firsdt time. But they see each other out in the yard from the doors on either level.

#59 ·
i would wait at least 2 weeks before the dogs start to meet, let the old ladies settle in before you try to introduce them. sometimes the longer you wait the better the intros go because your dog gets to be smelling and hearing them and after a while it will be a routine that he will know. after 2 weeks you can try your dog and one of the females. you have your dog and your husband have the female, or vise versa. take them for a nice strolll around the neighborhood , then bring home but dont let them meet at your house, put eeach one away. do this for a week taking one of them and your dog for a walk around the block. then home. after a week of them doing this, take them for a walk each one and then see h ow they do meeting, if the meeting goes well, try to meet them in the house or yard. if the meetig doesnt go well on the walk then the dogs are not ready to meet. it could take a month for all 3 to get along, or your dog might decide he doesnt want to know them and wont be cooperative. then you will have to do a room/rotate schedule forever..

#60 ·
i would wait at least 2 weeks before the dogs start to meet, let the old ladies settle in before you try to introduce them. sometimes the longer you wait the better the intros go because your dog gets to be smelling and hearing them and after a while it will be a routine that he will know. after 2 weeks you can try your dog and one of the females. you have your dog and your husband have the female, or vise versa. take them for a nice strolll around the neighborhood , then bring home but dont let them meet at your house, put eeach one away. do this for a week taking one of them and your dog for a walk around the block. then home. after a week of them doing this, take them for a walk each one and then see h ow they do meeting, if the meeting goes well, try to meet them in the house or yard. if the meetig doesnt go well on the walk then the dogs are not ready to meet. it could take a month for all 3 to get along, or your dog might decide he doesnt want to know them and wont be cooperative. then you will have to do a room/rotate schedule forever..
I pmed you as well.Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.