Stranger fear? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Stranger fear?

I have noticed now that Bella, 6 months old, has barked and shyed away from my dad and from my father in law. I tried to figure out the problem becuase shes not like that with all men. I finally realized that both of them come into my home like a whirlwind. They are not mean or anything but just loud and can be boisterous. So this weekend the in-laws came to town and my father in law is all shook up because "he's never been rejected by a dog". I tried to explain that if he would be calm and give her time she would maybe approach him and that if she didnt I didnt want him to try to force her. It took he about an hour and a half to get used to my dad last month and then they were best buds. I know that part of the GSD nature is to be reserved and aloof. Do you think she is doing just that or maybe it could be more? She will get her hackles up, bark and stay clear of them. My neighbor is a big guy and can be loud but when he comes over she just sits by him and begs for belly rubs.

Bella Sara 7/04/07
Niyol Von Der Sauk a/k/a Tanis 6/1/09
JenniferH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Stranger fear?

my dog the same thing at 6 months its a male dog though.I think your dog will come out of it.Just make sure the nobody rushes in on her.you have to get in there way then.The dog needs to feel that you are in control,if she does she wil trust your judgement.With your family it's easier then with a stranger but if you don't get up tight and relax the dog will sense you are weary and will do the same.Now with your neigbor I have the same thing,big guy a drinker and loud.My dog still leary of him but he says hi and tells him good boy etc.the dog doesn't growl and him nor bark anymore.He just looks.Our dogs first role is herding thats what there bred for.They bred this type of behavior into them.You can't have a GS herding a herd of sheep and a kid comes buy and he runs over to them.just don't get mad at him stay calm but the boss and the dog will respect that more.
matt1970lemans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Our dogs change alot and we need to be prepared during their first few years.

Have you seen and read thru - - >Why bother to 'socialize' and I want photos/videos of puppies/dogs.....

You need to figure out a way to help your puppy to work thru times like these and fix it. It's normal that they may go thru fear stages but it's our job to be proactive and teach them it's ok.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Firstly its always helpful to know young shepherds are almost always skittish and skeptical of things growing up. I have a shepherd she will be 1 in March. One minute she's the god almighty and the very next min. She runs like a freight train from the same thing she braved up to.

As a owner let your puppy experience as much as you can. It helps your puppy understand and become comfortable with things.

Teach your puppy as much as you can.
Part of my babies job as a family member is to be a guardian. Right now she's skittish to things that run at her. So when we are playing outside. I'll hide treats in my pocket and run at her and when she at me. She wins.

Its all about the experiences you give your dog as a puppy. And how you help over come any anxiety at that time. If your puppy is sheltered. Expect a skittish mess.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.