Puppy biting my older dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Puppy biting my older dog

I have an 11 year old GS mix supper nice dog, smart healthy, Baby girl is her name. I have a 13 week old GS puppy he has been with me for one month, smart healthy full of himself.

Here is my issue, he is after her continuously non stop, nipping biting. She is correcting him but he isn't getting it !!!, Im afraid she will really hurt him soon. Any advice on correcting his behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

IT IS YOUR JOB TO CORRECT. Sorry but this would be an absolutely never in my house. My dutch learned in no uncertain terms to not bug the old dogs.

It is your job, let me be clear.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

I agree, my vet breeders and other experts have told me my older dog will have to put him in his place and correct him. They do play together some of the time but I have always stepped in when he crosses the line.

Thanks for advice !!!!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Master Member

I've gone through it 3 times. The latest was a new pup with my 10 year old GSD. Constantly at him from below,with very little agitation showed by the senior. The senior also must exhibit some patience and should express his limits. I did step in a lot and I kept them separated by a gate while indoors,allowing the senior to relax. I would allow the pup to push the limits,wait for a correction and intervene either way within a few minutes.It passes.

Last edited by lrodptl; 05-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

That's exactly what my pup is doing, and I also have my older dog behind a gate. She will come out and play with him but then she is like put me behind the gate iv had enough. Its been 11 years since Iv had a puppy, wooooo, fun, exciting, exhausting, frustrating.

Pretty sure its normal, and supper glad to here it will pass!!!! Thanks !!!!! May need a few drinks tonight
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

It should improve. Kojak was 12 weeks old when I put him in with Jenna who is almost 12 years old. I couldn't always be there to correct behavior, but he's a nice pup and she's a tolerant bitch. Evenso, I provided her with an escape route. If she is tired of him, she can go onto the chair and then onto the counter in the inside portion of their room.

The boy will be six months in a few days. She still sits or lies on her counter sometimes. He's not bitey, but he will hump her occasionally. Nutcase! When I let him play with Quinnie (will be 2 years in October), he grabs and she grabs and they slobber each other's heads -- no aggression in it, but it looks scary. Only both dogs look like they are having the time of their lives.

Kojak will walk over to Babsy (Jenna's litter sister) and she will give him the stink-eye, and lift her lip, and he goes the other way. (Babs is normally kenneled with Quinnie half in and half out of the house). Today I finished a pork stew and put the leftovers back into the pot and put it on the floor, then I let Kojak, Babs, and Quinnie out. Kojak and Babs both had their heads buried in the pot cleaning it out at the same time.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

I never allowed the 'they will correct it' stuff. My older male dog is a 32 pound hound mix. He was 2 years old, when I brought Shelby home. She was 8 weeks old, a 'mostly' GSD mix and was quickly more than twice his size. Shelby was contained. Shelby was on a leash, Shelby was behind a baby gate. Shelby did was not allowed to get rough with Boh. Period!

Boh will be 5 this year and Shelby 3. They get along great. I still don't allow rough stuff. Other then a bit of grumbling once and while, on the hounds' part, there has never been a correction given by either dog.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

Not allowing the rough housing between the two is a normal issue in dogs. I saw it with my leading teacher dog (a Whippet intact male). He wold allow a little rough housing, but not in his personal zone at all, under a watchful eye and as soon as it became chaotic he stepped in. He didn't even have to correct them. Seeing him come over made them stop. I learned a lot from that dog. It also means that if they rough house under your feet, bumping into you, that that is very disrespectful on their part and should not be allowed. Unlike dogs, we make excuses like "Oh, they didn't see me." Yeah right...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

Must be bitey working line dogs can't be left together. Really, I have always just introduced the new pup, put him in with whoever seemed to be the best match and it's always worked great.

I don't like the idea of kenneling a puppy alone or crating them for 10 hours every day. And Jenna likes puppies. She was downright depressed when I took the young bitches out of her kennel, and they went to their new homes. I promised to get her a puppy. LOL. She came to the airport with me to pick him up. She has been happy since that day. When I go anywhere with him, I tell her, "I'll bring him back." What will I do without Jenna?
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Master Member

My dogs also grew up to be best pals,first the 2 year old and the 11 year old and now the 7 year old and the 3 year old,but as puppies they were a relentless scourge on the older dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page