Required Fencing - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

I understand that rescues have rules for a reason based on experiences they have probably had in the past. I do think they need to look at individuals, however, and not have blanket 'no exception ever' policy. I can only assume that this particular rescue also doesn't allow for apartment dweller adoption, since they wouldn't have a fence at all! It does get a little off-putting. They have several dogs and have a local kill shelter that seems to have a large intake of dogs every day (of all shapes and sizes). Being too prohibitively selective means that there is less room to pull some of these poor babies (I decided to look at the shelter directly and teared up at one of the GSDs I saw there .. it looked so terrified).

Another rescue I looked at doesn't adopt to homes with cats or small dogs and, of course, I have one of each! That's a bit sad as many of those rescued dogs probably grew up around both or, if puppies, could be taught how to be respectful.

Sometimes it seems easier to just wait for an older puppy from a breeder, less of a headache and less hoops to jump through.
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

In my area, rescues are really nitpicky. Years ago (before I really got into GSD's) I looked into adopting a dog for agility. I found an awesome BC/basenji mix that I fell in love with - I still remember her name was Pepsi, but was turned down because she "didn't like other dogs," and I already had one. They weren't even willing to give it a try. The dog I had at the time (a newfie) was very easygoing and wouldn't have caused any problems. Other rescues turned me down because my yard was not fenced. They never checked any of my references, either, they just instantly shot me down.

After several disappointments I just gave up and have gone the breeder route ever since.

I did rescue a cat a few years ago - at least that was painless! But he was a blind elderly guy, so maybe that had something to do with it! LOL

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

phgsd is right, the rescues in this area are crazy .. they have high demands, and wont make any exceptions- they would rather the dogs languish in a kennel then in a home. i was turned down by numerous rescues when i had my house with a fenced in yard because my fence was 5ft chain link. they didnt care that i never would let a dog outside alone, they didnt budge. betweeen that and the fact that i worked , denied.... i then went to a shelter and adopted a 6/12 year old rotti mix. i have been denied due to not high enough fence, the fact i work for a living, then denied because i had a rott and gsd , then denied because i lived in an apartment with no fenced in yard..(my dogs get walked 4 times a day plus hikes on weekends) none of the rescues checked my 3 vet references nor my 5 personal references, nor the 3 training schools i had taken my other dogs too.. so i decided from now on to do either craigslist, shelter, or breeder route..

rescues either are too lax or too strict, there is no inbetween up here...
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Please don't lump all of the rescues together under a couple of generalizations. VGSR has tried very hard to hit a good "medium" between too strict and too lax.

We do require references and a home visit, but if we have the right dog and the right owner, we are willing to put dogs in a condo or apartment. We sometimes will have a fencing requirement for a particular dog, but that is generally not the case.

We process our applications on a case by case basis and really try hard to get the right dog adopted out to the right person or family.

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue
www.shepherdrescue.org
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Please don't lump all of the rescues together under a couple of generalizations. VGSR has tried very hard to hit a good "medium" between too strict and too lax.

We do require references and a home visit, but if we have the right dog and the right owner, we are willing to put dogs in a condo or apartment. We sometimes will have a fencing requirement for a particular dog, but that is generally not the case.

We process our applications on a case by case basis and really try hard to get the right dog adopted out to the right person or family.
Exactly this for most rescues I know of, with the ones that have the most issues being on the lax side.

The reason any of this is needed is that someone, at some point in most of these dogs' live, has already failed them. So perhaps the disappointment with the humans should not fall on the people who are investing their time and love on the dog. Or people could go to shelters and try that route. Or people could find a rescue to foster for and do it once before judging. All I know is that the breeders I respect on this site also have requirements for their puppy buyers, and people who do not meet them.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
THIS!

In our own rescue, I like to see fences (if a homeowner) and yes, we got burnt by adopting dogs to people with toddlers.
So we like "over 8yrs. of age" on kids, and fenced yards if you own your own house.
Yet tomorrow, we'll be adopting a little dog to a home with a 3-4 yr. old toddler and no fence.

To the OP, do you know if the 6' fence is a strict requirement yet, or have you contacted them? If a good owner was to contact us and say "our fence is 4'" or whatever, I'd still look at the overall picture.

We had a woman apply a while back with a fenced yard and all but amazingly her kids leave gates open and their last few dogs had been ran over when that happened. Fenced yard or not, they hadn't addressed that issue so we didn't give them a dog

So, basically, as a rescue, we look at the entire picture. If your last few dogs lived to a ripe old age of 15 with no fence, you're more likely to get a dog from us than if you don't have a fence and the last few dogs were run over when a gate was left open, or stolen while you were at work and left the dog out all day.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Exactly this for most rescues I know of, with the ones that have the most issues being on the lax side.

The reason any of this is needed is that someone, at some point in most of these dogs' live, has already failed them. So perhaps the disappointment with the humans should not fall on the people who are investing their time and love on the dog. Or people could go to shelters and try that route. Or people could find a rescue to foster for and do it once before judging. All I know is that the breeders I respect on this site also have requirements for their puppy buyers, and people who do not meet them.

Exactly! And when you rescue a dog from a situation where it lived it's entire life in the backyard, starving to death and can barely walk due to starvation and injuries, you're a little "invested" in that dog and want to make sure it goes to the best home possible.

You wouldn't be happy with a breeder who gave their dogs away to the 1st person to hand them some cash, without some sort of "application" process, so why knock rescues (who know these dogs have seen the worst life has to offer them), for wanting the best placement possible??
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

I certainly don't knock them. They have a right to their rules. I just think it can be intimidating to even consider trying to 'change their mind' when I don't fit their perfect adopter mold, and since I'm a rule girl, don't feel like I should TRY to convince them to change just for me! Rules is rules!

Maybe that just means I don't have enough boldness or determination, since apparently this rule works for them and their rescue. I was just curious as to how common a 6 ft fence was in other rescues as I'm not sure I had seen others even mention a height, just that a yard be fenced (if you had one).
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I certainly don't knock them.
I didn't really mean you
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default Required Fencing

I did a home visit for our rescue for a family with an e-fence. Our rescue says they don't adopt to people without a physical fence, but I don't think they would have gotten past the application, vet check, phone interview, and on to the home visit if the rescue refuses to consider them. They were a lovely, extremely outdoorsy, active family with a sweet Newfoundland/St. Bernard mix who was obviously part of their family. They also had GSD experience, had fostered GSDs before, and had a really nice set up with their fence that allows their dog go from house to front or back yard where she can always be with the family. I put all that in my report and I hope they are allowed to adopt. Our rescue seems to be pretty flexible about evaluating on a case by case basis.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.