Switch from kibble to home cooked - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switch from kibble to home cooked

OK I've looked through a lot of the posts & I'm looking for a good recipe for a daily diet for Max. He has been eating EVO for the last few months & it's such a pain to get him to eat sometimes. I've tried mixing other stuff with it canned EVO, cottage cheese, plain yogurt. If I can find a good starter recipe that I can mix with the EVO that would be great. I don't want to go through another abrupt food switch so I'm thinking about 2 months of adding a small amount of the home cooked food with the kibble increasing over the two months.
Ken P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

There is a ton of recipes out there....mine is now on raw but he began on home cooked. I liked the stew idea....placing all your ingredients (ground/ cut up meats, veg if using, grain if using) in a huge pot, add some water, cook like you would for yourself!.....place into containers, use what you need for a few days, freeze the rest......the first link gives you food ideas and feeding guidelines for such a stew...

Home food for cats and dogs (This is from a vet)

This is from a nutritionist with the complete nutritional breakdown

HILARY'S BLEND - Sample recipe from the cookbook

Don't know if it's what you had in mind...good luck

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think HILARY'S BLEND - Sample recipe from the cookbook will work to start with. I want the recipe to be good enough with a nutritional balance so once Max is off EVO I don't have to make major changes to his diet.

Thanks!
Ken P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

How many servings is the Hilary's R12 Adult Blend recipe? The recipe looks similar to some of the ones I make except for the cod liver oil.

I feed my dogs a combination of home-cooked food and dry kibble (Wellness Core) supplemented with a multivitamin, fish oil, and glucosamine.

The recipes for their home-cooked meals I get from a couple of books I purchased and the internet. But basically, I use "regular people food" that I buy at the grocery store, and prepare it the way you would prepare any healthy meal (roasting the meat, steaming the vegetables, fresh fruits when possible etc.) but without the added salt, sugar or preservatives.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
I think HILARY'S BLEND - Sample recipe from the cookbook will work to start with. I want the recipe to be good enough with a nutritional balance so once Max is off EVO I don't have to make major changes to his diet.

Thanks!
No prob!....hope it works for you....I don't have her book, but if you're interested in it, it is available to order on her site.....

P.S. Trina "How many servings is the Hilary's R12 Adult Blend recipe? The recipe looks similar to some of the ones I make except for the cod liver oil."

Looking at the recipe it makes 1000 grams....you would need to find ur dog's weight in the feeding sched., but it looks like it would be a full day of food (not taking into account any other type of food fed or mixed such as kibble)

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
P.S. Trina "How many servings is the Hilary's R12 Adult Blend recipe? The recipe looks similar to some of the ones I make except for the cod liver oil."

Looking at the recipe it makes 1000 grams....you would need to find ur dog's weight in the feeding sched., but it looks like it would be a full day of food (not taking into account any other type of food fed or mixed such as kibble)
Thanks.

I did see that, but I'm so accustomed to measuring their food by volume/cups instead of by weight/grams. Not a biggie, since I like to make their meals in batches anyway. I'll just double or triple the recipe, put into individual serving cups and see what it works out to.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

This recipe is from a friend. Recipe - Fresh Dog Food - MixingBowl.com. She has two goldens and they have the most beautiful coats! My Franklin is moving from puppy food soon and this is what I'm planning on transitioning him to.
themurphyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you need to be really careful with recipes you receive free on the internet. Many times you will get what you pay for.

For example one recipe listed here is a disaster in the nutrient department,

Quote:
Originally Posted by themurphyz View Post
There is no way there is enough calcium, phos, zinc or iodine in that recipe and I am very sure there are other problems. Maybe great for a treat or a supplement of fresh foods, but for a day in day out diet- no.

Now this one looks better, it is analyzed and supplemented to standards which is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
Another good resource is Monica Segal. She has books and booklets with recipes or you can learn to do it yourself. She also write a booklet on supplementing a commercial diet that I think is a great resource,

Enhancing Commercial Diets

"You feed a commercial diet and want to supplement with fresh foods. How can you do this without unbalancing the diet? Are certain supplements helpful? Are there any that you should not be using? The answers to these, and other commonly asked questions, are right here!"

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Homemade for both

If you go for homemade dog food, why don't you go one step further?
I come with recipes that are both suitable for my best friend and human consumption,
Making the switch does not require too much homework.
Give it a try.
Dogrrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrrific View Post
If you go for homemade dog food, why don't you go one step further?
I come with recipes that are both suitable for my best friend and human consumption,
Making the switch does not require too much homework.
Give it a try.
I was thinking of just that. My own diet consists mainly of chicken breast, brown rice or millet, and veggies.

If I add fruit and maybe a multivitamin for the dogs it SEEMS like it should be OK, but there is so much nutrition opinion out there it's a bit confusing.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.