German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue, Foster & Adoption Information (General) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/)
-   -   should i return my rescue? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/424762-should-i-return-my-rescue.html)

TriadGSD 03-15-2014 04:28 PM

should i return my rescue?

hi i need some advice last november i adopted a black female gsd i had some issues with her .http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-shepherd.html

i found out why they were fighting it was because she had something in her mouth and my male got too close. anyways fast forward a few months they gotten along fine . but a few weeks ago i had them both out on the least coming back from the garage i had a bag of dog food in my hand i got up to the door and was opening it when two little girls were walking home(other side of the street) from being dropped off the school bus. one little girl made a loud noise and my female heard it and lunged toward them . so i put down the dog food to get a stronger hold of the leash she lunged again the leashed sliped from my hand and off she went running across the street and jumped up and bit the girl on the hand.

so i got a hold of the dog and took her back in my house and went over to the girls house to explain what happened. the mother and grandmother just asked if she was current on their shots i told her yes and i have the paperwork if they wanted to see it. they said no and they believed me and that they were not going to do anything about it since i had her leashed. i was very very lucky. but now im thinking of returning her to the rescue but i feel that i cant because i feel like im abandoning her like her original owners did,i talked to a couple of behaviorist one said she was probably protecting me or her territory with the girl . but she said it is a fixable issue. i dont know what to do.:help::confused::(

HarleyTheGSD 03-15-2014 04:58 PM

If you truly feel that this dog is not right for you, then you should take her back.
Though, personally, I think you should keep her and get some professional help.
Of course this is completely your decision, but what if you take her back and she ends up in the wrong hands? Someone who ignores her issues.
Either way, I wish the best for you both.

Chip18 03-15-2014 05:13 PM

That should never never have happened! I would dump the behaviourist they are making excuse for the dog!

You need to get a trainer! The dog should not have gone beyond the yard! The dog should have stayed if you told it to and the dog should have come back when you called it!

Now the dog has a bite history not good and you did that!. Now you "know" this dog cannot be trusted around children!

A GSD is not a joke dog! I got my clock cleaned by mine! And I was an experienced dog owner that did real dogs! Even still I had to step up my game and turn his "issues" around. The only one that ever got bit was me (and my other Dominant Male dog) but my GSD issues did not involve outsiders!

I stepped up my game and today my guy is safe in public and I am very very proud of him. :)

So.."you" need to decide are you gonna "Run with the big Dawgs or Stay on the porch?"

RebelGSD 03-15-2014 05:16 PM

One thing is, if you return her with a bite history, the rescue may be forced to put her down. Liability insurances it seems won't cover dogs with a bite history, which is why most rescues won't take a dog that has a bite history. The other problem is, you know the dog and have a bond with her and don't want her. It is highly unlikely that a stranger is going to want a dog with a bite history. It is always better to return a dog before a bite happens - if there are problems.

glowingtoadfly 03-15-2014 05:28 PM

Did the bite break the skin?

TriadGSD 03-15-2014 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your imput im kinda upset about it because the rescue put in her description that she is good with kids thats why i got her because theres alot of kids that run around here in the summer and i have niece and nephews thats really young too.the other trainer i talked to said that she probably bit someone before he asked me if she drew blood i told him i not really sure but the mother has said so and he said if a dog bit someone the first time it wouldnt puncture the skin (but im not sure if thats true or not)

glowingtoadfly 03-15-2014 05:50 PM

Ask the mother how bad the bite was and to describe it. More information is always good so you know what you are working with.

selzer 03-15-2014 05:53 PM

I think the leerberg site has a bite-chart that suggests whether or not a dog that has bitten and to what extent that the dog can be worked with.

From what you posted, I think your dog is a good candidate to be worked with. It is awful that this happened. I don't know that it is the end of the world. But you have to be a LOT more careful with her, now that you know what she is capable of.

This was a fraidy dog when you got her. Has this been the case all along. Is it loud noises that make her afraid? What all makes her fearful.

A single bite on a hand, when you have a fearful dog -- I am guessing a fear-biter now. But, the thing is, she got loose from you, and fearful dogs, when they have the opportunity, generally run, when they are connected, flight is taken away, so they must fight. I don't know why the dog when it realized it was not connected, chose to confront and bite the child.

I don't like what your trainer said about it being protective. I don't think so. I do think this is fixable. Too much aggression is automatically attributed to fear, or protective/guarding, or dominance. It is extremely important that your dog is diagnosed properly so you can choose the best approach.

In the mean-time, don't carry a load of groceries and two dogs' leashes into your house. Leave the dog in the car, and take the groceries in, and then come back for the dog or vice-versa. Too many people try to do too many things at once. If I see someone with a couple of dogs and a passel of children, no way am I going to stop and try to pet the dogs, or talk to the person. No way. The person is over-loaded and doesn't know it. If one of those dogs chose to do its own thing, what would she do?

This is something about the management that you now have to consider. Your dog, whether this was a response due to something it was afraid of, or because it wanted to stop the noise, or chase away the people that don't belong, doesn't matter, it will bite. And therefore, you don't have the luxury of dropping the lead or being in a situation where you have too much in your hands.

You've had this dog for several months. I think she is your problem now. I think that the rescue probably wouldn't work with her and find her a new home, because she bit a child, and there are so many dogs out there that need homes, that haven't. It is a liability issue for them.

I think you are probably going to need to work with a behaviorist/trainer to give your girl a chance. A 3 year old dog ought to be able to pick up basic obedience really fast. Doing that with her on her own, and then together with your other dog, will help build her confidence and trust in you.

glowingtoadfly 03-15-2014 06:04 PM

It could have been a prey driven moment for the dog. I agree with everything Selzer has written.

trcy 03-15-2014 06:45 PM

I don't understand how the leash sipped from the hand. Personally I would not take the dog back for my failings. Maybe it's not the best time to have two dogs out on a leash when the school bus is dropping kids off. The leash slipping I honestly don't get. Once the first lunge happens I'm going to know a second lunge will take place unless I had the dog under complete control. I would have been ready for the second lunge.

Carrying a bag of dog food in while having two dogs on a leash....why? Unless it's a 5 pound bag the dogs will not be under complete control. I would keep the dog, but ensure I have complete control of the dog at all times.