So frustrated... please advise - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #41 (permalink)

She said she put him on fish oil and a "non grain" product. He was on antibiotics and steroids for the infection and now being treated for mange. He's a "family pet" in a "country home". I'm not sure what happened because that was the last e-mail I got from the new owner and it sounded like she had a plan but then I got called yesterday saying she wants to give him up.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #42 (permalink)

OK we've got an e-mail thread going with myself, the shelter foster, my friend (good friend of the deceased), and the woman who currently has him. She is hinting that he is being aggressive so I've asked her to elaborate on everything he has done since she's had him.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
OK we've got an e-mail thread going with myself, the shelter foster, my friend (good friend of the deceased), and the woman who currently has him. She is hinting that he is being aggressive so I've asked her to elaborate on everything he has done since she's had him.
This is good news. The more information you can get about the dog's behavior, the better you will be able to help the dog - even if that means making the very tough decision you mentioned earlier in the thread.

As you already know, any rescue or adopter would want more details about the type of dog aggression the dog has displayed - is it circumstantial, only with a certain type of dog, etc. And, very important to get a better understanding about the "no kids" part as well.

Based on what has been stated so far, I do think that dog can be placed. Since it sounds like the shelter has stepped aside, maybe it will be a lot easier for you to coordinate directly with an all-breed or breed rescue.

In any event, I think it is a great that you are sticking with trying to find the best outcome for your friend's dog. It does sound like quite a frustrating experience.

Fingers crossed for a happy outcome for all involved.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #44 (permalink)

Got more details on the dog. I don't think it's prudent to post everything here but the dog is showing aggression towards the owner/people in the household and other people. The shelter/foster person was included in the e-mail thread and she sounded very glum about his situation and chances at being adopted again.

Personally I think I could work with the dog (or someone like me) but I am not comfortable placing him based on the behavior the new owner is describing. Whether or not it can be rehabilitated is neither here nor there at this point. The shelter and rescue have their obligations and liability.

I have one person I believe should evaluate the dog but I have no idea if she would agree (she doesn't know me).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not saying that the dog is ok, but dogs can be very different in different environments. I rescued one that was sheduled to be euthanized, nipped the delivery guy in the rear, not serious. Owners said he was very protective in the home and they could not handle him. The dog had a cd and did obedience with the owner.
He was a foster failure and a wonderful dog, reserved though. I had zero problems with him. Never was aggressive and traveled everywhere with me. Everybody loved him,people would stop their cars in the street to admire him and say hello to us. He did not like large male dogs, but was good with females and little ones. It took him a long time to bond with me. He was looking for his first owner for months.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #46 (permalink)

Right, I'm not saying the dog is *not* OK, but the shelter does not have the resources to rehab a dog showing aggression (plus all the other stuff...that worries me more) and is not likely willing to re-adopt out a dog that is being aggressive towards it's owners and anyone that tries to come in. There were many other things going wrong as well (dog apparently has bad SA right now and cannot be crate because he destroys his way out, but is also showing the aggression when people try to enter the home...), but this is probably the one that puts the shelter in a tight spot since the adopter is obligated to return him there if she won't keep him and it's ultimately their decision.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor guy, he sounds terribly stressed out with no stability in his life. One way to deal with it is that the current owner places him into training into a different home with a training contract. That would not involve changing ownership. Most shelters would not insist on bringing the dog back if another home is found.
It is not unusual for a dog to lose his obedience at the shelter. Some won't obey commands until they have bonded somewhat in the new home. If there are funds fir the dog, maybe an in-home trainer would take him. There areva few nationwide that do this. There was one that rehabbed Alex that injured his foster in baltimore.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

Just got some VERY VERY disturbing news about this situation. I have no idea what to do for this dog. Might have to take this to PM if anyone else is interested....
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #49 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Feel free if you think I could help (or commiserate).
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can PM me too, not sure how much I can help, but maybe there is something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.