Introducing my GSD rescue! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Introducing my GSD rescue!

Hi, everyone. I've chimed in on a few threads here and there, but I'd like to officially introduce Heinz, my rescued stray GSD. Here's our story:

I lease a horse at a barn in a Houston suburb, and one Saturday went out to ride as usual. As I parked, I saw a sad old dog sitting patiently by one of the horse trailers - he had a collar and a long tie out lead on, and I assumed he was with some new borders who had arrived that week. I spoke kindly to him, and he shrunk away behind a trailer. I figured he was just shy and waiting for his owners.

Arriving in the tack room, I was greeted by my friend the barn owner who said "How do you like the stray dog?". Turns out he had showed up a couple of hours earlier, dragging his leash, and looking like he wanted to stay. Barn owner's Great Pyrenees wanted to kill this strange dog so she was frantically calling around to rescue groups trying to find a place for him to land. She was of the opinion that putting him in a high-kill shelter like we have here in Houston would be a death sentence for him, since he looked like this:
Keri Csencsits Smith's Photos | Facebook

Mind you, I was not looking for a dog. We live in a small house in the city with 3 cats. Plus my friend is very active in rescue, and I could have had a dog 10 times over had I ever said the word, but there was something about this poor stray.... out of nowhere I found myself saying "Well, if you can catch him, he can live in my backyard for a while until we can find a better place for him."

Friend snagged his leash (he had apparently decided that she was The Boss around this place and he'd let her get close enough to him) Once she had the lead, he was staring at her with what I know now is that GSD "Full attention" look, just dying to have someone to give him orders, and my heart melted even more. We realized he STUNK, and gave him a quick bath with antibacterial shampoo. Oh, he was in bad shape! What hair he had left was falling out, he was too skinny, and he had nails like dragon talons. We could only assume he had been tied out for a long time and either escaped or got dumped "out in the country". But he was an angel with us and the bath, no fussing, just a little whine where we hit a scabbed over patch. I'm thinking "Wow, this is a nice dog"

So we loaded him in the back of my Outback (had to lift him in there, his back end was so atrophied) and off we went.

Did I mention I'm married? Did I mention I did not inform my beloved husband of our newest housemate? Did I mention I am married to the most tolerant man on Earth?

We arrived home, I let "senor stench" out in our small backyard, and husband comes to the back door, "What is THAT????". I replied "That is a half-starved, smelly and mangy German Shepherd. And we don't have to keep him!" (yeah, right).

And come on, just look at that face!

Then our big tuxedo cat came out to see what the fuss was about and strutted over to the dog. Dog is all "Oh, hey Cat, what's up???", sniffs him and proceeds to ignore him otherwise. I'm thinking, "Wow, this is a really nice dog"

Off to the local PetSmart for some food and a bed. He liked that:

Off to the vet for tests the next day. Seriously, he looked so sad I was prepared to send him over the bridge if it turned out he was seriously ill. But good news! Heartworm negative, no mange, just a yeast infection, and the vet correctly diagnosed hypothyroidism as the cause of the hair loss. And the vet and the vet tech are all "Wow, this a a really NICE dog!:

So lots of baths, twice a day meds, and he starts looking better:

In the meantime, he's gained Heinz as a name. Had to let hubby do the honors to give him more of a stake in the proceedings , but I think it fits. He's settling in well, we bought him a dog house to get out of the rain, he doesn't bark, he doesn't chase our cats, he walks nicely on the lead (though I feel compelled to say "He's a rescue" every time another dog owner gives us a Look as we walk past). He starts coming in the house more and more now that he isn't shedding skin everywhere and stinking. And he's still a really nice dog.

I halfheartedly contact a few rescues (who would be more than happy to list Heinz since I am fostering), but in the meantime I'm ordering books about German Shepherd Dogs and clicker training and looking up local obedience classes. Yeah, we know how this story goes.....

So three months in, and it looks like we have a diamond in the rough. Vet initial estimated his age at around 10, but now, we're guessing 5 or 6. (and his teeth are in great shape)

8 months later, and I couldn't imagine giving up my new best friend. He is, as far as I'm concerned, The Best Dog Ever. Loves to do things, super nice with people, kids, and other dogs, and I've lost 10 lbs because he likes to go on such long walks . I love working with him - nothing serious, just teaching basic commands and a few tricks here and there. Maybe at some point we'll try agility. He's my bar buddy, and will accompany me to the local on Friday nights for a pint (he loves sitting at the picnic table). And now when we go for a walk, it is not uncommon to hear: "WOW! That is a really NICE DOG!"
sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

WOW! Nice dog, and a great timeline you did there!
Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I love stories like this with happy endings Congrats on Heinz

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

What a great story and what a wonderful dog.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Great story and he's one handsome fella. So nice that you could see past what he initially looked like. I love happy endings Oh, and cudos to your very tolerant husband. I have one of those too!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I really enjoyed your story. What a lucky dog Heinz is!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow! Look what a little soap and a lot of love can do- such a transformation. He's one lucky, happy dog
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What a wonderful story about looking past a dogs current condition and seeing the gem within

He's gorgeous and knowing his story makes him that little bit more special, dogs give so much back to those who show them kindness (and a few treats )

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

How wonderful of you to make this dogs life so much better. He's a handsome fellow! Kudos to you and your hubbie for being such caring wonderful people to give this dog a happy endng!
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awwww, what a great heartwarming story. The look in Heinz's eyes are pure devotion to you, his hero! Thank you for sharing his first chapter with you...I hope to read many more!
If only he could tell you about his life before Heinz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.