Comparison between raw diet and kibble - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

raw bird bones are fine, only cooked ones are dangerous. even better if the raw bones are covered with meat

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau
Dante (Dumpty) ze Stribrneho kamene (9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)
Animal Aid Egypt
nitemares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

@nitemares But a someone's dog who I know died by eating a raw turkey neck almost 2 years ago. I would NEVER give dogs raw bird bones even cooked too risky and deadly. Better safe than sorry ALWAYS. Raw bones from cow, deer, more other thats NOT raw bird bones are NOT deadly.
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
@nitemares But a someone's dog who I know died by eating a raw turkey neck almost 2 years ago. I would NEVER give dogs raw bird bones even cooked too risky and deadly. Better safe than sorry ALWAYS. Raw bones from cow, deer, more other thats NOT raw bird bones are NOT deadly.
Oh where to start on this......

Depending on what part of the animal, raw cow or deer bones can be FAR FAR more dangerous than raw bird bones.

I've been feeding multiple GSDs raw diets since 1993. I didn't start out giving them whole raw chicken, but chicken has been a large part of their diets for a very long time. No problems here! One of my GSDs is 14 years 9 months and still eats raw meaty bones every day, tho at this stage I do have to make sure the pieces aren't too big for her.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Please do some research like all of us raw feeders do. Raw "bird bones" are fine. All our dogs are fine on these.....but NEVER cook them. They become brittle at that point. My GSD loves raw turkey/chicken necks. Eats them without incident.
4score is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

@Lobobear44 plz research raw food before making such assumption, non bird bones are definitely much dangerous to feed than raw bird bones. although not deadly, they can easily break teeth for example.

Raw bones with meat, necks actually attached to the bird is definitely not dangerous.
can you plz explain how did this particular dog die from eating turkey neck?? I'm very curious to know.

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau
Dante (Dumpty) ze Stribrneho kamene (9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)
Animal Aid Egypt
nitemares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am certain that some dogs have died from raw bones. In the same way some dogs have choked on kibble and certainly more kibble fed dogs seem to bloat. There is going to be some risk with any food I would think.

I do have a concern mixing kibble with raw though because the kibble is set to digest at a different pH than the raw. And the less acidic pH at which kibbles digest is not as good at inactivating pathogens as the highly acidic one of the dog fed raw only (who is also going to digest those bones better) Have not seen any data on that but I know my dogs always know when the kibble is soaking and anticipation helps with release of the enzymes etc in the digestive system for that food.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dog kibble is a cooked and processed cereal, largely filled with grains and starches that are otherwise indigestible by carnivores and would NEVER be eaten in the wild, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, and coated in fat to make it appetizing and enticing.

Dogs and cats are really the only animals kept as pets that are commonly fed a diet that differs so much from their natural diet, and it doesnt make sense. Many common fish keepers feed flakes, but more experience fish keepers will feed live and frozen whole foods, and species appropriate foods. We feed pellets largely to birds, but these are commonly mixed with seeds, nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables. Some horses are kept on pellets but many are fed a hay and field based diet. Feeding cows a processed, poor diet that was largely cannibalistic (high in beef protein) was the cause of mad cow disease! And none of these herbivore pets are fed fake processed foods high in meat protein (except the cow at times and look what happened there). So why anyone believes processed corn protein is better for our carnivorous pets is beyond me.

The best and most species appropriate diet is raw meat, bones, and organ. This is the easiest for them to digest because it's what they are anatomically and biologically designed to digest. Much less stress on the gi system and overall better absorption and utilization of digested nutrients.

If you feed kibble will I judge you? NO. Raw feeding isnt for everyone. Ive been feeding kibble since my dad passed away in june because I havent had the time, energy, or space to prepare and store enough raw food to feed 5 lbs a day between the 2 boys and still be able to buy enough in bulk that it's economical. And that's ok. There are better quality kibbles. I feed canidae pure because it's grain free and limited ingredients. I will go back to raw in the future.

And there are many dogs that do fine on kibble. Is a raw diet the BEST for them? YES I 100% believe so and will argue thst until the day I die. But the best diet for humans would be a neanderthal based diet - no seasonings outside of limited salt use, no grains, limited starch, no sauces, mostly raw, etc... most people simply wont do that. I sure wont. But you can have thay mcdonalds every now and then, splurge on an ice cream cone, as long as you're active, fit, and try to eat a well balanced diet, it's not going to kill you. Most things are fine in moderation

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz

Last edited by Anubis_Star; 10-16-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
It was probably a smaller dog that choked on a larger turkey neck bone. Sadly some people have little common sense.

Raw chicken bones digest VERY easily since chickens are slaughtered very young and are not fully mature. Unless your dog chokes its not going to splinter and kill it. Ive seen dogs come in choking on treats, on rawhide, I saw a small chihuahua choke on the very large prescription diet kibble for the owners lab. T/D is a science diet prescription food sold by vets that helps keep teeth clean, the kibble is very large to promote chewing. Probably a bit larger than a quarter. Had a 1 year old lab brought in DEAD - owners were gone and it git its head caught in a cheeto bag and suffocated.

The only issue I had with raw - when luther was 13 weeks old the first time he ate raw the chicken quarter bone got stuck on his back tooth and he freaked out. Never had a problem since.

Point is anything can pose a choking risk. You shouldnt feed cooked bones because they splinter and can greatly damage the gi tract. Larger heavy bones like beef and pork bones are even more dangerous because they're harder. Not only do they not digest as easily so you have a higher risk of causing an intestinal obstruction, but they can also break the teeth because they are so hard.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

How do you stop cross contamination after dog eats raw chicken. Example, dog eats chicken, dog licks child, child gets salmonella. I don't have a dog right now but will be getting one soon and was curious about raw.
J and J M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

There's some good info on raw on this forum..I can't see my self taking the time to feed a proper raw diet at reasonable prices so I just feed the best kibble I can (orijen)
Montu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.