German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue, Foster & Adoption Information (General) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/)
-   -   Brokenhearted but in need of a rescue (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/437137-brokenhearted-but-need-rescue.html)

Minnieski 04-12-2014 11:15 AM

Brokenhearted but in need of a rescue

Hello everyone.

I am brokenhearted as I type this, but I feel like it's time to look into finding Tanner a new home. I would appreciate any advice on how to find a rescue in the Midwest (we live in Michigan, but I'll take him anywhere if it's the right place). He is Czech/West German, high prey-drive, excellent tracker, but despite trying several types of training over the years I just don't know how to work with his level of suspicion. I need help. I love him so much, and he is a very loving dog with those in his family, but I think he would do better with someone who knows how to handle him. Please, please help me find him the right place.

Julie

Mary Beth 04-12-2014 05:34 PM

GSD Rescue This is the Michigan GSD rescue. You may want to start by contacting them.

onyx'girl 04-12-2014 06:43 PM

Sorry you are dealing with the idea of rehoming him. This rescue may be of help(or know of someone that can deal with his type of temperament) https://www.facebook.com/SouthwestMi...Rescue?fref=ts
What part of the state are you in? I know of a couple trainers in the SE area that deal with this type often.

Susan_GSD_mom 04-12-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnieski (Post 5365025)
Hello everyone.

I am brokenhearted as I type this, but I feel like it's time to look into finding Tanner a new home. I would appreciate any advice on how to find a rescue in the Midwest (we live in Michigan, but I'll take him anywhere if it's the right place). He is Czech/West German, high prey-drive, excellent tracker, but despite trying several types of training over the years I just don't know how to work with his level of suspicion. I need help. I love him so much, and he is a very loving dog with those in his family, but I think he would do better with someone who knows how to handle him. Please, please help me find him the right place.

Julie

There is a small rescue in Bay City, I got my old Rosco through them. I know the woman who runs it, and she is particularly fond of GSDs. I would try Michigan GSD rescue first, but if you need me to, I will contact the woman I know.

Susan

Minnieski 04-14-2014 09:31 AM

Thank you all for your replies. After many tears and much panic on my part, we have decided to keep him. I am working hard to be a better dog momma; and I have been in contact with several trainers. We will see how things go. He can't go to just anyone, and even though it's a struggle I don't know if he will find the care he needs anywhere else. Thank you for your support and non-judgment.

Onyx I am in the mid-Michigan area - Saginaw, Bay City, etc. If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

LaRen616 04-14-2014 09:43 AM

I am so happy to hear that you are keeping him!!!! :)

onyx'girl 04-14-2014 09:47 AM

I'm glad you've decided to work with him.

If I were in your area I'd contact Pat Riley at Welcome He has a club in Waterford.

Bridget 04-14-2014 10:03 AM

I am glad for both of you too. Still, thank you for thinking of what is right for the dog.

Brando & Julietta's Dad 04-14-2014 01:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear you are having some difficulty. I honestly think keeping him and working with a professional trainer is your best option. You know his strengths and weaknesses and with the help of a professional I think a GSD with that background is capable of anything. I hope everything works out for you and keep your faith that this can work out.

Minnieski 04-14-2014 05:27 PM

Thank you for your kind comments. It is very hard for me to even think of giving him up, but whatever happens needs to be in HIS best interest. I hope that I am able to do the best thing for him.