Iíve given up on trying to rescue a GSD - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
Elite Member

I actually sometimes find the sense of entitlement in prospective adopters baffling with my fosters -- I had at least 8 people who emailed and said they wanted the last pup I fostered because he was stinkin' adorable. Several sent emails to me like this one: "I saw him online. I want him. I can pick him up tonight after 7 PM. Text me your address." Uh, no.

OTOH, I love the people he went to --they raced to return the adoption app because they'd lost out on a pup like him at another rescue by dawdling, to drive over an hour to meet him that same weekend, and also invited me to do the home check ASAP to introduce me to their other dog. We sat on their patio and had a nice visit watching the dogs play. It was lovely. They never assumed this pup would be theirs, but they wanted to show me why they could give him a great home. And they did.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
Just curious, isn't it a good thing that they are saying it versus not saying it? I got shot down because I didn't have a fenced in yard. Should I have lied on it then? I swear I provided more information on those rescue applications than I did for a college application or my job resume. I think all they needed was my social security number to steal my identity.

I understand that rescues are doing the best that they can with the limited funds and times that are allotted to them but I don't think Trotter was knocking on rescues, just like not all potential adopters are irresponsible.
I don't approve or not approve adopters, I just help out with the dogs. They don't let me around people. Each rescue has different criteria. My own philosophy is to always be honest. If they don't like me for who I am too bad. I'll go somewhere else.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I actually sometimes find the sense of entitlement in prospective adopters baffling with my fosters -- I had at least 8 people who emailed and said they wanted the last pup I fostered because he was stinkin' adorable. Several sent emails to me like this one: "I saw him online. I want him. I can pick him up tonight after 7 PM. Text me your address." Uh, no.
I know. The ones who figure if the dog doesn't go THERE to THEIR house, the poor thing's going to be in a hellhole compared to their place? Oookay...but guess what? We happen to pick the best home for that dog, and maybe yours was not it
And the "call me, I want that dog". Circular file that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
OTOH, I love the people he went to --they raced to return the adoption app because they'd lost out on a pup like him at another rescue by dawdling, to drive over an hour to meet him that same weekend, and also invited me to do the home check ASAP to introduce me to their other dog. We sat on their patio and had a nice visit watching the dogs play. It was lovely. They never assumed this pup would be theirs, but they wanted to show me why they could give him a great home. And they did.
We adopted out a dog who'd been here 8 months yesterday. She's a double-dapple born without eyes and deaf.
The husband actually teared up when they met her. She will be spoiled and coddled and cherished her entire days...in a good/dog appropriate way, too!!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #54 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I know. The ones who figure if the dog doesn't go THERE to THEIR house, the poor thing's going to be in a hellhole compared to their place? Oookay...but guess what? We happen to pick the best home for that dog, and maybe yours was not it
Totally agree. I've seen that too sometimes in multiple-app situations -- esp. with wealthy people, who are upset they didn't get picked. I've placed some dogs in some very tony parts of town who now live pampered lives. Sometimes though the best home isn't in the ritziest subdivision. It's with someone who brings something special that "clicks" with that dog and its unique personality and needs.

My current foster is going to a GSD-experienced young man who works in food service. He's not wealthy. But you know what? When he met this dog, you could feel the ground shift beneath her. She went from being a little shy and subdued to being confident and having a purpose, the second he knelt down to say hello. I swear, the air crackled when he took her leash to walk her at the park. Her entire demeanor changed. It's like she had been waiting for him. I truly believe I saw a heart-dog bond being formed the instant they met. That's a sacred thing I've only witnessed a couple of times in rescue.

I have no doubt he will adore her and be fabulous for her. Will she get dog food that costs $60/bag? No. But she'll go on lots of camping trips with him, and he is an active guy whose entire life is centered around being outside with his dog. She will be happy and loved.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #55 (permalink)
AJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Let's not yet again rehash the age old rescue debate.

There are good rescues and bad rescues. There are good adopters and bad adopters. There are good breeders and bad breeders. Fortunately, there are also enough dogs and ways of obtaining dogs that everyone will find what works for them.
Sorry! Didn't realize it is an ongoing hot topic...my bad...Got it!
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
My current foster is going to a GSD-experienced young man who works in food service. He's not wealthy. But you know what? When he met this dog, you could feel the ground shift beneath her.
Isn't that awesome? It's not about the pocketbook, it's about the heart
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks eveyone for the bump. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to look at this, also put things on the back burner for now but I'll catch up on all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
What a nice bash-the-rescue thread this has become.
As usual you have to put your snide 2 cents in...so can you tell me what is a message board all about ?

Perhaps you missed my first post Iíve given up on trying to rescue a GSD but I was basically venting about the bad experiences I had with rescues and the fact I reached out by PM to a adoption expert for help and received no response. I PMd the adoption expert because I didn't want to go into detail publicly about some of the bad things had happen and wanted to ask if this stuff normal.

