Iíve given up on trying to rescue a GSD - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

it took me 2 years to find my gsd . i made sure i knew what i wanted and just looked over and over until i found the right dog... yes,some rescues are not good, and some are... you just have to weed thru them to find the right one, and yes, sometimes traveling a bit works out in the long run.. good luck with your search, with patience you will find what you want, and the rescue people here do a wonderful job finding homes for the dogs they post, so try to deal with them
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

I got both of my gsd under random and, fluke circumstances. It may sound silly but, I really believe the right dog will come at the right time. I got my first gsd during what seemed to be terrible timing but, ended up to be one of the greatest situations ever. If it hadn't happen like it did, he might not be alive today.
We had been talking about a puppy for a long time but, hadn't intended to start looking for another six months or so. I happen to come across a pure bred litter that the owner had not planned for. Luckily all the puppies were happy, healthy and, well taken care of. The owner simply wanted to cover the cost of their initial shots and, find them healthy homes. Because we were able to get a puppy without going through a puppy mill we went to see them and, found the little girl we were hoping for.
Keep searching and, don't give up. You'd be surprised how they change your life. Our rescue has made all the difference to us and, has been one of the biggest joys in our lives. Good luck! Post pics when you find your pup!
Fynn&Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

I rescued my lil guy from a local breeder. He was sick and 40lbs underweight. I had to take him home. He's been such a great guy. BUT before I looked into going through a rescue agency and found a couple of GSD I would have taken in a heartbeat. But the waiting periods were 3-5 months. I realize they have to research the homes to make sure they get forever homes. But I think more people would rescue dogs if they were available in a more reasonable period of time . IMO
I'm thinking of getting him a sister so I started looking to find a perfect match for him and us. May take awhile but this time it is what it is...
kingbaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Packman View Post
Thanks everyone for your post...I am going to give it another try and take up offers for help.

I kept my post vague because I didn't want to start getting into the specifics of things that happened publicly. I will say tho...after that really bazaar experience with the non 501, I am kind of leary. OK heres one thing...I don't want to give out personal information (application) to a total anonymous stranger I have no way of contacting other than by a website, unless I am sure it is a legit Rescue and I know I would be seriously considered.

Anyhow...I litterly spend a half hour to a hour every night (except when I'm not feeling well) looking at local GSD / Mal rescues (within about 100 miles) that I know of and pet finders.

I volunteer with a rescue from NYC, and can tell you that most rescues are 501c3. They will state that on their website and can search and verify. An application and home visit and reference check is always required regardless of who you are or what you want to give up. The rescues number 1 goal is to provide good homes for their dogs. I can say when you adopt from a shelter personally you still have to give them information and sign a contract. There are over 10 million dogs over the US being put down every year! Adopt/Foster and save a life today!
jeremy12095 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Packman View Post
For over a year now I have surfed the Web trying to find a male GSD or even a nice Mix to adopt. In that timeÖI have had three attempts that ended disappointly and one somewhat bizarre experience. I also talked to a memebr here about rehoming their K-9 but my girlfriend over ruled it because of the distance involved...in case it didn't work out.

Recently, I reached out to a expert for some insight and never received a response. That wasÖas the saying goes the straw that broke the camels back since I wanted to privately discuss what had happened and ask was it all normal in the rescue world or was it me.

As soon as I get caught up on my bills (which should be in a couple of month), I'm going to buy another GSD or Mal.

Any feed back on this appericated.

you have to remember 1 thing, most rescues are staffed by volunteers who also have day jobs. So they may take a while to respond to you. Your best bet would be to contact a local rescue or shelter and reach out to them. Depending on where you are they may be several.
jeremy12095 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had a lot of trouble when looking as well. I spent a good long while searching and sending out applications after applications. None of the rescues turned us down, but either they didn't get back to me, or they just never had a dog available that fit what we were looking for and when they did.... they blew us off on times to meet them. I sent out a lot of emails during this time, and called often. So if they missed THAT many attempts at contacting them.... they really really need to reorganize. I had a good home lined up, experience, and a trainer in place. You would think they would be thrilled. Out of 10 rescues contacted (this doesn't include individual rehomes, shelters, and petfinder ads) only 2 got back to me. One matched us to an awesome dog that I thought would fit... and then decided at the end she wanted to keep her instead, and the other just never fully went through with meet and greets.

It was extremely stressful and I ended up throwing in the towel. Just when I gave up all hope, a member on here mentioned about Duke being available for re-homing through his breeder. We fell in love with him and took him home.

The next GSD (Storm)... we purchased from a breeder. Which this was also done because I wanted to be more involved in the sports and needed a GSD bred for it. However, I'll be 100% honest, other then the humane society, or shelters.... I probably wont go through a rescue again. No offense to anyone here, but what a freaking headache. I'd understand if I was questionable.... like... lived in a studio apartment, no fence, no vet or trainer lined up, no experience, low income... etc. None of that is true, and I had NO problem giving them the $250-400 they were asking as an adoption fee. My dogs are spoiled rotten here.

Back when I used to volunteer and foster for rescues... I just don't remember it being so difficult for good homes to adopt. I understand the rescues have a lot on their plates, and can understand their side of it (I've been on that side too).... but, there are some rescues still out there that really need to learn to be organized and loosen up a bit. Many excellent homes are being passed by..... one dog out to those homes, is room for another to come in!

Anyway, I'd love to be confident in saying keep trying and don't give up.... but, at the same time I completely understand your frustration and didn't continue myself... so it would be silly for me to say something I can't stand behind. Maybe it's time to try stalking your local humane society.... they may not be as well evaluated, and may need some TLC, but I am sure some make their way in and it doesn't take too much to adopt from them. Lots of great dogs have come from those places.

Good luck on finding your next one.... whether they are rescued or purchased, I'm sure they'll have a wonderful home!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

I know in south florida you can call all the local shelters and, leave your info if you're looking for a specific breed. Anytime one comes in they'll give you a call and, let you know that there has been a new arrival. I don't know if thats true elsewhere but, it was great for a friend of mine who was searching for a Doberman. She got calls regularly and, finally found a dog that would fit perfectly with her family.
Fynn&Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Don't give up yet! There are so many beautiful dogs in shelters and in rescue groups who need good homes. We found our girl from Southeast German Shepherd Rescue and I highly recommend them. They are a great group of dedicated volunteers and they have beautiful shepherds. Their region also now spans through Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Please check out their site at Welcome.

Pyrrha & Eden
doggerel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Member

Dont give up! If your serious about adopting a rescue, there are plenty on here that would be eager to help. I found my girl and I don't know what I would do without her, no she wasn't the perfect dog for me at the time but I don't regret it at all... I mean look at her

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

It can feel like you will never get one but don't give up. After being approved for a dog, the rescue keeped blowing me off, busy and all. The dog I wanted to get was at paid boarding. Instead while waiting my great two yr old girl came along from a trainer who knew me personally and also ran a rescue. I got a great dog, but I did hope that the rescue got that other boy a home soon. They are out there don;t give up
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.