German Shepherds Forum banner

1 year old rescued GSD

585 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dogma13 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have some previous experience with GSDs at the dog daycares I worked at, training my friend's shepherd, and a few at a rescue I use to volunteer at, and none of them acted like this. However, three months ago I rescued a 1 year old boy. He's great. Honestly. Ulrich is a great boy! And everything else he's learning super fast... but if there is a toy in the yard he HAS to have it. His focus is completely on that toy. I've taught him focus and he's good with it until there's a toy. We have do a ton of mental stimulate with with toys and training, we go on mileS long hikes every single day rain or shine. Something I have done since I adopted my husky 13 years ago. In addition, we play in the back yard for hours. So, I know it's not mental or physical stimulation he's lacking.

The person I got him from said her dad use to breed GSDs, and Ulrich was exceptionally hard headed.

Is it his age? Will he eventually stop? How do I get him to stop? It's hard to stop him from ripping it out of my golden's mouth who just wants to do what she's bred for, retrieve, from across the yard. My other 4 dogs, including my golden, do play with him, but sometimes Keaka(golden) just wants to retrieve her toys.

Just as a disclaimer, I ONLY use positive reward training with my dogs. I would sooner separate them then use torture devices such as prong, choke, or shock collars.

See less See more
#2 ·
Either separate them when playing fetch or take turns having one of them in a down/stay while you play fetch with the other one.The latter option is easier to achieve if you have a friend to throw the toy for one dog as you enforce the down/stay.Just a few seconds at first and gradually increase the time.I doubt it's something he'll grow out of,you'll have to manage it however it best works for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.