Bonding with my resuce (moved to general rescue) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Bonding with my resuce (moved to general rescue)

Does any one have any tips on how to create a bond with a older rescue dog?
I feed him, leash walk him...i have read that they should look back at you during the walk but he does not..he does check up on me during off leash goes tho. I would like him to feel secure and happy. I worry that he may have lost that ability to truly bond bc of being bounced around. He is not very snuggly but that is probably just him, i snuggle him tho and he loves the tummy rubs.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Seems to me from what you said that he is doing great, and is secure and happy. He loves his tummy rubs and checks back on you when he is off leash. I don't know how long you have had him, but that is how my Sting is and I have had him from a puppy on.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

About a month! It feels like forever tho because he is quiet, picked up on routines quick and blends in well!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Since he's new to you, most of the bonding stuff we do with puppies would also be ideal for you...

Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Particularly if you are able to start up clicker training.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oddly enough tyson is fully clicker trained lol I need to get myself a clicker..so much he knows that I am learning about! I just worry about him and how he feels.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Enroll in a class!!! Doesn't matter what he knows or you know, it's about the experience of doing it together, having homework exercises you do together every night, milestones to set -- even it if it turns out to just be polishing what he knows, you'll get to work on your timing, and communicating with him.

I think great classes are incredible bonding opportunities!
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Enroll in a class!!! Doesn't matter what he knows or you know, it's about the experience of doing it together, having homework exercises you do together every night, milestones to set -- even it if it turns out to just be polishing what he knows, you'll get to work on your timing, and communicating with him.

I think great classes are incredible bonding opportunities!
I am totally looking forward to my class that starts in feb!!!! lol from what little i know, i do know that the lady who had him before loved his pants off and spent alot of time with him.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
I am totally looking forward to my class that starts in feb!!!! lol from what little i know, i do know that the lady who had him before loved his pants off and spent alot of time with him.
Ah, now I understand what may be concerning you,his "ex owner". Give him time to adjust to you. It has just been a month and he is on his best behavior with you. He is trying real hard to please you because he wants to stay. As time goes by and he begins to relax in his forever home, then his behavior may slip a bit - that will be a sign he has bonded And you will need the classes!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

She was very good to him and he would still be with her if it was not for his little accident, but he did spend alot of time in the pound before he landed with us, lol ..he is here for good! had a little speed bump with him though, and i had a shameful moment of "was he a good choice" but we got thru it and he is going to a trainer in feb. I actually foster for a rescue, he was at the pound a day away from being destroyed , they asked us if we could step up and take him for a short period of time while they worked on getting him into a perm foster home (they knew we had been booked to foster a cozumel puppy)..so, we had explained to the rescue that we could only take on 1 foster at a time which is fair, well Tyson did very well here and they had gone ahead and moved our little cozumel pup to a family that wanted to foster to adopt him @ this point he was still in mexico and his plane landed dec 8th. Well i offcourse just totally fell in love with tyson, and went ahead and adopted him myself.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm sorry. I cannot possibly give you any meaningful advice without pictures of the handsome boy.

Jelpy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.