Suzie the 7 month old GSD just arrived. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suzie the 7 month old GSD just arrived.

Hi All,
This is my first post on your great site so hoping for lots of advice please.
We have had GSD's before our boy Shadow who passed away a few years ago he was with us from 8 weeks old and left us at 11 years 2 months of age it was a very sad time and we never thought we could have another Shepherd after him.

As they say time is a great healer and we started to look for another GSD last month but this time we wanted to rehome one who did not have their forever home. After looking for a while we heard about Suzie ( we renamed her )who was 7 months old and in need of a lot of love and tender care, she was very underweight and my wife Tracey fell in love with her at first sight. She is very small and has had a bad start we brought her home on Monday the 09/07/2012 she woke us early 2am Friday morning vomiting so we had a trip to the vets Friday afternoon. She has had all her inoculations and been micro chipped so we knew it was very unlikely to be the Parvo virus.

We got into the vets office and she was weighed at 7.7 kilo as I have said she was skin and bone, she had an antibiotic injection and some tablets to bring home we also bought some special recovery food from them at 3 a tin ( small )we got 8 total cost to see the vet today 60 she needs to be checked again on Monday and if no better they will do blood tests at 150 plus consultation's and any other drugs or food she needs. We still think we did the right thing by buying her and not leaving her with her previous owners, we have bonded with her now and love her so much it would break our hearts if she does not improve by Monday and when the vet told us today it may be some thing serious if there is no improvement both my wife and I cryed.

I am happy to report that 12 hours on and she seems to be getting better and is more alert, she is now taking some boiled chicken and the special recovery food from the vets. I feels so happy I could cry with joy this time and just hope she makes a full recovery and starts to be a normal GSD puppy playing and bouncing about like she should be. When she is feeling better I will upload some photos of her.

Although she will always be a small girl because of the bad start she has had I know she will be a lot better off being with us and all the love and cuddles she will get, she was starting to enjoy playing with our grandsons before the vomiting started so I just hope she soon starts to feel much better.

I will look forward to any advice you want to offer especially if any of you have taken on a GSD that was neglected and is now healthy, many thanks for reading what I have had to say its nice to be able to get things said and to be offered advice.

Many thanks, Tracey & Wayne.
A sloppy lick from Suzie.
Tracey&Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congrats on your new arrival! So glad she found a safe and loving home. My dog is also a rescue that did not have a great start in life. He is an amazing dog! My last dog (who passed away 2 yrs ago at 14 yrs old) was a GSD mix rescue that was also an absolute joy.

I look forward to seeing pictures and hope you continue to update us on how she is doing as she recovers and settles into your home.

Happy to offer advice on any issues that arise, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things right now!
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Love her and give her some time to fit in! Take her out and about and have fun, make sure she doesn't get too bonded to the safety of the house and you. Want her to also love her new life/world.

PICTURES!???
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome from Texas! Suzie is one lucky girl...hope she continues to improve
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you for giving Suzie a loving and careing home. Hope that she continues to improve daily, will be watching for pics.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Update on Suzie!

We took Suzie back to the vets on the 23rd July and she weighed 11.9 K so she had put on 4.2 Kilo in 2 weeks and looked a different puppy still under weight but bouncing about like she should have been. The vet see her and said she was very pleased with the progress and to bring her back at the end of this month as long as all is going well, she is still a little food picky but eating Bakers puppy quite well and she loves her treats ( ears, bones, chicken chews, marrow treats and the odd sneaky milky biscuit from our biscuit barrel )

She seems to have put a little more weight on and she is getting really settled barking when some one knocks on the door, she seems to dislike men but loves our grandsons and grand daughter, she loves to chew on ankles when we walk around the house, I am trying to train her a little now with the simple sit command before she takes her treats from us which is working well. I would love for her to be more confident in the house and not shy away from company and hide behind my chair, any advice would be great?

I will get some pics loaded as soon as I can take some nice ones of her playing with the boys.

Thanks for all the nice comments we wish you all well.

Regards, Wayne & Tracey.
Tracey&Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.