German Shepherds Forum banner

Rescuing an adult GSD

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Stevenzachsmom 
#1 ·
I am considering adopting a adult GSD when by current old dog passes. I just got approved to volunteer at a local GSD rescue to get some experience with the breed. Getting a puppy is not an option due to my disability. I do have knowledge of handling working dogs as I have a Labrador as a service dog. This dog will be a pet and possible trial dog since I will stick with Labradors for service.

I know finding a GSD with a stable temperament in rescue is going to be tough but I have a lot of time to look and gain knowledge of the breed. Is there anything I should consider about getting a rescue GSD? Ways to gain knowledge of the breed?

I did talk to a local breeder of WL GSD and her dogs were pretty high drive and a bit intense. They were good about me being there but she did warn me not to pet one of them on the head. I don't think i could handle a dog with that much drive. Would probably need a medium drive dog. Don't think I could handle a dog that is very fear aggressive either. Those dogs need a very calm handler.

I am just looking for any advice from those that have rescued GSD. What should I know before getting one. Thanks

#3 ·
I don't think you'll have an issue finding a good GSD in rescue. Depending on where you live it may take a while or you might find one in know time at all. I think if you work with this breed rescue and really get a feel for the individual dogs that come through and the breed as a whole you will be fine. Plenty of good dogs end up in rescue for human related reasons: moving, new baby, death in family, etc.

My shepherdy mutt is a great dog :)

#4 ·
I don't know about picking dogs in rescue - my experience is with observing and picking a kennel and letting the breeder pick the dog - but I would say find a rescue group you can trust. I'd lean toward a breed-specific rescue.

Definitely look for one that is careful about placements (listens to you and what you want, tries for good matching). Look for one that is there for support/troubleshooting after the adoption and for one that has training contacts or resources.

#6 ·
That's why I asked for a location. Many of us have worked with, or know of reputable rescues that we can recommend. But, we need a location, as most rescues have restrictions on how far out they will adopt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.