I have mention this before but I'm not sure who has read it. I am bi-polar, I am not psychotic in any way...just have my mental ups and downs but pretty much have a handle on it, thru hard work. Also I am sober 16 years and I care to believe it was thru the grace of God, which I don't push on anyone.

In my addiction I assaulted a Police Officer while I was out on bail for trying to pull a pistol on another Police Officer. By the time I was eighteen I fathered a child I've never seen, was shooting heroin and tryed to kill by firearm. In between those years I did alot of evil things and harmed alot of people. I have 2 DUIs and got out of 4 of them.

Now of days...I have a strait lace girlfriend who has a college degree, we own a home on 2.5 acres, I have a pickup truck and Harley that are both paid for and I do volunteer work at the local Senior Citizen Center. I don't lie, steal or cheat and do my best to follow the path Jesus Christ has laid out for me.

The reason I'm not dead or in jail is because I had a lot of caring people in my life that never gave up, even in my worse of times. Thats the reason I want to adopt a GSD that other wise would be put to sleep because he has been labeled to aggressive to adopt. I've made arrangements for a $40 a hour dog trainer who specializes in GSDs to help with the transition... which I can hardly afford but I'll spend it to Elly may a little brother.

None of the rescues knew any of this about me but did I tell you about the one in NC that wouldn't let me adopt a special needs GSD because I live in Tennessee. the rescue was about a 3 hour drive away which I offered to come and meet them. I also offer references, one...the Police Office who arrested me on the gun charge.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Let's not yet again rehash the age old rescue debate.

There are good rescues and bad rescues. There are good adopters and bad adopters. There are good breeders and bad breeders. Fortunately, there are also enough dogs and ways of obtaining dogs that everyone will find what works for them.
Perfect advice.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #59 (permalink)

Do you live near a fairly large city? I live in a town of about 200,000 and I have seen pure bred GSDs, Malinois, Rots, Dobes, Afgans, go through our county shelter. Shelters do not have strict requirements about who adopts and you won't be subject to anyone's whims. I just watched the shelter website everyday without fail. After a couple months of watching, a nice 8 month old GSD popped up and I adopted him Next came a nice sheltie and I adopted him So during the adoptions and in-person visits I made friends with the personnel at the shelter. They called me when a GSD/Mal cross was brought in. Just takes a little time but the dogs at a kill shelter really need the homes more than rescues do.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Packman View Post
Thanks eveyone for the bump. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to look at this, also put things on the back burner for now but I'll catch up on all of it.

As usual you have to put your snide 2 cents in...so can you tell me what is a message board all about ?

Perhaps you missed my first post Iíve given up on trying to rescue a GSD but I was basically venting about the bad experiences I had with rescues and the fact I reached out by PM to a adoption expert for help and received no response. I PMd the adoption expert because I didn't want to go into detail publicly about some of the bad things had happen and wanted to ask if this stuff normal.

I have mention this before but I'm not sure who has read it. I am bi-polar, I am not psychotic in any way...just have my mental ups and downs but pretty much have a handle on it, thru hard work. Also I am sober 16 years and I care to believe it was thru the grace of God, which I don't push on anyone.

In my addiction I assaulted a Police Officer while I was out on bail for trying to pull a pistol on another Police Officer. By the time I was eighteen I fathered a child I've never seen, was shooting heroin and tryed to kill by firearm. In between those years I did alot of evil things and harmed alot of people. I have 2 DUIs and got out of 4 of them.

Now of days...I have a strait lace girlfriend who has a college degree, we own a home on 2.5 acres, I have a pickup truck and Harley that are both paid for and I do volunteer work at the local Senior Citizen Center. I don't lie, steal or cheat and do my best to follow the path Jesus Christ has laid out for me.

The reason I'm not dead or in jail is because I had a lot of caring people in my life that never gave up, even in my worse of times. Thats the reason I want to adopt a GSD that other wise would be put to sleep because he has been labeled to aggressive to adopt. I've made arrangements for a $40 a hour dog trainer who specializes in GSDs to help with the transition... which I can hardly afford but I'll spend it to Elly may a little brother.

None of the rescues knew any of this about me but did I tell you about the one in NC that wouldn't let me adopt a special needs GSD because I live in Tennessee. the rescue was about a 3 hour drive away which I offered to come and meet them. I also offer references, one...the Police Office who arrested me on the gun charge.

Well msvette...I'd rather had kept all that to myself and maybe thats why the expert didn't respond to my PM but yeah I'm bashing rescues and thats why I started this thread.
Have nothing to add to the thread but think it is great to see you turned your life around and are passing on the kindness and caring that was afforded you to a rescue!!!!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.