Puppy BITING!!! Teaching Bite Inhibition - Page 19 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #181 (permalink)

I have been using the stand up and turn away to stop the biting. It works good for me. But when my girlfriend tries to stand up and turn her back ruger just goes after her harder. Do you guys think I should try a time out or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
NDrugerGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #182 (permalink)

With Ava, it was impossible for me to leave the room, because she would quite literally sink her teeth into my leg (or just my jeans, when I was lucky) and not let go. We got Bitter Apple spray, and that is what ultimately saved my legs and ankles! We only had to spray her a couple of times before she realized that any time she saw the bottle, she needed to stop. I highly recommend getting a bottle.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
With Ava, it was impossible for me to leave the room, because she would quite literally sink her teeth into my leg (or just my jeans, when I was lucky) and not let go. We got Bitter Apple spray, and that is what ultimately saved my legs and ankles! We only had to spray her a couple of times before she realized that any time she saw the bottle, she needed to stop. I highly recommend getting a bottle.

So you are spraying it right at the pup? We tried spraying it on our feet and bottoms of our pant legs. It didn't even take Karly a day to figure out that she just had to bite higher to avoid it. This girl is something else.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #184 (permalink)

I have been using the bitter apple spray too. now I know he is choosing to bite me cause sometimes he will come up to me, see me holding the bottle, look at it look at my knee,foot hand arm whatever is closet to him and furthest away from the bottle look back and forth a few times .you can see the wheels turning do I have time to nip and run away before the bottle can get me--yup i do i get a nip then he runs up play growls and air snaps the bottle. cutest thing ever just gotta laugh. it does get better he hasnt broken skin in a few weeks now at least on me .hubby on the other well, that is what happens when you play rough .hang in there it does get better, I cant wait for the day I no longer need bitter apple lol
I spray myself and if I can I spray it in his mouth as he bites me . takes some practice in the timing though. I also have to make sure I didnt miss a bathroom signal lol
Aramis' Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #185 (permalink)

Yes, spray it directly into the dog's mouth as she is launching at you. It tastes very bad, and it shouldn't take her long to associate the bottle with that unpleasant taste.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master Member

Starting to see this problem arise with my 7 week old Rex. Tried the yelping...he does stop, but then he starts barking at me and that gets him playing rougher. So tonight I started the getting up and walking away (more like tripping away, since he follows between my legs). Which solves the problem until I sit to play with him again. So far he hasn't caught on. I have a 4 year old Lab that plays very well with him and my MIL that's staying with us has a Dalmatian puppy, do you think those 2 will help with BI? I know he missed out on that with his liter mates and mother since we got him at 6 weeks. Should I encourage even more "puppy play time"? The way the 3 of them play...I may not have a house left!! LOL

Rex - male GSD
Smudge - male Black Lab
Butters and Frank - the kitties
DFrancis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #187 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Puppy BITING!!! Teaching Bite Inhibition

I didn't do anything other than redirection.
Knowing that my pup was capable of puppy biting, I always made it my business to have a toy nearby.

As soon as my pup would bite, I would say "no bite" and put the toy in her mouth instead and say "good girl".

Today, she's 18 months, and she still "wants" to play rough. But as soon as she gets the urge, she voluntarily gets a toy. It's clear as day that understands that biting is no allowed, unless it's a toy.

Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #188 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Puppy BITING!!! Teaching Bite Inhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I didn't do anything other than redirection.
Knowing that my pup was capable of puppy biting, I always made it my business to have a toy nearby.

As soon as my pup would bite, I would say "no bite" and put the toy in her mouth instead and say "good girl".

Today, she's 18 months, and she still "wants" to play rough. But as soon as she gets the urge, she voluntarily gets a toy. It's clear as day that understands that biting is no allowed, unless it's a toy.

Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #189 (permalink)

We have tried all of the above with our 9 week old Whisky ("yipe"ing, substituting a toy, putting him in time out, a firm "no!", and a can with pennies in it) most of those worked for maybe a day but then he is unaffected by it. We also have a 3 year old and a 4 year old miniature poodle who he drives nuts by romping with any trying to (often succeeding) bite their ears and back of their necks where their spines begin. Eventually they do have enough of it and snap back at him and at least once or twice a day one will play and rough house with him which he loves.

I think my issues as of yet are consistency with trying so many corrections over a 2 week span of having him in our house and also just keep reminding myself he is a 9 week old puppy and will get better. When he wakes up from a sleep he is extremely gentle and only kisses but when he's wound up, watch out! It's also funny because with new people he is phenominal, he wags his tail and trots up and only gives them kisses as they pet him but when he gets back to the house with his "littermates" he is a wildman. Since he is also in his fear stage until about 12 weeks whenever he hears a bark while in our fenced-in back yard (even one of the poodles who he lives with) he runs to the door scared. He also is one of the most shy at puppy preschool although by the end of each class always seems to liven up and play some.

I think the best advice for someone with a pup in this stage is to remember they are so young and they will learn their mouth is not a tool we want them to use freely just be consistent and give it time. It will more than pay off in the long run!
GSD Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #190 (permalink)

Ahhhhhhhh! I am so aggravated today with Miss Karly! It was just a few days ago that I was telling everyone how much better she has gotten about biting after going 2 days without being bitten (well, at least not hard). I guess I shouldn't have opened my mouth. She used to bite at our feet and hands. Now she has moved on to biting at the legs and arms. She is not nipping. She is full-mouth biting and often breaking skin. She is not at all aggressive and this is clearly play to her. Everything I've tried just gets her more excited. Redirecting does not work at all. Toy put into mouth-toy dropped-goes after arm or leg. I guess I should be thankful she never goes for the face.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.