Rejected by Rescue - AGAIN :( Why???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rejected by Rescue - AGAIN :( Why????

Well, today I got rejected again from a GSD rescue. Here is what they wrote:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our rescued shepherds.
We are aware of the unfortunately situation that happened with your foster dog from (rescue org) and someone he bit really badly during an adoption. As most of the shepherd rescues work together to a certain extend, and some volunteers work with more than one rescue, we often get details about things that happen.
Unfortunately we just don't feel comfortable placing one of our dogs with you at this time. There are countless amazing shepherds in all the shelters, hopefully you can adopt one and save a life.
I'm sorry to disappoint you.
You can read about my original story here:

Frustrated with GSD Rescue - SAD STORY :(

In the application, I put the following information, hiding nothing and asking them to contact me.

Quote:
What kind of dog are you looking for? * Easy going male, medium energy, larger size, healthy (that we know of), no known aggression issues, who will be a family member, accept our guests and love to play in the pool (maybe?) and at the beach - while being what a GSD is (loyal, highly trainable).

How many hours a day will the dog spend alone without humans and where? * 0-4

How do you plan on exercising your dog? How often? * Daily ball/toys and walk

Where will the dog sleep at night? * Inside - crate trained at first, perhaps (depending on dog), then run of the house

Why are you choosing a German Shepherd Dog? * I love them! They have a deep soul. With a sound temperament, they are wonderful companions, loyal, smart and brave. Fun, too.

What other dogs have you had in the past and what happened to them? *
Retrievers (3) - died of natural causes
Retriever - puppy raiser for service dog
GSD - foster (did not go well; please ask)

Are you willing to take your dog to obedience class? * Yes

What kind of obedience class would you take your dog to? * CGC

If your dog were injured or ill, are you willing to take him to the vet? * Absolutely! My dogs are insured.

Is there any reason why you would give up your dog? * No. Never.

How many dogs do you currently have? * 2

Please list the breeds, age and sex of the dog(s) you currently have and if they are spayed/neutered * GSD - currently a happy, well adjusted female (had her since puppy, not spayed yet)
English bulldog - happy, well adjusted male (neutered)
**current dogs are not dog aggressive, love visitors, accept other dogs into the house and are well socialized*
Why? So....I have to beat them to the shelter? If I'm such a horrible person, why would they suggest I do so?

I give money to rescue organizations. NO MORE. SORRY, you just LOST my support.

Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry your going through this. I remember reading your story awhile back. Even though I know sometimes things happen in and instant some people organizations stick together in their beliefs. I think its time for you to move on, and agree there are many good dogs in shelters that would love to have a good home. Not all german shepherds go to rescues. My gsd if I hadn't taken him in was going to go to a shelter as a puppy.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry! This is really unfair.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like there's more to their perception of the story -- whether right or wrong, there's some other version of it that's likely circulating. It's common practice for rescues to suggest that denied applicants go to a shelter. They aren't saying you're terrible--just not a match for their adoption program (and the reason likely has to do with internal politics as between rescues than anything else). There are so many good, purebred-looking dogs whose only other option is euthanasia -- most rescues would rather see you go get one of those dogs than see you support a BYB on Craigslist, as the assumption is you are going to get a dog.

It's easy, easy, easy to "beat" rescues to great GSDs in So Cal -- you're in an area that's flooded with GSDs in shelter, and they don't pull all the great dogs because there just isn't capacity. Scores of GSDs die every month in your area for lack of rescue space. There's a Yahoo Group called "GSD West" that sends out lists of GSDs in shelters -- and there's always a long list of So Cal dogs.

Stop dwelling on whatever can't be fixed with your local rescues and go find yourself a great dog at a shelter -- there are plenty who are desperate. Here's a sampling of the So Cal dogs on the list that came through my digest yesterday:

Ca. Pasadena, Bobik, male, black and tan, 1Y

www.PetHarbor.com pet:PSDN.A345347

Carson shelter, Ca. Gardenia, Coco, female 2Y

www.PetHarbor.com pet:LACO1.A4731164
www.PetHarbor.com pet:LACO1.A4731164
Coco

Los Angeles County Animal Control - Carso
animalcare.lacounty.gov
216 West Victoria Street
Gardena, CA 90248
Voice: (310) 523-9566

