German Shepherds Forum banner

injured my hand while playing

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Stellar 
#1 ·
yesterday I was playing with stella , while she was mouthing my hand as usual but she put some force and I yelled and she just make it harder thats when i pulled my hands and got injured.

stella is 8 weeks old and is not vaccinated yet so should I worry about rabies or other illness?
she have no contact with other animals she is kept inside the house and monitored at the backyard.
the vet told me that nothing to worry about as he checked the puppy and told me that rabies in only contagious by saliva when the dog reaches final stages and have foam around his mouth.
I didnt go to doctor yet as I think is not necessary.

I live in Tunisia where rabies is very rare we have no raccoons or foxes bats are rare " the OIE World Animal Health Information System in 2011 Tunisia reported one case of rabies in humans, 3 cases in 2012, and 6 cases in 2013."

#2 ·
You don't have rabies. And your 8 week old pup is being totally normal. She is playing and figuring out her place in the world. Puppies are figuring out biting at that stage. GSDs are very mouth oriented. Wash wounds (and we all have had them) with water and soap. More common would be infection after the wound from your environment not the dog. So wash up and put a bandaid on.

Do not let your puppy mouth your hand. Slowly (not over night) teach her to transfer her enthusiasm in the bite to toys and appropriate toys. Do this now. She should not be mouthing you.

Reactions: selzer
#5 ·
now is 14 days after the bite, I have flu symptoms and sore throat but the puppy is still alive, playfull and healthy even one ear is up now and the other is half way up.

I went to doctor and told me that this flu have nothing to do with rabies it is just 3 days ago I took a shower and I went out with wet hair.

am worried because i read the cdc rabies article wich say after 2 weeks if human have rabies he will show flu symptoms

#6 ·
Do you commonly worry about your health? I am not trying to be rude or condescending, I get it because I am a worry wart too. I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't worry, however, I am pretty sure worrying about rabies from a bite from your 8 week old puppy might be an irrational fear.

I'm pretty sure you don't have rabies and I sincerely hope your puppy is not rabid :) :grin2:

#9 ·
two weeks ago at the age of 10 weeks stella had her vaccination called EURICAN DHPPi-L and today at 12 weeks she had eurican chppi2-LR (Live lyophilized live vaccine against Carré disease, adenovirus, parvovirus, respiratory diseases with parainfluenza type 2 dog, leptospiroses and rabies)

The EURICAN range of high titer dog vaccines is comprised by EURICAN DHPPi-L and EURICAN DHPPi-LR for active protection against distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and parainfluenza, against two types of leptospirosis (Leptospira canicola and Leptospira icterohaemorraghiae) and rabies.

is there any other recommended vaccinations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.