German Shepherds Forum banner

15 week old suddenly jumps constantly?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
This really only has escalated in the last week. When she was really little, she jumped a ton, and the first time I met with a trainer she said it was a lack of respect, and showed me a technique for getting her to stop and give me space (three fingers on the jawline or neck, and a sharp "shhhhh!" sound when puppy nails me). And it worked! I've periodically had to remind her of that but overall it seemed to work well. Until this week. She jumps from the front, or behind when you don't even see her coming. And the three finger technique (which admittedly has become more like a whole hand pushing her off when she comes flying through the air at MACH-1) seems to only amp her up even more, like she thinks it's a GAME. I've tried ignoring her until she settles, not talking excitedly to her, it doesn't matter. It's constant.

This morning was the final straw. I have a formal event to go to after work, and she normally eats breakfast in her kennel right before I leave. I put her food in there, she went in there, and I went to grab something. 10 seconds later, I feel something hit me full force from behind. For a moment I seriously thought I was being attacked. She snagged and stained my brand new dress, and all i had time to do was spin around and attempt to smack whatever it was. She didn't even looked phased. This is an example of how she has no motivation to do this--she literally left her breakfast, in the next room, to come jump on me.

ANY advice on how to curb jumping? And better yet, WHY she does it?

See less See more
#2 ·
She does it because it's fun for her.When you push her away it's even more fun!Make it unpleasant for her by putting a drag leash(no loop) on her to step on or to grab hold and give it a pop downward.You can add a command to it (no jump,off,etc.)when all four feet are on the floor.If you add a command while she's in the act of jumping,it becomes a command to jump.

#3 ·
Teach her to sit. She needs to sit until you release her. If she is sitting, she isn't jumping. You need to work on stopping her before she jumps, not after. You can tell, they usually lean down slightly before they spring up. The second you see her prepare to jump, make her sit.

Put her in the crate before you dress up. She doesn't know the difference between good clothing and jeans

#6 ·
Ok,the leash method isn't working for you.You either teach the dog an alternate behavior or make the act of jumping on you unpleasant as per the above mentioned suggestions.Dogs will repeat what is rewarding and avoid what is unpleasant.
I have an acquaintance that had success teaching their dog to put paws on them only on command"Up" and then "Off".His dog stopped jumping whenever the urge struck him and making it a game resolved the problem.
One of my dogs in the past liked to come running and slam into my legs.My solution became "where's your jolly ball?!" And he stopped slamming and veered off to find it.That became a new habit quickly:Get the zoomies and hunt up a favorite toy to run with.
There's a myriad of ways to approach it.

#5 ·
I have had luck with this method from the moncks of new skete
When dog jumps grab both front paws and squeeze, at same time put knee in chest...dont knee with power just place knee on chest then after squeezing for a moment or two push with knee and push both paws away at same time. Holding onto and squeezing the paw/paws has also worked for a dog that liked to beg for attention by constantly pawing.....they generally dont like parts of their bodies being held against their will....

#7 ·
Update on the 5 month old jumping wonder: I've tried variations of this. I've tried kneeing her. I've tried holding both her front paws when I've caught her in a jump so she's forced to stand there against her will.
A trainer suggested leaving a leash on her at all times and correcting her with the leash and saying "OFF" every time she jumps. That doesn't work, it seems to make her even more amped up. It's like I've created the greatest game in the whole world.
Another trainer suggested a squirt bottle. This has been the most successful, as she no longer jumps on me when she sees i have the squirtbottle. But she still jumps on me whenever I don't have the squirt bottle. If I step outside in the yard for 5 minutes unarmed, or when we first get back from a walk, she knows I'm vulnerable. :|

#8 ·
Give her a treat BEFORE she jumps and have her sit. Every time she jumps the behavior ingrains further. Kneeing and squeezing is old school and she can become aggressive when older. It can also physically hurt her. Put on a sturdy pair of jeans and when she jumps on you, turn around and act like a lamp post. Let her jump whatever she wants (hope she doesn't bite as that will change the plan).As soon as she is back on the floor with 4 feet, reward her with play or a treat. Then walk away and practice and practice. No need to harm a pup.

#9 ·
This morning was the final straw. I have a formal event to go to after work, and she normally eats breakfast in her kennel right before I leave. I put her food in there, she went in there, and I went to grab something. 10 seconds later, I feel something hit me full force from behind. For a moment I seriously thought I was being attacked. She snagged and stained my brand new dress, and all i had time to do was spin around and attempt to smack whatever it was. She didn't even looked phased. This is an example of how she has no motivation to do this--she literally left her breakfast, in the next room, to come jump on me.

ANY advice on how to curb jumping? And better yet, WHY she does it?
It's a puppy. 15 weeks old. Not an awful situation. A little exercise and attention is works for my puppy and older male.

