Share recipes on Cooked Diets - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Share recipes on Cooked Diets

Anyone got some recipes to share on cooked Diets for Puppies and older GSD's?
Koicare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Share recipes on Cooked Diets

No real recipes but we use the crock pot for whole rabbit and we also get some whole(guts& bone) extra fine ground rabbit and brown it. But we are working on a elimination diet.Also working on the DW to move towards a raw diet.just put a copy of the barf diet in the bathroom in hopes she will read it.LOL
harlanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

My usual recipe is probably too basic and obvious to be worth posting, but I will anyway. I mix it with with kibble, and I doubt it would provide complete nutrition on its own.

1 to 1 1/2 lbs. chicken gizzards, chicken breast, ground turkey, or lean ground beef

1/2 cup white rice

2 or 3 carrots, chopped fine, and/or other dog-healthy vegetables

1 tbs canola oil or olive oil

2 cups filtered water

Simmer carrots and rice for about 15 minutes, covered tightly, then add meat, return to a good simmer, and cook for another 15 minutes, covered tightly. Turn off heat, stir, replace lid, and let it sit till all the liquid is absorbed.

Ada, female GSD mix, RIP
Fafhrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

With the exception of the oil, this recipe is something we feed Sammy as well. I shudder when my pil bring home off-brand dog food (who knows what's in that stuff? It's written in Polish, so I have no idea...) from Tesco or Biedronka (horrible, off-brand grocery store chain, worst quality ever, bleh).

We also usually sub groats (not so common in the U.S. but quite popular here) for rice-they have the consistency of brown, long grain rice, and Sammy really likes it. They absorb liquid (such as chicken broth!) easily, so it works well for our concoctions. We usually boil random chicken pieces with dog healthy veggies, shred the meat from the bones, conserve the broth and serve it all together (meat, veg, and broth).

He's never been one to eat dry dog food-he either eats something along those lines or a mixture of that and canned food. He doesn't even like puppy food, wet or dry, to be honest but we also have him on some puppy supplements recommended by the vet, so I think he's getting what he needs.

If anyone has further suggestions that would be great-I'm also trying to find a decent recipe for dog biscuits. Again, I don't trust the quality of the ones here, and they're also quite expensive, so I think a homemade recipe would be much better. Thanks!
pamlarouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My basic recipe:

4 cups uncooked grains (long grain brown rice, millet, quinoa). Cook in 12 cups of water for 2-3 hours or until very mushy. You may need to add extra water.

2 large sweet potatoes, pureed. 6 large white potatoes, pureed. Add to rice after an hour. Sometimes I use winter squash as well.

Sometimes I also add 2-4 eggs in while the mixture is still hot. This helps bind everything together and adds additional protein.

Allow to cool. Add 1.5 cups pureed veggies and fruits. I often use carrots, kale, leafy green lettuce, parsley and apples.

Add 5 pounds raw meat grind (this includes ground up bones and organ meat so it is fully balanced. Bravo and Primal both sell these. They cost a little over $2/pound).

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are not using a pre-mixed meat grind then you need to add a source of calcium, either finely ground egg shells or bone meal powder.

I vary the grains and the veggies. I use organic whenever possible.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Bowwow! I will definitely have to try this!
pamlarouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks very much I will give these a try!
Koicare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I brought my dog Griffin home when he was 7-week old. At that time he had a very sensitive tummy (he produced loose stool and very skinny even though his apetite was VERY GOOD). I tried several brands of commercial dog food (Nutro Ultra, Canidae, Innova....). He slowly picked up some weight but I was still not happy with the quality of his stools. When he's ~ 4-5 months old I switched to home-prepared diet and OMG I saw dramatic results (no more loose stools and he began to act like a puppy!!)

Here's Griffin's regular diet:

Meat Loaf
15 pounds of ground Chicken (breasts / thighs) or Beef
20-25 large eggs
4-5 pounds of chicken / beef liver
4-5 pounds of sweet potatoes
4-5 pounds of potatoes
200-250 grams of wheat germ

I use KitchendAid Stand Mixer to grind / slice / dice / mix the ingredient. Then I put everything into multiple baking pans and bake for ~80 mins at 380F. This amount of food is enough to feed Griffin for 16-18 days. For each meal Griffin gets a piece of meat loaf PLUS:
* 3/4 cup of home-made "V8" (carrot + celery + cucumber + tomato etc.) OR steamed seasonal vegetables
* rice
* supplements (e.g. nupro, OMEGA 3-6-9)

Occasionally (2-3 times each week), Griffin gets to eat lamb or fish or Natuarl Balance canned food instead of meat loaf (to make sure he gets protein from multiple sources).

If anybody has any comments about my recipe (nutrition etc.) I'm more than happy to hear about them.

<font color="#9966CC">~ Bernice ~</font>

Griffin (GSD), DOB: 3/3/2006

<font color="#999999">Bert (Chow Chow), RIP: 2/19/2005
Wing (Chow Chow), RIP: 6/2/2005</font>
Jolanbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chama's current diet:

1 c. quinoa
1 c. oat groats
1 large sweet potato
1 large can salmon (14.5 ounces)
1 pound ground duck or beef
6 scrambled raw eggs
1 tsp. eggshell powder (I use a coffee grinder to make the powder)
1/2 cup pureed leafy green veggies (lettuce, parsley, kale, etc.)
2 cloves garlic

I cook the grains in 6-8 cups of water for at least two hours. After a half hour I add in the (pureed) sweet potato. After the grains are mushy I add in the meat, stirring it in so that it cooks quickly and is well distributed. I also add the scrambled raw eggs at this time so that they cook up. After the food cools I add the canned salmon, eggshell powder, garlic and veggies.

I do not add other vitamins b/c that's covered in Chama's supplements. If I were feeding this to another dog I would add additional vitamins like kelp, lecithin and B, A and E.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.