Micro Chip Question - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

To me it is disturbing that the microchip company lists the rescue as owner of all dogs it places. The lifespan of these dogs is 15 years or more but the lifespan of a rescue organization is unknown. Locally, one of the GSD rescues went off the grid for over a year. Major change in personnel, perhaps but I really don't know why. They could not be contacted. Other rescues come and go. So what happens to dogs who get picked up and Avid doesn't have a current phone number for the rescue?

I understand that the rescue wants to keep its thumb on the dog and owner, but it really should give over complete ownership and responsibility to the adopting family.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could it be that the owner did not renew the registration with the company that the chip was registered with?
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
To me it is disturbing that the microchip company lists the rescue as owner of all dogs it places.
Who does that?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

FYI - they contacted a local breed rescue. All's well that ends well.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

One of the rescue groups that I work with registers all of the dogs that it takes in and chips to them - not to the adopting owner. I disagree, but I am not calling the shots. Their feeling is that the dog would be traced through the microchip to the rescue group and that owners move, divorce, give pets away, etc. By having the chip registered to the rescue group, they know that the dog came through the rescue group at one time.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Well that's just it - if the rescue BUYS the chip, the company will contact that rescue should no owner be able to be located - we don't keep our rescue name on the chip, but by default we are are shown as the purchaser of the chip.
It works just as well that way...not sure if people are aware of the difference though.

How the chip works:
1) We purchase microchip in a "lot" of 25 chips directly from the company, in our case, 24petwatch chips.

2)We register the chip TO the new owner when the dog is adopted. They are responsible for updating their info should they move or get a new phone number. THEIR info is the only info on the chip.

3) However, OUR info is on there as the organization that bought the chip. If we used vet clinic chips, the vet clinic that purchased the chip is shown as the purchaser, not us. Therefore it's preferable to us, to be shown as the agency/org. purchasing the chip.

4) if the dog is lost and scanned, and the owner's INFO is up to date, then the owner will be contacted.

5) if the owners INFO is not up to date, they'll contact us, as the purchaser of the lot of chips that chip came in. They'll ask if we have a record of who adopted the dog. Yes we do, in house and on the internet database in which we originally registered the chip.

6) IF we have a legal dispute - for instance, we had a family who wanted to rehome a Beagle but we told them they were not allowed to do that and they'd need to bring the dog back here - so they didn't do either. However, they'd violated their agreement in a few different ways, and we suspected they were going to give the dog to someone else, so we put a "flag" on the chip that the pet had been stolen (which is the only way a "flag" will stick) and was not to be registered to anyone else. That is, if the people did give the dog away, and the new owner tried to register, we'd be notified.

Anyway it turned out that the dog got loose one day and someone found him and took him to the vet to scan him. The vet scanned and called and we were notified, whereupon we reclaimed the dog and got him back into rescue and into a new home.

So to us, it's an advantage to show on there as the purchaser of the chip. We don't need to remain on the chip as owner or co-owner of the dog, because either way, we'll be contacted.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know if all agencies do the same thing, but I do know that the local animal shelter does. The rescue we get our feral barn cats from takes the cats to the Humane Society and has them vetted. They are chipped by the HS. When we adopt the feral cats my information updated on the chip. If the cats get picked up, I'd be notified as well as the HS who in turn notifies the rescue that we got the cat from. Not only do they want to know the cat is back in the system, but they want to know the information regarding the location the cat was found. I suspect to see if it's attempting to return to it's original colony.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.