German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue, Foster & Adoption Information (General) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/)
-   -   Military/police dog adoption (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/449570-military-police-dog-adoption.html)

nezzz 05-13-2014 04:54 AM

Military/police dog adoption

My friend is a dog handler for the army and he's told me they are having an adoption drive for some retired dogs. Anyone adopted one before and how are they as pets?? Are they high drive like most working line dogs??

I'm considering bringing one home but I also have a 4.5 month working line pup at home now. Do military dogs play well with pups??

FYI I've adopted GSDs before. Just not high drive military dogs that I've not personally trained before so I am not sure what to expect. Should they be worked like other working line dogs too??

TommyB681 05-13-2014 05:39 AM

I have read where people have past MWD in their homes with other animals without conflict. Differnt dogs have different personalities. Those dogs obviously have high drives and you have to be able to keep up with that. They are bred to work so make sure that you are able to satisfy the dogs want to continue working because after all that is his purpose. Good luck

nezzz 05-13-2014 11:36 AM

My main concern is if they are handler sensitive. If they're trainable I guess I can fix most of the issues I mentioned. Most rescues and adopted dogs come from owners who hardly cared to train their dogs so its easier to train them since they're mostly blank slate. Do military or police dogs face this? Afterall they've trained and bonded with their handlers for years.

huntergreen 05-13-2014 01:42 PM

wonder why they are adopting them out when they seem so beneficial to our soldiers coming home with ptsd.

nezzz 05-13-2014 02:05 PM

And you think dogs don't get PTSD too? I've heard the rescue dogs searching for bodies during 9/11 had some form of PTSD due to seeing too much death around them. The same can be said of military and police dogs if they were exposed such.

HarleyTheGSD 05-13-2014 04:07 PM

I've seen a news clip in the past about military dogs with PTSD. Some were terrified of loud noises, some of certain objects. I, personally, think it's possible. But it doesn't mean that these dogs don't deserve a loving home.

huntergreen 05-14-2014 07:34 PM

i have never heard of ptsd in dogs.

Nigel 05-14-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 5519066)

I've heard of it, think they covered it in one of the "Alpha dog" episodes. A mal had become adversely affected by explosions, think they ended up retiring him?? Not sure, but it happens.

blackshep 05-15-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 5519066)

It definitely happens

David Winners 05-15-2014 02:57 PM

Most military dogs have been on many different handlers. They are used to learning new people. If you have some experience with WL dogs, you should be fine. There are a few things to consider if you have another dog in the home. Same sex aggression is always something to consider with adult dogs, and some MIL dogs get into fence fighting in the kennels, which can lead to some possible DA issues.

The adoption coordinator will have some background information about the particular dog you are interested in, and may also have contact information for the dog's current handler. MWDs are as different as any other group of dogs in personality. They are going to have some drive for sure, but many that are getting adopted out are older.

As far as why they get adopted out, there are many reasons, but it is usually when the dog can no longer do the work, due to injury, age or PTSD.

Thanks for sharing this information. I hope these retiring dogs can go to appropriate homes where they can thrive through interaction with understanding and knowledgeable owners. They have paid their debt to society and IMO, deserve the best retirement we can give them.