Iíve given up on trying to rescue a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Iíve given up on trying to rescue a GSD

For over a year now I have surfed the Web trying to find a male GSD or even a nice Mix to adopt. In that timeÖI have had three attempts that ended disappointly and one somewhat bizarre experience. I also talked to a memebr here about rehoming their K-9 but my girlfriend over ruled it because of the distance involved...in case it didn't work out.

Recently, I reached out to a expert for some insight and never received a response. That wasÖas the saying goes the straw that broke the camels back since I wanted to privately discuss what had happened and ask was it all normal in the rescue world or was it me.

As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.

Any feed back on this appericated.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Foster?!? Fail?!? Rescue?!?

There are a lot of organizations willing to work with you to find a good fit for your lifestyle. And fostering would ensure the fit is good in your home...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

don't get discouraged. You can do a lot of good for a dog that my not have a chance otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I am not againt breeding. I think each situation is unique and there is a place for both rescues and breeders. I am not sure what went 'wrong' in your attempts to rescue a dog. It sounds like you may have a uniqe situaion and are trying your best to get a good fit for all 4-legged and 2-legged members involved. There are services available to help you find the best fit for you. PM me if you would like more info.
kchapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

that is so hard to understand with so many GSDs constantly showing up on email, facebook etc needing homes.....even in shelters which have so many pits, GSDs still show up....

If you are of a mind to do a rescue, then keep looking, even those wanting to buy a pup often look at many many litters before buying

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Have you applied to rescues? Visited local shelters? Looked on Petfinder? I'm assuming you have but your post makes it seem like you have only contacted two people?

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

there's no distance to far to drive for a good dog.
the long drive may save you a long haul.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you thought about getting involved with a rescue? Fostering a dog is wonderful, but your time is also valuable. These places are busy and all over the place trying to save dogs, place them, etc. If you get involved and they know you, it might be easier to adopt or foster through them. And I agree with Doggiedad, I don't think distance should matter. You can't go into owning a dog(any dog) with the thoughts "what if it don't work" because usually it wont, because the negative is already there.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are in the Smoky Mountains then you are anywhere in North Carolina and Tennessee. There are multiple German Shepherds in kill shelters all over that area. And I've seen some very nice ones going into rescues in that area and surrounding states.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here's a boy in Mississippi. How far is that from you?

And I agree with llombardo. While you should not be blind to the possibility of it not working out, you should go into it with the attitude that you can make it work and are willing to get training if necessary.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Packman View Post
For over a year now I have surfed the Web trying to find a male GSD or even a nice Mix to adopt. In that timeÖI have had three attempts that ended disappointly and one somewhat bizarre experience. I also talked to a memebr here about rehoming their K-9 but my girlfriend over ruled it because of the distance involved...in case it didn't work out.

Recently, I reached out to a expert for some insight and never received a response. That wasÖas the saying goes the straw that broke the camels back since I wanted to privately discuss what had happened and ask was it all normal in the rescue world or was it me.

As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.

Any feed back on this appericated.
I had trouble at first finding a rescue. There are no GSD rescues in my area and I was frustrated trying to work long distance with California rescues. Our shelters are full of pit bulls and we almost never see a Shepherd. What I found worked for us was getting involved in an all breed rescue. They got to know me and I got to know them. Once they knew what I was looking for, when the right dog became available they got her to me. I made new friend and I now I get Shepherds needing homes posted on my facebook every day. If you have a local rescue you work with they can transfer dogs from one rescue to another and most of them have very good transport networks set up.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.