Required Fencing - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Talk to the people at the rescue, you will likely find that once they get to know you they will adopt a dog to you.

As someone who has fostered for rescues - and thus had the final word as to where to dog goes - I value getting to know the person.

To me, it has nothing to do with fence height, etc... but everything to do with their mindset about pets, how they have provided for past pets, if there are potential problems with existing pets.

I used to think that everyone would automatically commit to a dog they adopted. My experience has taught me that was a very naive assumption. I try not to let that contaminate my view of future applicants. So far, it hasn't. But, I have learned that the predictors of a successful adoption have nothing to do with whether there is a yard, fence, etc... it has to do with the mindset people have about dogs. That is why, for me, the most important thing is getting to know the person for who he/she is.

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 01-22-2013 at 11:15 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
Talk to the people at the rescue, you will likely find that once they get to know you they will adopt a dog to you.
After filling out and sending the application for this female I got an email that it was denied and when I wrote back politely I got back that there were no exceptions. Reasoning was impossible. They didn't even care that I was a trainer with good references.
I will stick with pups from WDs breeder in the future, no exceptions
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
After filling out and sending the application for this female I got an email that it was denied and when I wrote back politely I got back that there were no exceptions. Reasoning was impossible. They didn't even care that I was a trainer with good references.
I will stick with pups from WDs breeder in the future, no exceptions
Same here. After I was told that my dog was guarenteed to 'maim and maul' the dog I was trying to adopt because he was unaltered and all white shepherds were 'brain damaged and untrainable', I politely said thank you and decided to deal in breeders. If a dog that matches what I want wanders through the rescue, she's all mine, but I won't be seeking any out for a pup.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah some of the "trials" we'd been through with rescues when we were seriously looking to add another furbaby to the family... I gave up. We have cats and dogs. The dogs are primarily inside dogs and have no problems with it. We can play in the house and be goofy and we still go outside and train and walk/jog and they get time to be silly outside. Though despite having vet records for all our animals and they're well taken care of and have clearly been with us since they were babies, we were still denied because we're a military family. Its frustrating when they wont budge for those who are clearly able and dont follow the typical "we're moving to a new station, dumb the animals. We'll just get more at the next station". I'm sticking with breeders.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

they're looking out for the dogs safety. dogs aren't children
but you have to take care of them in a lot of ways the
same way you would take care of children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I never understood why GSD Rescues always ask that question along with several other questionable questions. For a couple of the rescues I contacted I thought I was being interrogated by a police detective.

I understand them wanting to be careful to whom they allow adoptions, but I'm not adopting a child for Christ sake, and this ain't my first visit to the GSD rodeo.

I slightly turned the tables on the last rescue I contacted when they started in on me and I started interviewing them.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

speak with your Rescue about what's exceptable.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Assuming that no one can take such good care as the resucue itself, smells like a (light?) case of hoarding.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Assuming that no one can take such good care as the resucue itself...
I think it all boils down to supply and demand. If a breed rescue is in an area where there are a lot of families wanting that breed, the rescue can get away with making a lot of demands. Good for the dogs, I guess because the approved homes should be absolutely perfect.

GSD's are a popular breed so there are a lot of them in breed rescue. Try to pry a collie or sheltie or less popular breed away from a breed rescue.

Organizations that rescue all dogs, not just purebreds, are far less stringent in their demands.

I think the fence thing is a little overrated. Look how many hundreds of thousands of dogs live in big cities where you couldn't find a fence to save your life. The dogs do well enough in apartments getting walked on leash and going to dog parks. Fences are great for preventing a dash across a street after the neighbors cat but owners use the fence as a long term babysitter. A dog left outside, unsupervised can get over, under, around almost any fence.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
...I think the fence thing is a little overrated. Look how many hundreds of thousands of dogs live in big cities where you couldn't find a fence to save your life. The dogs do well enough in apartments getting walked on leash and going to dog parks. Fences are great for preventing a dash across a street after the neighbors cat but owners use the fence as a long term babysitter. A dog left outside, unsupervised can get over, under, around almost any fence.
This!

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some rescues require fencing and others do not. They all differ. I would still contact the rescue that has the 6' requirement. They might take a look at your set up and think it's fine. Personally, 6' is a bit crazy. I can see 5', which is common height.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.