German Shepherds Forum banner

Bone Meal treat? Making dehdrated Sweet potato or jerky style treats?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
OK,so Cullen has bouts of Colitis, which seem to be brought on by foreign foods mixed with stress ( yea, first time was during some family in and our time, but I didn't realize it, and this last time was when our female was in heat, both times he had eaten something compeltely weird to him.. rawhide once, cheap dog food the next) ... No allergies, but I have always been very straight forward, keeping ONE type of treat in he house and whatnot. Now, because of this, I decided that I would prefer to make all of our own treats from here on out. I am considering purchasing "sawdust/bonemeal" from the butche, and curious to see if anyone has grain free treat recipes using that.

Also, I have purchased these sweet potato sticks, pure sweet potato, and he LOVES them (when he is sick, we use sweet potato instead of rice!). Do I just cut sweet potatos into sticks an stick in the dehydrator? Thought they may come out super hard that way? Also, anything ELSE besides meat that I can put in there that is good for them?

#3 ·
Hm, betting I can, thanks! I think I will ask him next time I am in there! They have the entire cow, I am betting they have it all!

#5 ·
OK,
Also, I have purchased these sweet potato sticks, pure sweet potato, and he LOVES them (when he is sick, we use sweet potato instead of rice!). Do I just cut sweet potatos into sticks an stick in the dehydrator? Thought they may come out super hard that way? Also, anything ELSE besides meat that I can put in there that is good for them?
Be careful of commercial Sweet Potato brands Per Dr. Karen Becker: According to the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) i, vets are now reporting health problems linked to sweet potato treats similar to those related to chicken jerky treats also made in China.
The brands currently implicated in the sweet potato treat problem are:
· Beefeaters Sweet Potato Snacks for Dogs (16 varieties of yam-related treats)
· Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken Yam Good Dog Treats (Nestlé Purina)
· Drs. Foster and Smith (exact item not specified)
· Dogswell Veggie Life Vitality (4 varieties)
Article: Another Deadly Dog Treat from China?

#6 ·
Here is a recipe for you. I made up this recipe for a friend of mine who wanted a “non-meat” treat.
My Oh My Pumpkin Pie Pixies
Whisk the following together in a bowl:
1 – 15 Ounce Can Pumpkin (without spices)
1 – Egg (optional if allergies. Just add a little more Chicken Broth or liquid)
1/3rd Cup Chicken Broth (water, apple juice or any liquid can be used)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (or vegetable oil)
1/32nd to 1/8th teaspoon Cinnamon (opt)
1/32nd to 1/8th teaspoon of Ginger (opt)
1/32nd to 1/8th teaspoon of Cloves (opt)
ADD THE FOLLOWING TO THE ABOVE:
*Add 3 Cups Rye Flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
NOTE: If you have a grain sensitive dog, you can use a non-grain flour such as Amaranth or Arrowroot Flour, but you would have to adjust the amount of flour in the recipe. They crumble a little more when using Non-grain flours.
*Dough will be very stiff and hard to work.
*Let it set for about 5 minutes so that the flour can absorb the liquids.
*Sprinkle, in a large circle, about ¼th cup of Rye Flour on to the counter top and place dough on top of it.
*Dip hands in flour, then pat dough down and knead in about 1 ½ additional cups of Rye Flour, a little at a time, turning over and adding more Rye Flour as needed to the surface to keep from sticking.
*Rub some flour on a rolling pin and roll dough out into a rectangle about 1/8th inch thick. Don’t worry about the cracked or uneven edges. They will just become unshaped cookies.
*Cut strips about 1/2” wide with a butter knife, then, cut across to make them about the size of a dime. No ruler needed! Just cut and go!
*Place on "Pam" sprayed cookie sheet.
*Bake at 325* for 20-25 minutes for crunchy. You can bake for about 12 minutes if you want them softer.

*You’ll get over 500 little cookies cutting them in this fashion or 2 pounds of cookies for about $3! You can also cut these out with a cookie cutter for gifts but using the rye flour will work better for this!

#7 ·
Thanks for the recipe I think I will try making some this week!

#8 ·
I have dehydrated sweet potatoes in my dehydrater.

I just slice them up into 'chips" and let them sit in there, one thing they do shrink up alot, but my dogs love them:)

#9 ·
Thanks Jakoda... Sweet potatos are seriously brittle and hard to start, so was curious if there was something I should do to them before tossing in the dehydrator that would keep them " gummy" or.. you know.. not crunchy!

#10 ·
Mom2... btw.. I don't feed ANYTHING made in China.. I don't even own CHINA made in CHINA... I started giving up on products from their country the day I saw the GHB in the kids toys.. enough for me... Made in the USA only!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.