German Shepherds Forum banner

Another land shark

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rocco1 
#1 ·
Hello , i have a 17 week gsd puppy that is just insane. This is my first gsd and dog that i have owned. Everytime i go outside he switches to bitting mode , it's impossible for me to touch him because he will just snap on me. He does have his calm moments when of couse are after naps, but it worries me because it doesnt seem like nipping , he bites with actual force and even makes an agressive face. I have givin' him a couple smacks on the nose just to experience new ways that can possibly help correct and none have worked, i have tried everything from time outs, ignoring etc.The trainers here at petsmart and petco don't seem reliable so i wouldnt want to waste money.I have heard from everyone that he will grow out if it ,but can not garuntee it with out training that he wont let me do. I can't have him inside because its a small home with a lot of things he can tumble down. I am running out of ideas and trying to keep patience. Please help ?

#2 ·
Letting our puppy bite me (only me), see the bite inhibition sticky helped us ALOT. We also use redirection and time outs. At 16 weeks (our pups age) its not perfect, but much better. He used to do the same scary biting to us too, actually had me scared LOL (I can laugh now). Pushing him away or no bite only made it worse. I made sure to set it up where I invited the bite and could escape quickly and calmly so he gets the point you bite to hard your friend leaves. Turns out he is actually a super sweet pup (most of the time HA) We keep our puppy on a leash inside our home and all eyes are on him or he is in his crate or ex pen. He does pretty well with the leave it command and lots of treats and praise for behaving. Engagement play, like tug or fetch works well for us bonding to, we have special toys we only play with together. Mental and physical exercise is important to. I am no dog trainer, but I am a first time GSD and our pups are about the same age, I had/have the same concerns.

#5 ·
I have a four month old, same issue. Tried everything from the monks of skete put your finger down his throat, yelling ouch when he bites didn't help.

My trainer recommended using bitter apple spray, sprayed it on my hands and arms a good amount and that got his attention in a big way , he didn't like that one bit. I tasted it its nasty!!

This worked for me very well biting down to a minimum. I don't spray it on my pup or in his mouth ever, but u can spray it on items u want him to stay away from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.