German Shepherds Forum banner

About an Urgent Rescue Situation

22K views 180 replies 32 participants last post by  Mac's Mom 
#1 ·
Hi All, My husband was sent an email from a coworker who's daughter fosters for MADACC. She's looking for someone to take a GS/Akita mix dog who's "time is running out". My husband says the dog is in the custody of "animal control" We're both willing to take the dog in either as a foster or for adoption. My husband is making phone calls to find out what we have to do.
something just feels weird to me though. I don't know...

See less See more
#69 ·
"You can give a raw ORGANIC egg OCCASIONALLY. But continual use of raw eggs will cause the coat to become worse because it leads to a biotin deficiency. Raw egg whites contain avidin, an enzyme which ties up biotin (makes it unavailable for absorption into the body). Symptoms of biotin deficiency include dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), loss of hair, and poor growth."

from "ask a veterinarian" on the internet. lots of other sites with the same info, tho it seems like it's not as bad if mixed with the yolk.

i also used to feed wellness quite a few years ago but switched on the recommendation of the cashman's breeder. never had the same luxurious coats and no smell with any other kind of food. just throwing this out fyi, i just never saw such a difference with other foods.

#70 ·
The article I read, and there doesn't seem to be much information, is that the avidin in the egg white binds to the biotin and can cause a biotin deficiency. I think this would take an excessive amount of eggs.

There are a couple of solutions.

1) Don't overfeed raw eggs
2) Soft boil the eggs to deactivate the avidin. Bringing to a boil and then immediately turning off the heat to let them cool in the hot water should be sufficient.
3) Feed the egg yolks one day and the white the next.

The yolks are rich in biotin. Feeding only the whites is missing out on the full benefit.

#71 ·
jax, yup exactly what i copy and pasted about the avidin...don't know why i thought it had something to do with "albumin", other than it's another "a" word and i am so busy lately i feel like i'm goin' in six different directions, lol...gettin' on the internet is my "down time".

anyway, i think bart is a cutie and so is mac.

#73 ·
Good Morning All, Things are still going well. However, yesterday afternoon Bart showed his first sign of aggression. We were in the house for a bit during the storm (Bart showed no fear of thunder) anyway my husband sat on the couch with a plate of food. Bart started walking toward him and Mac followed. Bart turned around and growled and snapped at Mac. I was close enough to grab Mac and my husband grabbed Bart. Now I'm not going to obsess over every incident. This just surprised me.

#74 ·
just have to keep a watchful eye out and be ready. have a nice holiday and thank you for the kind words. i love these dogs, and want to help them in any way i can, shepherds have been a part of my life since before i was born.

#77 ·
I would feed dogs in crates only! No treats other than in crates. Without expectation of food - and having to protect it - you should be able to alter this behavior - or yes, avoid it. As the relationships settle in, and expectations and environment are more predictable, you can add treats outside the crate down the road. Best thing NOW is to get them in a relationship without negative behaviors or incidents. Don't push the togetherness too much until Bart is more settled. I am assuming both are neutered?

Lee

#81 ·
I would feed dogs in crates only! No treats other than in crates. Without expectation of food - and having to protect it - you should be able to alter this behavior - or yes, avoid it. As the relationships settle in, and expectations and environment are more predictable, you can add treats outside the crate down the road. Best thing NOW is to get them in a relationship without negative behaviors or incidents. Don't push the togetherness too much until Bart is more settled. I am assuming both are neutered?

Lee
Thanks Lee. Mac still gets fed in the kitchen but I've been putting Bart's food in his crate. Bart races to eat his food so he can go after Mac's. Today he actually broke down the baby gate to get to Mac's food.

This is probably wrong but I give Bart treats after eating to distract him so Mac can finish his meal.

#78 ·
Hi all - Just want to give an update on Bart.

We understand that its only been a few weeks and cannot truly know Bart's true personality yet. But, so far he is a sweetheart. He's a smelly little porqupine but we still let him sleep with us. Some people may disagree with that but I don't have the heart to make him sleep alone in his crate. Mac doesn't mind and there is enough room for all of us. And if it gets too crowded my husband can always sleep on the couch (j/k).

#82 ·
That's wonderful to hear Carrie! I'm so glad he's fit in so well with your family. :)
Thanks :) You're so sweet. Bart is so good. So much easier than a puppy :) I've been joking lately that ..either I'm the dog whisperer (not), Bart is a genius (maybe) or he actually was trained by a previous owner. He does not act like the dog Animal Control described. We did treat him like a puppy from day 1 and trained him accordingly. However, I find it strange that a dog who supposedly has no house manners and isn't house trained catches on that quick. He comes, sits & stays. He marked a couple times at dinner time but has not peed or pooped in the house. The cats hang out with him. My cats hate Mac. He no longer flinches when we pet him. Well he closed his eyes, flinched and backed away from a neighbor Saturday. Not sure why. Maybe the guy reminded him of his previous owner. So far this dog is so awesome.

#83 ·
I am so glad to hear Bart is fitting in so well. He is a good boy and so is Mac for allowing him to share his mom & dad!

#84 ·
yay for bart and you and mac and your whole family!!! i see you've got your priorities straight when it comes to sleeping arrangements, lolol...

#86 ·
Bart keeps marking in the house after meals. I feed them in different rooms and keep them apart until a few minutes after they are both finished. And I watch Bart for several more minutes. I'm not sure how to stop it.

#87 ·
I don't know if it's a learned behavior - but Hondo always marks after he eats. I sit out on the porch with him while he eats and as soon as he is done, he goes and marks. Then he'll come back to see if he left anything in his bowl.

If for some reason I feed him in the house, after he is finished eating, he'll go straight to the door.