#10 ·
How much exercise is she getting? Sounds like she is trying to engage you. Even negative attention is still attention. You should have a good idea about what precipitates her jumping on you. Try to interrupt that chain of events. If she has been rehearsing this for a few months now it won't be extinguished easily. I'd reduce her freedom and limit her chances to jump. Keep her leashed. If she jumps place her in a crate for a few minutes. If jumping equals a time out she should decide it isn't worth it. Don't allow her free run of the house if she will sneak up on you and jump. She hasn't earned that privilege yet.

Be careful about asking her to sit after jumping then giving a reward. You can create a behavior chain where in order to get a treat she thinks she has to jump on you then sit. Also what do you do when she jumps? Scream and yell? I see a lot of people doing the no, no, no, down, down, down thing and basically turning into a real life squeaky toy that makes a lot of funny noises and movements when their dog jumps on them. This make the whole experience so much more fun for the dog like a kid poking their sibling and getting a big reaction.

#11 ·
How much exercise is she getting? Sounds like she is trying to engage you. Even negative attention is still attention. You should have a good idea about what precipitates her jumping on you. Try to interrupt that chain of events. If she has been rehearsing this for a few months now it won't be extinguished easily. I'd reduce her freedom and limit her chances to jump. Keep her leashed. If she jumps place her in a crate for a few minutes. If jumping equals a time out she should decide it isn't worth it. Don't allow her free run of the house if she will sneak up on you and jump. She hasn't earned that privilege yet.

Be careful about asking her to sit after jumping then giving a reward. You can create a behavior chain where in order to get a treat she thinks she has to jump on you then sit. Also what do you do when she jumps? Scream and yell? I see a lot of people doing the no, no, no, down, down, down thing and basically turning into a real life squeaky toy that makes a lot of funny noises and movements when their dog jumps on them. This make the whole experience so much more fun for the dog like a kid poking their sibling and getting a big reaction.
She gets enough exercise. She gets walked 2 times a day minimum, often 3 when I have time.
A sample of her daily routine:
Get up at 5 AM, dogs go out in the backyard while I go back to bed for a half hour, then wake up and go for a run. I come back and walk her for 15-20 minutes. Then she goes back out in the yard while I get ready for work. She goes in her kennel with breakfast when I leave for work. I drive home at lunch, let her out in the yard while I eat, then walk her, then give her lunch in her kennel, go back to work, after work I come home and either let her out in the yard with my older dog if I have to go run errands/have plans for the night, or walk her if I'm home for the night.
When she's with me in the house, she's either baby gated in the kitchen while I make dinner/do dishes/work on training, or she's in her playpen right in front of me in the living room while we watch TV.

#12 · (Edited)
Here's how you take the fun out of the game you created:

Cross your arms. Calmly, silently walk toward her as she jumps, and stand in the place where she's launching from, so she has to move. She'll launch from a new angle. Slide in and claim that space next. Every time she jumps, have her yield ground to you, and claim the spot. That's no fun at all for her to constantly yield to you. They give up after a few times. It's a patient, silent dance of claiming ground every time she jumps -- not excitement, no talking, no anger...just a quiet dance in which the dog yields space to you.

Once she stops, put her in a sit-stay, and pet her. ONLY pet and give attention in this sit-stay position for now. Eventually, when she wants attention, she'll come and sit next to you. Sometimes they sit, get up, wiggle, and sit again, until you notice that they're doing the thing that's supposed to get them attention -- it's FAR less annoying than jumping though.

I've done this process with more foster dogs than I can remember. It works. I try to send them home with sit-for-attention as a replacement behavior for jumping, as I don't want them knocking over young or old people with obnoxious jumping.

#13 ·
The thing about them jumping up... it happens a lot of the time when you don't expect it, you are not ready and its a surprise attack. So like any well conducted experiment you need a constant (trust me, with a GSD you get plenty of variables.) With Jupiter, my 16 month GSD, he went through the land shark phase for about a week and had an issue with jumping up for a few days. Not very common (usually longer, but Jupiter realized life kinda sucked doing those things.

like raisedbyshepherds stated. knee to the chest, which you have tried. That is what I did when Jupiter was your guys age, except i positioned him to jump up on me on purpose and every time he would get the same thing, knee to the chest, not forceful, just a wall between you and him. 5 times in a row. sometimes more but i knew he was coming so I was able to control it. Not just from the front but from the side and back as well. From the back you have to used your heel though (leg @ 90 degrees) You want it to stop while he is young and there is SOOOO many different ways. My wife, who isnt as dog savvy and kids went though the same controlled training. My kids are very young so that portion was improvised but my wife did what i did and after 15 minutes he was done. If you dont have good engagement or control over your dog, or yourself I would try an alternate method. what ever you do, be consistent and get help... it wont be any good for him not jump on you and see everyone else as targets. Use his desire to engage with you for training. TUG, TUG, TUG. PLAY, PLAY, PLAY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.