German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue, Foster & Adoption Information (General) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/)
-   -   I’ve given up on trying to rescue a GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/202330-i-ve-given-up-trying-rescue-gsd.html)

The Packman 01-13-2013 01:49 AM

I’ve given up on trying to rescue a GSD

For over a year now I have surfed the Web trying to find a male GSD or even a nice Mix to adopt. In that time…I have had three attempts that ended disappointly and one somewhat bizarre experience. I also talked to a memebr here about rehoming their K-9 but my girlfriend over ruled it because of the distance involved...in case it didn't work out.

Recently, I reached out to a expert for some insight and never received a response. That was…as the saying goes the straw that broke the camels back since I wanted to privately discuss what had happened and ask was it all normal in the rescue world or was it me.

As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.

Any feed back on this appericated.

Zeeva 01-13-2013 02:10 AM

Foster?!? Fail?!? Rescue?!?

There are a lot of organizations willing to work with you to find a good fit for your lifestyle. And fostering would ensure the fit is good in your home...

kchapman 01-13-2013 02:28 AM

don't get discouraged. You can do a lot of good for a dog that my not have a chance otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I am not againt breeding. I think each situation is unique and there is a place for both rescues and breeders. I am not sure what went 'wrong' in your attempts to rescue a dog. It sounds like you may have a uniqe situaion and are trying your best to get a good fit for all 4-legged and 2-legged members involved. There are services available to help you find the best fit for you. PM me if you would like more info.

wolfstraum 01-13-2013 07:51 AM

that is so hard to understand with so many GSDs constantly showing up on email, facebook etc needing homes.....even in shelters which have so many pits, GSDs still show up....

If you are of a mind to do a rescue, then keep looking, even those wanting to buy a pup often look at many many litters before buying

Lee

gsdraven 01-13-2013 07:56 AM

Have you applied to rescues? Visited local shelters? Looked on Petfinder? I'm assuming you have but your post makes it seem like you have only contacted two people?

doggiedad 01-13-2013 08:00 AM

there's no distance to far to drive for a good dog.
the long drive may save you a long haul.

llombardo 01-13-2013 09:24 AM

Have you thought about getting involved with a rescue? Fostering a dog is wonderful, but your time is also valuable. These places are busy and all over the place trying to save dogs, place them, etc. If you get involved and they know you, it might be easier to adopt or foster through them. And I agree with Doggiedad, I don't think distance should matter. You can't go into owning a dog(any dog) with the thoughts "what if it don't work" because usually it wont, because the negative is already there.

Jax08 01-13-2013 09:34 AM

If you are in the Smoky Mountains then you are anywhere in North Carolina and Tennessee. There are multiple German Shepherds in kill shelters all over that area. And I've seen some very nice ones going into rescues in that area and surrounding states.

Jax08 01-13-2013 10:02 AM

Here's a boy in Mississippi. How far is that from you?

And I agree with llombardo. While you should not be blind to the possibility of it not working out, you should go into it with the attitude that you can make it work and are willing to get training if necessary.

shepherdmom 01-13-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Packman (Post 2725226)
For over a year now I have surfed the Web trying to find a male GSD or even a nice Mix to adopt. In that time…I have had three attempts that ended disappointly and one somewhat bizarre experience. I also talked to a memebr here about rehoming their K-9 but my girlfriend over ruled it because of the distance involved...in case it didn't work out.

Recently, I reached out to a expert for some insight and never received a response. That was…as the saying goes the straw that broke the camels back since I wanted to privately discuss what had happened and ask was it all normal in the rescue world or was it me.

As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.

Any feed back on this appericated.

I had trouble at first finding a rescue. There are no GSD rescues in my area and I was frustrated trying to work long distance with California rescues. Our shelters are full of pit bulls and we almost never see a Shepherd. What I found worked for us was getting involved in an all breed rescue. They got to know me and I got to know them. Once they knew what I was looking for, when the right dog became available they got her to me. :) I made new friend and I now I get Shepherds needing homes posted on my facebook every day. If you have a local rescue you work with they can transfer dogs from one rescue to another and most of them have very good transport networks set up.