I don't know if it's a habit for him now - and although he doesn't mark in the house, I'm not positive that he wouldn't if I didn't allow him to go back out when he was finished eating.

#88 ·
That's interesting. Does he get a chance to go before he eats? I guess I would do one of three things: feed him in his crate, feed him outside, take him out immediately after he finishes eating and praise real good

At this point, I don't think it has anything to do with Mac. What is he marking? Same spot or where ever?

#89 ·
Lilie & Jame - Thanks for the input. Interesting...

I take the boys out to go pottie often but not necessarily before meals. I guess I didn't think of it as going pottie because he lifts his leg when he marks but does not when he pees.

I am embarrassed to admit that the reason I don't feed him in his crate is because he doesn't like it in there...and because of what he's been through I have a hard time forcing him to do things. I know I know that makes me a poor owner/parent...and I'm working on being less of a wimp.

Thanks for the advice...I'll take it :)

#91 ·
Feeding him in it will help with positive associations with the crate. You don't even have to close the door for now.

You'll figure it out. :)
Unlike Mac, Bart won't stay in the crate unless the door is closed. I put the food bowl in the crate and Bart eats it from outside of the crate. Starting tonight I am going to push him in the crate. I've just been too wimpy.

You're right I will figure it out :) I am starting to feel myself failing Bart because as he's becoming more comfortable he's starting to challenge me. And I just feel so sorry for him that I'm letting him.

#92 ·
No more whimpy! I wish I could remember the exact words to that garbage bag commerical where they say "Whimpy, Whimpy, Whimpy!"

Sorta loses the punch when you can't remember the punch line.....

......hmmmm where are my keys?...

#93 ·
If I had a nickel for every time I was given good advice and didn't take it ... I'd be rich :)

Bart now eats all of his meals in his crate or outside. Not only has he stopped marking but now he doesn't mind going in his crate. Win Win

I cannot tell you all how much your advice helps...even if I have to learn the hard way to take it :)

#95 ·
Holy crap. The boys scared the heck out of me just now. After we came in from outside for pottie breaks I started lunch. They got into their first all out brawl...growling, teeth, claws. I was shocked and getting in the middle didn't seem safe for me. I thought about grabbing a beer :) but instead I yelled "crate" and thankfully they both ran to their crates. Deep sigh...

#96 ·
I'm not an idiot, when Bart came home I anticipated the possibility of fights. And together my husband and I have diffused a couple potential issues. But today, standing in my kitchen with a 90lb GSD and a 70 lb GSD/Mix fighting...I felt a bit vulnerable.

#97 ·
I would feel vulnerable too Carrie! We've had fights here with all three of ours, plus a fostered doberman. Mine don't listen anywhere near as well as yours do! All I could think was "well if I'm going to be bitten, at least it will be one of my own"

#98 ·
I would feel vulnerable too Carrie! We've had fights here with all three of ours, plus a fostered doberman. Mine don't listen anywhere near as well as yours do! All I could think was "well if I'm going to be bitten, at least it will be one of my own"
Thanks, you're always wise and supportive, Jax08. It happened quick but one of my thoughts was "if I get hurt who's gonna drive the boys to the ER?"

Luckily none of us were bleeding.

#100 ·
Carrie, our girls all ganged up on a fostered doberman. He started it and our pack mentality kicked in so it was 3 against 1. I reached into the fray and grabbed a foot. Luckily, it was his foot! His attitude was like "what took you so long" I never had a scratch on me. And as many issues as we've had between Sierra and Jax, we've never been harmed. I think that they know when it's us, unless it's a downright nasty fight which we've also had once and luckily DH was there. 99.9% of the time, as soon as I touch Jax she stops.

Throwing a sheet over Sierra and Jax one day stopped Sierra's advancement in her tracks. Having an unstable dog in the pack is tiring and keeps you on your toes. It also affects the stable dogs, i.e. Jax, and causes issues.

I don't think that's your case but just watch for any triggers (bones, close quarters, etc) to see if you can nip it in the bud. :)

#102 ·
Carrie, our girls all ganged up on a fostered doberman. He started it and our pack mentality kicked in so it was 3 against 1. I reached into the fray and grabbed a foot. Luckily, it was his foot! His attitude was like "what took you so long" I never had a scratch on me. And as many issues as we've had between Sierra and Jax, we've never been harmed. I think that they know when it's us, unless it's a downright nasty fight which we've also had once and luckily DH was there. 99.9% of the time, as soon as I touch Jax she stops.

Throwing a sheet over Sierra and Jax one day stopped Sierra's advancement in her tracks. Having an unstable dog in the pack is tiring and keeps you on your toes. It also affects the stable dogs, i.e. Jax, and causes issues.

I don't think that's your case but just watch for any triggers (bones, close quarters, etc) to see if you can nip it in the bud. :)
As always you are very helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience and offering insight. I will watch for triggers. I think I've been so relaxed lately because the resource guarding has seemed to have subsided. Until today.

#105 ·
My first thought is always "Son of a ...." LOL I'm not smart enough to worry about getting bit!
I'm with you there Jax!

I think the first time I broke up a fight I just reacted. After having time to process what happened I thought what the h**l was I thinking?? :eek: But I still jump in......

For the longest time my dh would always blame the fosters as the "unbalanced dog" and that Schultz is just reacting to the dog. After breaking up one fight and pinning the foster and my Schultz was still trying to get the dog, I came to recognize that he is more often than not the root of the problem. When my husband saw it happen with his own eyes, it was just this look of dissappointment as if his kid came home with a detention. I think Schultz gets middle child syndrome when there is another dog in the home or something.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, just be careful to watch the body language of both of them. Because while your focus may be on Bart, Mac might be behind you making faces at Bart:blush:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.