CA. LA. CARSON, Rita, 4Y pb GSD

www.PetHarbor.com pet:LACO1.A4114320
Rita

CA LA WEST VALLEY, MIA 1Y, JUST A BABY

www.PetHarbor.com pet:LACT2.A1491197
Mia

West Valley Animal Care and Control Center
Los Angeles Animal Serivces | To promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of animals and people
20655 Plummer Street
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Voice: (888) 452-7381Fax: (818) 756-9111

CALA DOWNEY, OSO, SAD GUY, 2 YEARS, GSD MALE

Los Angeles County Animal Control - Downey
animalcare.lacounty.gov
11258 South Garfield Avenue
Downey, CA 90242
Voice: (562) 940-6898Fax: (562) 869-1777

www.PetHarbor.com pet:LACO.A4677833

7a

CA LA DOWNEY, MAKES MY HEART BREAK! MALE, 7 YEARS, WOW BROKEN HEARTED

www.PetHarbor.com pet:LACO.A4730966

Los Angeles County Animal Control - Downey
animalcare.lacounty.gov
11258 South Garfield Avenue
Downey, CA 90242
Voice: (562) 940-6898Fax: (562) 869-1777
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I probably would stop trying to go through a rescue. You have an unspayed female, lots of rescues will not place a dog if there is anything not altered in the home. And, it sounds like there is a clique where they have your number. Probably, it is their loss.

You have two dogs now, and one of them is a puppy. Instead of getting another dog, join a training club, try something new, like agility or nosework or flyball.

Don't give them a second thought (the rescue organizations), when your youngster is between 2 and 6 years, buy another GSD from a breeder.

There are many needs that dogs have. One of those needs are homes. But there are many other things that they need as well. Donating food and bleach to the local pound, volunteering to walk their dogs regularly, are a couple of ways that you can really help dogs in need.

Another thing that would really help dogs would be free training classes. I know, people ought to pay to take dogs to training. But once your bitch pup has reached trained excellence, offering a saturday morning obedience class to people who are struggling with their pups, could actually help dogs succeed in their homes. Personally, I think one of the reasons a good percentage of dogs get dumped is because no one has taught them some very basic obedience -- manners 101.

There are more ways to help dogs than rescuing individual dogs. You can transport dogs for people. You can possibly donate money to programs that help struggling dog owners meet veterinary needs for their dogs.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Stop dwelling on whatever can't be fixed with your local rescues and go find yourself a great dog at a shelter -- there are plenty who are desperate.
Yes, this is very good advice.

I read your other thread and it is tragic. Based on what you describe, I really don't know why you would be put on a "Do Not Adopt To" list. It may be as simple as the rescue not wanting to have any liability risk should such an event happen again with a dog they have placed with you. And, in saying that, I am NOT saying that the earlier event was in any way your fault! But, we live in a litigious society and sometimes there are unfair consequences to that.

Furthermore, it may very well be that the story of what happened has morphed as it has spread via word-of-mouth from group to group... If you are worried about that, and really want to adopt through a rescue vs. shelter, why not just call the rescue you want to adopt from and confront the issue head on? Why not lead with saying something like, yes, this happened to me and my foster dog and here is why I think it happened, and here is why something like this will never happen again, etc., etc. etc.

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 07-10-2014 at 09:25 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was turned down too by the GSD rescue because I had intact small dog of 12 years old and I was interested in a spayed female. So now I have a good breeder who is not so OCD and have a great dog. If you don't want to do shelters, search for a good pup or maybe a nice retired breeder dog.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

To clarify: I don't "need" another dog. I have a big heart and room in my life and home to help.

At this point, I want this story out there: rescue people who are so over zealous and judgmental that they won't even talk to people who are good dog parents and would rather believe rumors, than be professional and actually talk, are a BIG PROBLEM.

I'm angry - not for myself, but with this situation, so in principle.

I saved all my emails with the original rescue -- time and time again volunteers would contact me about adopting my foster, and my FIRST question was if they had read about his issues. No! They had not!

Numerous aggressive dogs at this rescue had fluffy bio's online, and were aggressive toward handlers at adoption events. But they kept trotting them out!

And I'm blacklisted? Read my story. I did almost everything right.

Absolutely absurd.

How sad.
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thinking that no one can take as good care of an animal as me is one of the signs of hoarding.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

maybe this is a sign you should just open your wallet and buy a dog.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.