Reputable GSD rescues who pull from shelters in the South? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

WOW! This is all terrifically helpful!

If anyone thinks of any other rescues, please come back and post them. I'm trying to compile a list.

Thanks esp. for the Rescue Road Trips suggestion. They go right through Baton Rouge, so they are a potential pipeline to get our oversupply highly adoptable purebred dogs out of here, to safety.
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I can say though that you need to screen all rescues VERY carefully.

Some rescues don't pull locally because they can't - they are DNRs, or their reputation and practices are known and not appreciated by shelters that they have worked with. Another odd one is a rescue in a state/area that has a ton of PB dogs in need that are sitting in kill shelters while they pull from out of state.

There are "rescues" that pull dogs and flip them just like any person on Craiglist would. They rescue a large number of dogs a year compared to number of volunteers, they get them off a transport with only a health certificate and hand them over to unscreened adopters for a fee. Or they post their shelter picture on facebook, followers see it, and they do the adoption that way - without the screening time in a foster home, without vetting, without screening. If you read the behavior posts that say "Rescue dog...doing whatever" you will see some of the groups that do this. The concept of match is negated as well by these methods.

So these dogs may be getting out, but not necessarily to safety. Frying pan into the fire, so to speak. Maybe a corollary thread on how shelters should screen a rescue group might be good. There is already a sticky called "Do You Know Where That Dog is Going" that has some old (I stopped updating after a while - depressing) stories about shelters and other sending dogs to places unscreened.

While groups would love to get dogs out of shelters from a distance, I think like Rebel said, with the economy, there are so many local dogs that rescues are trying to address so that there needs to be a balance now that was not necessary years ago.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I suggest trying some all breed rescues too. Some rescues establish a good relationship with the shelter and just try to help Southern shelters to give the dogs a chance. Often these dogs have really nice temperaments, whereas local shelters are crowded with pit bull type mixes. Also, some shelters in the northeast are not good to work with.
I think it is important to try to establish a good long term working relationship with a rescue. Also, AKC at some pointbhad an active rescue section that helped fund heart worm treatments. It is a good idea to establish a good Facebook community that can raise funds to cover the extra cost for heartwood treatment and transport. I know several shelters in SC that are very successful in sending their dogs to NE rescues. They have local volunteers that temporarily foster dog's during HW treatment for example, which is much more costly or impossible in the North. In my area every rescue seems to be packed and having a hard time even with local dogs.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They aren't a myth. I get transports in my inbox several times a week from a couple coordinators who do it right with reputable rescues. We've done a lot for White Paws in particular, which doesn't just do white shepherds. I would assume that's their focus, but we've done quite a few transports for them for non white GSD's.

I'm not sure what you mean by "well funded" but the ones we have done are volunteer. There is occasionally donated money to help with gas costs if people can do the drive but not afford the gas. But generally it's on each drivers own dime. The ones coming from the south (seem to be a lot coming out of GA in particular for White paws) do a one day coming north, then overnight, then continue on the next day with more volunteers. Sometimes, if it's not a closed transport (such as puppies, or dogs coming straight from a shelter, unknown medical history, etc), a dog is picked up along the way and may or may not depart at the same rescue as the first one.

Last edited by Rerun; 12-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The SC shelters I work with usually use paid transports. The Facebook group helps with raising funds for transport costs. There are weekly paid transports available, which is great. Volunteer transports were hard to fill.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pilots an paws is also great with transports. It is important to have local volunteer support available. It is impossible to work with shelters that expect the distant rescue to beam out dogs from the shelter.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

there is a large rescue here in northern nj who pulls from down south every other week, they adopt out willy nilly and have a 50% return rate.. they have a huge following, and do big marketing and fundraisers to get adopters which works. if their screening process for dogs temperments and prospective owners got a **** of a lot better they wouldnt have such a high return rate.

and yes,some rescues up here are DNR up here due to unscrupulous rescue procedures .... be VERY careful who you deal with.

while most folks are fine with rescues coming from down south, some of us are not happy about it as it takes away homes for the dogs here in our own shelters that just sit here because the rescues play on the heartstick and gas chamber euthanizing... most of those adopters feel sorry for the dogs down south and will adopt them first and ignore the dogs in their own city shelters because the story isnt teary enough
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There may be iffy situations, but there are many great rescues that pull from the South or from distant shelters for various reasons. Unfortunately good things are rarely advertised, bad news spread quickly. To the OP - it is worth a shot trying to find someone.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you, Magwart, for all you are doing. I hope you have or will find a group of equally caring volunteers to support each other locally, too.

Re the Northeast, some things that have worked for others:

Building a relationship with one or a few rescue organizations in the Northeast seems to work best. As Jean said, you need to know that the rescue organization is one with good practices, no compromise. And the rescue organization needs to know that they are being sent dogs who are safe and who fit the profile of adoptable dogs in their areas.
Here is an example of a NE group that works successfully with one shelter in TN: http://www.pawsnewengland.com/about/

Behavioral evaluations and health checks need to be mutually agreed upon, e.g. SAFER or MatchUp II evaluators might want to be certified, or you know each other well and know how you evaluate, so that you are on the same page. More about these two behavioral evaluation protocols:
http://www.centerforshelterdogs.org/...MatchUpII.aspx
http://www.aspcapro.org/aspca-safer.php
Another common test protocol is http://www.suesternberg.com/00assess.html but I don't think Sternberg certifies testers.

More to come

Last edited by RunShepherdRun; 12-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.
RunShepherdRun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Re transports and health requirements for transport:

I personally prefer the paid transports b/c they seem less stressful to the dogs, they are less risky (dogs have been lost in volunteer transports). In the volunteer transports, the dogs have to switch drivers and vehicles every hour, with the drivers being handlers of varying skills. In terms of cost, the paid transports seem more efficient. If every volunteer driver would donate their gas money to the rescue, the rescue could pay the paid transport and then some. But people disagree on that, and some rescue organizations do well by bringing the dogs up with volunteer drivers.

The good paid transporters require that the dogs have been out of the shelters for at least 2 weeks prior to transport to reduce the risk of disease. They also need a health certificate, need to be s/n, fully vaccinated, and parasite free.

This means, the shelter in the South needs foster homes where the dogs can stay for at least two weeks. Or have enough funds to board at a vet's or a boarding kennel with good sanitary practices.

* As others mentioned, Rescue Road Trips drives from LA via VA to the Northeast: http://www.rescueroadtrips.com/Schedule_%26_Rates.html
I am not aware of a paid transport going from LA to MI or WI, but that is not my area, so I don't know.

The volunteer pilots of PilotNPaws fly with small airplanes that typically have a reach of about 300 miles, so longer trips have to be done in legs. I flew on one such leg as a handler and the aircraft was too small for a 36x24 crate to fit in, we had to put the dog on the rear bench. Other planes are larger and can fit two large crates. Last I checked, PNP did not have health requirements, it's up to the individual pilots whom they want to fly, just like volunteer ground transport.

More to come

Last edited by RunShepherdRun; 12-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.
RunShepherdRun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.